Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Being Black in Hawaii...

You can tell how often I shop there Yes Pearl Ridge

And everytime I go there... I truly say to myself... dang...

so this where all the brothers been...

That's the great thing about observation.... each of us observe different things.

For me... Being half black and missing seeing alot of my black side of my family... I always notice when I see a large amount of my fellow N***** (that's gonna stir up a whole nother discussion... however... to keep it on topic...) I was quite shocked to see such a large proportion there... it was like a new found discovery of memory senses!

I'm sorry if my observations are not the same as yours... however, from my 22 years in the mainland...being born in Compton, California...and moving to A white Society up in Norhthwest Washington... to Now Hawaii... I do notice these type of things....

Truth be told... no matter one way or the other... I told everyone when this first thread went out that I would be very into it...

Part of the beauty of HT is being able to post your observations and read what others observe.... obviously... we observe different things when we go there.
    I've never seen anything like you describe in my 28 years here.
    That's the beauty of living here so long...

If I went to PearlRidge for 28 years... I wouldn't notice this either... however, this was my observation.

Comment

Well, maybe I'm color-blind to other people (Good!) or I'm so single-mindedly focused on what I'm after at the mall that I pay no attention to them (Um, bad!).
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I used to live about a mile up the street from Link, I think... and maybe I wasn't color-blind enough as a kid, 'cause I definitely noticed. Not in a, "How weird, how uncomfortable" way, but in a simple, "Huh, isn't that interesting" way. I definitely think proximity to mililtary bases and housing communities as being one reason.

Up on that ridge, I'd rarely see black families -- almost everyone was Japanese at the time. Now living in Mililani, there are black families everywhere (as well as, of course, families of other colors). Military families of any color are certainly prevalent.

Y'know... As I got older, I started to see Pearlridge as also a place for people -- of any color -- who thoughtthey were black... or otherwise idolized various stereotypical aspects of black culture. Right down to local punks cursing and spitting and using "the N word" in the misguided delusion that they were "one of them." I always wondered if it was some kind of regional cross-polination going on, or if it was just an expected result of the pop-culture popularity of "gangsta" traits and styles. There was a fair amount of it among all adolescents, but it seemed very amplified there.

For some reason, I'm reminded of this discussion of the Popeye's Chicken location on Dillingham. Where it seemed everyone knew what scrivener was talking about, but no one wanted to say it.

This is certainly an interesting discussion... the delicacy with which we're trying to approach it is both heartening and slightly amusing. I will say that while it's true blacks are a minority "like everyone else," I would say that blacks are much more of a minority (1 percent) here than... well, other minorities. Moreso than Caucasians, to be sure -- and it wouldn't be unfair to say that even despite a relatively large Caucasian population, they sometimes feel specifically targeted negatively for their skin color.

So I really don't know how much many of us -- those that aren't black ourselves -- can speak to the experience! But we're trying, and trying to be helpful, so that's gotta count for something.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          [...]I will say that while it's true black are a minority "like everyone else," I would say that blacks are much more of a minority here than... well, other minorities.[...]
          True.

Local advertising, be it Hawaii, the south, the midwest, Alaska...wherever...is skewed toward the demographics of the area and the product. Take time to really watch our local commercials and if you find yourself in another state, seriously watch their local commercials, too. National commercials skew towards the demographics for the product.

Comment

Obviously I'm going to have to be more observant at Pearlridge.

The guy across the street from me is a neurosurgeon at Kaiser who happens to be black, but I only notice him when he goes jogging by and waves at me. His kids are all grown so I never see them either.

I think I may be a tad self-centered.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Aloha Alex! I'm Auntie Lynn. First of all...Welcome to our Online Ohana at HT! I come from a very large Ohana. On my Potorican side - I have relatives who have very beautiful dark skin and those who pull on the Cherokee Indian side have stunning Blue/Grayish eyes, Fire Red Hair and skin as white as snow. Still others have shimmering bronze with ebony black hair.

Ahhhh...the joy to go to Family Parties and to see the richness and diversity in which our ancestors gave to each of us ~ amazing!

I have numerous neices and nephews who have married into other cultural backgrounds as well. What a mix-up group we are. No one mentions skin color or how any of us looks. We just love each other.

Being Black in Hawaii? No problemo. Not from my Ohana and me!

I make a great Ham Hock with Black Eyed Peas and Fresh Corn Bread to boot. Collard Greens on the side. I invite you and yours for a meal. PM me when you're ready.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by alexjp
                Ok...so I have read the forums, and have read several threads about the negative experiences many white people have in regard to "racism" and "discrimination." What is the attitude towards Blacks (especially in Oahu)? I live in AZ so I am used to being in the minority, however, I am not used to racism and discriminition and would be extremely offended, hurt, and angry for being treated differently for being black. I have traveled around the world, so I am used to the curious stares I get from locals and natives. But, as a minority, I look at all my brown skin and black skin people as extended family... Just wondering if the people of Hawaii feel the same...
                We have plenty of black folks in the Puna district of the Big Island. As a matter of fact, retiring Rep. Helene Hale, D-Puna, just happens to be black and she's held one office or another here since 1954.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Ok...so I have read the forums, and have read several threads about the negative experiences many white people have in regard to "racism" and "discrimination." What is the attitude towards Blacks (especially in Oahu)? I live in AZ so I am used to being in the minority, however, I am not used to racism and discriminition and would be extremely offended, hurt, and angry for being treated differently for being black. I have traveled around the world, so I am used to the curious stares I get from locals and natives. But, as a minority, I look at all my brown skin and black skin people as extended family... Just wondering if the people of Hawaii feel the same...
                  I don't think you'll have any problems. As others here have already stated, most people are going to ask if you're in the military. If anything, locals will be more interested in you because you're black.
                  I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                    We have plenty of black folks in the Puna district of the Big Island. As a matter of fact, retiring Rep. Helene Hale, D-Puna, just happens to be black and she's held one office or another here since 1954.
                    Just goes to show, this stuff is only skin deep. I've always respected Helene Hale and enjoyed her occasional cantankerous riffs. Someone I've watched work, off and on, since my days at UH. And all this time, I had no idea she was African American. Wonderful! Here's a nice write-up on her legacy, "a good pain in the 'okole."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      Ahhhh...the joy to go to Family Parties and to see the richness and diversity in which our ancestors gave to each of us ~ amazing!

I have numerous neices and nephews who have married into other cultural backgrounds as well. What a mix-up group we are. No one mentions skin color or how any of us looks. We just love each other. Auntie Lynn
                      Auntie, your post brought tears to my eyes (in a good, proud-to-live Hawaii, happy-to-be-part-of-your-online-ohana sort of way).

Thank you! I'm sure Alex -- and others who have and haven't yet posted -- feel welcomed by your aloha.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        Auntie, your post brought tears to my eyes (in a good, proud-to-live Hawaii, happy-to-be-part-of-your-online-ohana sort of way).

Thank you! I'm sure Alex -- and others who have and haven't yet posted -- feel welcomed by your aloha.
                        Pretty Lady, you made me cry too.

Aloha is to be shared ALL the time.

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha HT....my first post here..... I too like Alex have been coming here to read this forum for some time now. Sooo glad that Alex ask this question because I surely have been afraid to ask because I was not sure what type of response I will get....sorry to say but there are some strong personalities in here...

I am greatful for all the great info that those that has reponded to this question provided... enough to make me finally register and write here for the first time.... mahalo...

I too have traveled the world... also came from Africa originally..... and used to the many cultures and people around the world. I will be moving to Oahu hopefully by the end of this year, at the latest.... just need to sell my house first...

I wanted to take this further.... I am not in the military ... at least not anymore.... and therefore will need a job once I get there....wish I can get a job before moving... but it's hard to get a job in my field of HR without being there...HR is such a personal job that people want to meet you and all...not like IT that they will hire you over the phone... I have been applying to HR jobs and I do get several emails but they just will not really consider me until they can meet me.

My main concern is this....Will being black make it difficult to get a job over there...??? and I don't mean working at at a restaurant or the mall.... I have been in Human Resources for over 10 years therefore I am talking about a professional HR position.

And yes, I have been to Hawai'i few times... have many friends that live there as well. I have also been saving and will have the equity from selling my house with me. Single... no kids... so it's just me, myself and I. I have friends that I can stay with once I get there... if needed... but really want to invest the equity money into buying a condo over there... don't want to waste it paying rent. I have realtor and mortgage people lined up already..

I know minimum wage jobs are very easy to get over there... but that's not what I need... I will prefer to stay in my field of HR. I also have a Wedding Planning business here but that will have to be on hold until I get myself established and know the lay of the land before I can start that again in Hawai'i.

Mahalo nui loa....and thanks for the great responses I know I will get.....
                          Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha Queenolu:
                            Already you have the right perspective and are taking the right approach. I don't think being black will stand in your way of getting a job in HR. However, I think HR could be different here in Hawaii simply because of our mixed pot of cultures. That said, you've been here a few times, have friends, etc. I think HR skills not only lie in the ability to identify who would work best in this or that position, but what works best within the culture of the company wise enough to hire you. Will you "get it" right away? Maybe not. Will your management be patient? Probably yes. You're in HR. You know that each hire, whether it's in the HR office or out in the field, is an investment. People don't get tossed out of jobs that easily here unless there are drug or alcohol or legal problems...and even then options at rehabilitation come up.

Don't sell yourself short when it comes to setting up your wedding planning business in Hawaii. That's a busy field here. You'd do well to align yourself with wedding service providers. I think it's more of a field for the Japanese market, but I bet you could market Hawaii to mainland people eager for a "state-side" wedding service, complete with the exotic sounds of slack-key guitar. Even the military.

I would like to say that there are ways that being black in Hawaii might be to your advantage. You might even look into employment or contract possibilities with the military, or with military contractors. Their personnel pool has a large percentage of black members. Being in Hawaii isn't easy for everyone stationed here. I loved it, and when I got out of the military I stayed. It's been 26 years now. (and I'm white) But there are those who can't wait to get off the rock. Having someone like you here might help other blacks in Hawaii. serving in either military or civilian positions, feel a sense of belonging.

Good luck!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
                              Aloha HT....my first post here..... I too like Alex have been coming here to read this forum for some time now. Sooo glad that Alex ask this question because I surely have been afraid to ask because I was not sure what type of response I will get....sorry to say but there are some strong personalities in here...

I am greatful for all the great info that those that has reponded to this question provided... enough to make me finally register and write here for the first time.... mahalo...

I too have traveled the world... also came from Africa originally..... and used to the many cultures and people around the world. I will be moving to Oahu hopefully by the end of this year, at the latest.... just need to sell my house first...

I wanted to take this further.... I am not in the military ... at least not anymore.... and therefore will need a job once I get there....wish I can get a job before moving... but it's hard to get a job in my field of HR without being there...HR is such a personal job that people want to meet you and all...not like IT that they will hire you over the phone... I have been applying to HR jobs and I do get several emails but they just will not really consider me until they can meet me.

My main concern is this....Will being black make it difficult to get a job over there...??? and I don't mean working at at a restaurant or the mall.... I have been in Human Resources for over 10 years therefore I am talking about a professional HR position.

And yes, I have been to Hawai'i few times... have many friends that live there as well. I have also been saving and will have the equity from selling my house with me. Single... no kids... so it's just me, myself and I. I have friends that I can stay with once I get there... if needed... but really want to invest the equity money into buying a condo over there... don't want to waste it paying rent. I have realtor and mortgage people lined up already..

I know minimum wage jobs are very easy to get over there... but that's not what I need... I will prefer to stay in my field of HR. I also have a Wedding Planning business here but that will have to be on hold until I get myself established and know the lay of the land before I can start that again in Hawai'i.

Mahalo nui loa....and thanks for the great responses I know I will get.....
                              Welcome to HT my "sistah"

Anyone black is my sistah so no offense...I'm only half black...

Your attitude will probably be the most influencial thing on you getting a job here in Hawaii.

I have many Popolo (black) friends that have moved here and have had no problems finding jobs... I also have had others that were not as lucky.

If you come across as a "strong black sistah" you may intimidate the local employer... I don't know you... however, I do know that on my dad's side of the family... when Local people first meet them...they think they are very loud and kind of obnoxious.... and the local tendency here in Hawaii is more of a "low key" nature... open your mouth too big... you may get a foot in it!

As a mullatto person living in Hawaii... I see both sides of things... I know how the "barber shop" mentality does prevail sometimes here... however I also know many black people have no problems at all here.

Welcome to HT and your attitude will be the most imporant thing that you have to worry about....

If you worry to much about it...then others will realize that your worried about it...

as they say here... "no worry...beef curry"

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
                                [...]Single... no kids... so it's just me, myself and I. [...]
                                Ummm...pets?

Seriously, Queenolu, my advice is to rent for awhile until you get a job and, hopefully, a bit more of a buyer's market. I understand you not wanting to throw your money away on rent but when it comes to a move like you're about to make and no job at this point, well, you really don't know yet what area in which to buy and what your income to mortgage payment ratio will be. There's also a tremendous sense of 'belonging' when you buy but, still, my unsolicited advice is to find that job first. Sounds like you have all of your ducks in a row so far, tho'. Good luck with everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X