Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do Hawaii Residents Like most about Living in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Hawaii Residents Like most about Living in Hawaii?

Hello this is my first Thread so be gentle.

I was reading another thread "I heard something that irked me" or something like that, and it was about people wanting to move away from Hawaii, But people who have infact moved away and had moved back say that they were glad to be back in Hawaii. I 've heard many wonderful things about Hawaii and people that I know of who have lived there or who are currently living there say they love it. So I would like to know from Hawaii residents here on Hawaii Threads or from those who used to live in Hawaii, What do you like about living in Hawaii? What are some of the special things that make this place dear to your heart?
    Last edited by junebloom; July 12, 2006, 12:03 PM.
    www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Re: What do Hawaii Residents Like most about Living in Hawaii?

That there are no natural occuring snakes, bears, wolfs, cougars, foxes, aligators, or other type of pedator type of land animal that if it attacked a human would certainly made national headlines.

Comment

How closely linked we all are. If I don't know you, there's a distinct possibility that each of us knows someone that knows both of us. I get a kick out of meeting people and through our conversations determining all the people we have in common. Gives me an idea of how far our reach actually is. I think it's an interesting thing about Hawaii.

And on another note, I'd like to add that whenever something happens somewhere else on the Mainland or on the globe, you can figure out a Hawaii connection.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        How closely linked we all are. If I don't know you, there's a distinct possibility that each of us knows someone that knows both of us. [...]
        True story...

I was holding a casting session and the audition was by appointment only. Two men came in at basically the same time (appts. were 10 min. apart). While in the waiting room they start talking and, lo and behold, they are first cousins who haven't seen each other in over 25 years! And both live on Oahu! After their auditions they hung out in the waiting room for a couple of hours talking story and catching up. I just love it when stuff like that happens!

To answer the OP's question...
        people
        weather
        people
        ocean
        people
        aloha spirit
        scenery
        people
        slower pace

Did I mention the people?

Comment

The ocean. The warm ocean. The inviting friendly peaceful ocean.

Racing sailboats, swimming, or scuba diving in the ocean. The sand at the beach, when it's everywhere, even on your food, in your car, and down your trunks.

Fishing, spearing, trapping, or collecting something that I will eat from the ocean. Waipio Valley, cuz it's got great streams, beach, surf, and ocean.

Oh yeah......Surfing, boogie boarding, body surfing, kayaking, or anything else taking place at the edge of the ocean. Including building sand castles with my daughter.

Wanna go to the beach? Or should we go sailing?
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            Two men came in at basically the same time (appts. were 10 min. apart). While in the waiting room they start talking and, lo and behold, they are first cousins who haven't seen each other in over 25 years! And both live on Oahu!
            Same story, different example: Ernie Cruz, Jr. and Amy Hanaialii Gilliom bumped into each other at a famliy reunion and it was only then that they realized they were cousins!
            After all those years of performing together frequently!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The land beneath my feet feels alive. It is my kin. I can look at it genealogically and understand that both it and I descend from the oldest of Hawaiian gods. I can look at it ancestrally and understand that my own toiled the soil, lived, birth, worked, shitted upon, died upon, turned to dust all to become of that same soil that will in turn do for my descendants. It reminds me that my whole life has as its chief goal to become a worthy descendant of my great ancestors, and to live up to the responsibility of becoming a worthy ancestor to my future descendants, by commanding of me to live in the strongest, most humane, most kind, most responsible life I can muster.

It is my mother, my provider, my faith, my sustenance, my home. It deserves every drop of my blood and so much more. I get that from living in Hawai'i.

pax

Comment

I loved the nature on land, the nature on sea, and the mellow people of Hawai'i. Then I go back to the mainland and everyone on the highway are driving like maniacs :P

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  The land beneath my feet feels alive. It is my kin. I can look at it genealogically and understand that both it and I descend from the oldest of Hawaiian gods. I can look at it ancestrally and understand that my own toiled the soil, lived, birth, worked, shitted upon, died upon, turned to dust all to become of that same soil that will in turn do for my descendants. It reminds me that my whole life has as its chief goal to become a worthy descendant of my great ancestors, and to live up to the responsibility of becoming a worthy ancestor to my future descendants, by commanding of me to live in the strongest, most humane, most kind, most responsible life I can muster.

It is my mother, my provider, my faith, my sustenance, my home. It deserves every drop of my blood and so much more. I get that from living in Hawai'i.
                  So...nothing particularly special to you, then?
                  Seriously - it's posts like this that make me think "I'm really going to enjoy this thread." Mahalo, junebloom, for starting a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by junebloom
                    Hello this is my first Thread so be gentle.

I was reading another thread "I heard something that irked me" or something like that, and it was about people wanting to move away from Hawaii, But people who have infact moved away and had moved back say that they were glad to be back in Hawaii. I 've heard many wonderful things about Hawaii and people that I know of who have lived there or who are currently living there say they love it. So I would like to know from Hawaii residents here on Hawaii Threads or from those who used to live in Hawaii, What do you like about living in Hawaii? What are some of the special things that make this place dear to your heart?

The W-I-D-E variety of ethnic foods available here and the weather. If you haven't lived in the dust bowls of Kansas then you just cannot fully appreciate the temperate climate we enjoy here in our beautiful islands.

Oh and very small kine carpet shock. Not da big bambucha lightning bolt kine you get during the winter in Idaho.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      So...nothing particularly special to you, then?
                      Seriously - it's posts like this that make me think "I'm really going to enjoy this thread." Mahalo, junebloom, for starting a good one.

Kudos to Junebloom!

You know, I have been in places across the planet where I would click my heels three times and I find I still was over there™. And get plenty of places over there™ where opening the dryer door can have your clothes jump out at you because you forgot to use downy! Static can be viscious stuff!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                        The land beneath my feet feels alive.[...beautiful snip...]It is my mother, my provider, my faith, my sustenance, my home. It deserves every drop of my blood and so much more. I get that from living in Hawai'i.
                        WOW!
                        Beautiful reply. Thanks, PM.

Comment

Wow you all really make this place sound fantastic. I'm originally from New Jersey and I love my hometown. But I can't say it has anything on Hawaii. But I think anyone who can express such a love for one place, this place must be one of distinction, true beauty and truly have atmosphere of connecting.
                          www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X