Let it all hang out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let it all hang out...

I've always thought it was interesting to be a part of these message boards... some of us baldly reveal who we are in real life, while others prefer to hide behind screen names.

There's a certain bravado that comes with being able to hide so easily while ripping people and spouting absurdities...

...of course my personal theory is that if a person is afraid to reveal who they are in "real life," then most of what they spout tends to be questionable in credibility...

Any other thoughts on this?

Re: Let it all hang out...

[mind in gutter]

Forgive me, but after seeing the title of this discussion and the name associated with it, I really thought that talk was to be of something else.

[/mind outta gutter]

I'm one of those HTers who prefers to remain anonymous...but not so I can hide behind a username to attack ideas and other users.

I belonged to a message board frequented by mostly mainlanders for a number of years before I decided to leave for good. While I never posted my real name or place of employment out there for everyone to read, because I was one of the few posters from Hawai`i and the University of Hawai`i, you didn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to do a Google search and find out my true identity based on stuff I posted here and there.

After a while it became obvious that my personal privacy was invaded so I left. My online behavior was nothing to be ashamed about. Still, there were a few people who didn't agree with what I had to say, so they'd throw my personal isht out there just because they knew it made me uncomfortable.

Because of this, I'd hate to think that people would think of me as less credible because I choose to be cautious and reveal less.

[hijack]

And before I forget...how is Mr. Aquino doing?

[/hijack]
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I TRY to write as though people do know who I am...as I know there are some who do and some who don't. And now my sigfile puts it out there. I'm probably less inclined to dump all over someone as a result, so socially, I behave here as I do in the rest of the world: the usual observations and fun snide remarks peppered among my more supportive posts.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

As one who also keeps my identity hidden behind a moniker, I believe in holding myself to my own standard of ethics. I don't comment on my industry's antics nor solicit on its behalf, I don't speak for my relatives or anyone else (preferring to believe that no one has the right to speak another's truth) and I try my best to comment on the issues itself, instead of getting personal.

When I found HT last year, I immediately rode in on my horse, waving down everybody. I have never been a lurker. Afterwards I realized that there are a LOT of media types here; an industry chock full of people who scare me. Then I googled up my moniker and was suprised to find that this place is googlable/feedsterable etc.

If there is one lesson that I learned growing up on a small island, it is that you cannot make ass, you cannot run away. Everybody is gonna find out. So don't bring shame, don't hurt people and start by being an honorable person. And that is who I want Pua'i Mana'o to be.

aloha, Pua'i

pax

Comment

I have more than half a dozen usernames for the various messageboards I frequent, and maybe half of them aren't tracable to myself. It'll depend on the type of message board and the type of help I receive from there. For instance: here at HT we're basically family, so a few people know me by my real name, while a couple of people met me in real life. If this was on a mainland-based forum, then fewer people will know my real name, even fewer (or none at all) will even meet me locally.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

If there is one lesson that I learned growing up on a small island, it is that you cannot make ass, you cannot run away. Everybody is gonna find out. So don't bring shame, don't hurt people and start by being an honorable person....
            I think this needs to be bolded, underlined, etc. etc. and said over and over again!

Even if my posts remain tactful and on point, there's always someone who won't agree with what I have to say. If a bunch of no-lifes on the mainland can make the effort to find out who I am, I'm sure it'll be easier for someone on HT to do so as well.

Though I choose to remain discreet for now, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be like this always.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by dick
              There's a certain bravado that comes with being able to hide so easily while ripping people and spouting absurdities...
              Oh, absolutely. Like the cowardly, anonymous, anti-everything ranters and petty insult-flingers who seem incapable of intelligent, respectful discussion. Ya, sure, you betcha. These are generally people I ignore, anyway. Or read just for a laugh.

I'm pretty sure these are often very young, inexperienced people (25 and under) still living with their parents. They can't survive "out there." If they behaved that way in real life, they'd get their asses kicked. So they puff up their chests behind the anonymity of Mommy's computer.

The Internet's full of 'em.
              Last edited by MadAzza; July 10, 2006, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                Oh, absolutely. Like the cowardly, anonymous, anti-everything ranters and petty insult-flingers who seem incapable of intelligent, respectful discussion. Ya, sure, you betcha. These are generally people I ignore, anyway. Or read just for a laugh.

I'm pretty sure these are often very young, inexperienced people (25 and under) still living with their parents. They can't survive "out there." If they behaved that way in real life, they'd get their asses kicked. So they puff up their chests behind the anonymity of Mommy's computer.

The Internet's full of 'em.
                but if they are young'uns, there is still hope that they will grow out of it. For me, it is the middle-aged anti-social head cases that cause worry. And we can NOT predict just when/how/why one of those deeevils decides to fixate and stalk someone. Or what sets them off.

That said, although HT is an open forum, Admin does an admirable job of shutting down those who get weird.

Finally, the longer a person commits to becoming part of a particular online community, the less one deviates from his/her true personality. Character is.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                  For instance: here at HT we're basically family, so a few people know me by my real name, while a couple of people met me in real life.
                  You have to keep in mind that while you might know other HawaiiThreads registrated users who will interact through the threads, there is also a large group of Guests who reads these forums for whatever reason that you have no idea who they are.

Comment

Joins in the conversation.

I found HT by chance through our sister site - HawaiiStories.com. I was new and niave. Really. I already was posting about my Life. My desire to leave my Legacy to my grandson and my future grandchildren in my own words. No one would tell my story better than me.

On HT it gives me the chance to share my opinions and thoughts on the various issues in which we face today. Yes, the same chance for my grandkids to someday look up and see what grandma thought and said.

I may not come across as all there and whatevea's. I try my best to input and be part of this Forum at the best I know how with the limitations I have. I have many.

HT is my Online Ohana as well as Wala'au.org. I've had disagreements with other members and thankfully most have been resolved. The privacy issue doesn't bother me for I am a "Blogger." My whole Life for all to see.

If I can help just one person from the many pains and mistakes I have gone through in my life then my stories is all worth the effort. Every entry, post, and comment that I write ~ I write from my heart.

My spellings, punctuations, and way of writing may not be Award Winning or ever make it to "Journalism Quality" but that was never my intentions. I am just me...Auntie Lynn.

One wahine who just loves to write and share!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No lie aunty... you lingle in disguise :P

For me... I pick and choose who I feel I want to let in on my secret!

For those that went to the last HT picnic... you know me personally...

Others on this board... are my family members... so they of course know who I am... and others are co-workers and/or associates that would know who I am.

I don't feel a need to "Let it all hang out" so with that... I zip up my pants!

Comment

My online name is very consistent and very searchable. If you want to know who I am, it's prolly pretty easy. Plus, I just ran for office last time.

I'm not smart enough to disguise anything. I sometimes "make ass" in Hawaii cuz I got no clutch. But you always know I'm speaking my mind and where I'm comin from. In Hawaii, reservation in social settings is the culturally accepted form of behavior. I'm not very reserved and sometimes, culturally speaking, I can be too loud and boisterous. I been trying to get better on that one. Those who know me personally either love me to death or hate my guts. Very little gray area there. For my friends, undying loyalty is your reward.

I want to get to know everyone of you people on this board someday.
                        Y'all are the best.

December 8th is U2. I would love to host a Concert Cocktail party in the early evening, before we go to the show. Maybe I could book a suite instead of a plain old room at the Outrigger.

Then I could get my whack whacks from Aunty, drink with Leo, and give Maddie a kiss. (easy Kimo)
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I'm so unanonymous it's pathetic however, unlike Auntie Lynn, I don't discuss anything online that I wouldn't want seen in a newspaper or on tv!!! Family deserves privacy, except my dad for whom I have a web page!

My user name, tutusue, was given to me on the internet by a poster at soc.culture.hawaii when I announced I was a new grandma! That user name has taken on a life of it's own both online and in real life. I couldn't get away from it if I tried! Nor would I want to as I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it now.

The Hawaii newsgroups gang used to get together on a somewhat regular basis during the late '90s. It was great fun getting to know user names as real people, just like it is now with the HT picnics. However, there were kooks online at that time who also participated in the offline activities. I was stalked by one of them. That wasn't an issue for long, fortunately, but it did teach me that there are kooks who hide behind the safety of a monitor but who are also whacked out enough to show it in person. I'm certainly more cautious now because of that experience but not enough to remain completely anonymous or not show my mug on HT.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                            Those who know me personally either love me to death or hate my guts.
                            Daysog, is that you?

(Okay, that was an inside joke for newspaper types.)

J/K
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I kinda like being able to pick a unique screen name. The name my parents gave is so boring.....

Regardless if you post with your real name or with a screen name, you have to be accountable. If someone connects the dots at a later time, you have to be able to justify what you said. Once you press the button, it is hard to make it go away.

I control the flow of information. People who I converse with via PM know my real name. Kinda prefer it like that.
                              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                              X