Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being Black in Hawaii...

Default Re: Being Black in Hawaii...

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    Auntie, your post brought tears to my eyes (in a good, proud-to-live Hawaii, happy-to-be-part-of-your-online-ohana sort of way).

Thank you! I'm sure Alex -- and others who have and haven't yet posted -- feel welcomed by your aloha.
    Pretty Lady, you made me cry too.

Aloha is to be shared ALL the time.

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Thumbs up Re: Being Black in Hawaii...

Aloha HT....my first post here..... I too like Alex have been coming here to read this forum for some time now. Sooo glad that Alex ask this question because I surely have been afraid to ask because I was not sure what type of response I will get....sorry to say but there are some strong personalities in here...

I am greatful for all the great info that those that has reponded to this question provided... enough to make me finally register and write here for the first time.... mahalo...

I too have traveled the world... also came from Africa originally..... and used to the many cultures and people around the world. I will be moving to Oahu hopefully by the end of this year, at the latest.... just need to sell my house first...

I wanted to take this further.... I am not in the military ... at least not anymore.... and therefore will need a job once I get there....wish I can get a job before moving... but it's hard to get a job in my field of HR without being there...HR is such a personal job that people want to meet you and all...not like IT that they will hire you over the phone... I have been applying to HR jobs and I do get several emails but they just will not really consider me until they can meet me.

My main concern is this....Will being black make it difficult to get a job over there...??? and I don't mean working at at a restaurant or the mall.... I have been in Human Resources for over 10 years therefore I am talking about a professional HR position.

And yes, I have been to Hawai'i few times... have many friends that live there as well. I have also been saving and will have the equity from selling my house with me. Single... no kids... so it's just me, myself and I. I have friends that I can stay with once I get there... if needed... but really want to invest the equity money into buying a condo over there... don't want to waste it paying rent. I have realtor and mortgage people lined up already..

I know minimum wage jobs are very easy to get over there... but that's not what I need... I will prefer to stay in my field of HR. I also have a Wedding Planning business here but that will have to be on hold until I get myself established and know the lay of the land before I can start that again in Hawai'i.

Mahalo nui loa....and thanks for the great responses I know I will get.....

Aloha Queenolu:
    Already you have the right perspective and are taking the right approach. I don't think being black will stand in your way of getting a job in HR. However, I think HR could be different here in Hawaii simply because of our mixed pot of cultures. That said, you've been here a few times, have friends, etc. I think HR skills not only lie in the ability to identify who would work best in this or that position, but what works best within the culture of the company wise enough to hire you. Will you "get it" right away? Maybe not. Will your management be patient? Probably yes. You're in HR. You know that each hire, whether it's in the HR office or out in the field, is an investment. People don't get tossed out of jobs that easily here unless there are drug or alcohol or legal problems...and even then options at rehabilitation come up.

Don't sell yourself short when it comes to setting up your wedding planning business in Hawaii. That's a busy field here. You'd do well to align yourself with wedding service providers. I think it's more of a field for the Japanese market, but I bet you could market Hawaii to mainland people eager for a "state-side" wedding service, complete with the exotic sounds of slack-key guitar. Even the military.

I would like to say that there are ways that being black in Hawaii might be to your advantage. You might even look into employment or contract possibilities with the military, or with military contractors. Their personnel pool has a large percentage of black members. Being in Hawaii isn't easy for everyone stationed here. I loved it, and when I got out of the military I stayed. It's been 26 years now. (and I'm white) But there are those who can't wait to get off the rock. Having someone like you here might help other blacks in Hawaii. serving in either military or civilian positions, feel a sense of belonging.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Queenolu
    Aloha HT....my first post here..... I too like Alex have been coming here to read this forum for some time now. Sooo glad that Alex ask this question because I surely have been afraid to ask because I was not sure what type of response I will get....sorry to say but there are some strong personalities in here...

I am greatful for all the great info that those that has reponded to this question provided... enough to make me finally register and write here for the first time.... mahalo...

I too have traveled the world... also came from Africa originally..... and used to the many cultures and people around the world. I will be moving to Oahu hopefully by the end of this year, at the latest.... just need to sell my house first...

I wanted to take this further.... I am not in the military ... at least not anymore.... and therefore will need a job once I get there....wish I can get a job before moving... but it's hard to get a job in my field of HR without being there...HR is such a personal job that people want to meet you and all...not like IT that they will hire you over the phone... I have been applying to HR jobs and I do get several emails but they just will not really consider me until they can meet me.

My main concern is this....Will being black make it difficult to get a job over there...??? and I don't mean working at at a restaurant or the mall.... I have been in Human Resources for over 10 years therefore I am talking about a professional HR position.

And yes, I have been to Hawai'i few times... have many friends that live there as well. I have also been saving and will have the equity from selling my house with me. Single... no kids... so it's just me, myself and I. I have friends that I can stay with once I get there... if needed... but really want to invest the equity money into buying a condo over there... don't want to waste it paying rent. I have realtor and mortgage people lined up already..

I know minimum wage jobs are very easy to get over there... but that's not what I need... I will prefer to stay in my field of HR. I also have a Wedding Planning business here but that will have to be on hold until I get myself established and know the lay of the land before I can start that again in Hawai'i.

Mahalo nui loa....and thanks for the great responses I know I will get.....
    Welcome to HT my "sistah"

Anyone black is my sistah so no offense...I'm only half black...

Your attitude will probably be the most influencial thing on you getting a job here in Hawaii.

I have many Popolo (black) friends that have moved here and have had no problems finding jobs... I also have had others that were not as lucky.

If you come across as a "strong black sistah" you may intimidate the local employer... I don't know you... however, I do know that on my dad's side of the family... when Local people first meet them...they think they are very loud and kind of obnoxious.... and the local tendency here in Hawaii is more of a "low key" nature... open your mouth too big... you may get a foot in it!

As a mullatto person living in Hawaii... I see both sides of things... I know how the "barber shop" mentality does prevail sometimes here... however I also know many black people have no problems at all here.

Welcome to HT and your attitude will be the most imporant thing that you have to worry about....

If you worry to much about it...then others will realize that your worried about it...

as they say here... "no worry...beef curry"

[...]Single... no kids... so it's just me, myself and I. [...]
    Ummm...pets?

Seriously, Queenolu, my advice is to rent for awhile until you get a job and, hopefully, a bit more of a buyer's market. I understand you not wanting to throw your money away on rent but when it comes to a move like you're about to make and no job at this point, well, you really don't know yet what area in which to buy and what your income to mortgage payment ratio will be. There's also a tremendous sense of 'belonging' when you buy but, still, my unsolicited advice is to find that job first. Sounds like you have all of your ducks in a row so far, tho'. Good luck with everything.

Are you in any professional HR associations? I think there is one in Hawaii so you should probably join it. A lot of the HR people here all know each other so their must be a small community or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jkpescador
    Are you in any professional HR associations? I think there is one in Hawaii so you should probably join it. A lot of the HR people here all know each other so their must be a small community or something.

Thanks to everyone that has responded and I truly do appreciate all the information.

Lavagal.... thanks for the info.. as far as the wedding planning business... before I can start that back up... I have to know the lay of the land... but I do plan on getting that up and running as soon as possible... I do plan to market to a niche market of mainlanders that are seeking to get married in Hawai'i and assist them with their destination wedding. In the meantime, I will look for a wedding planning service provider over there to volunteer my time in the meantime... while I search for that HR position. I am very open minded...

manoasurfer123.... thanks my "sistah" for the warm welcome.... lol... I surely do have a love of the people and since I have lived all over and visited many places around the world.... I would think my attitude is in check and I know how to put that mainland attitude behind where it belongs... I lived in Guam for several years before by the way and I loved it there....

tutusue.... this is a real issue for me on buying or not to buy... the worst come to worst... I can always rent it out and stay with one of my friends.... just don't want to have all the money gone... and puff.. nothing to show for it....

jkpescador.... yes surely I am a member of the national HR association... and plan to join the local chapter once I arrive and take full advantage of the networking... also plan on joining the chamber of commerce... the COC is a great resource of info

Once again... mahalo nui loa... and I look forward to many more great discussion on this forum...

manoasurfer123.... thanks my "sistah" for the warm welcome
    I your braddah now... ! I know you nevah know I was a guy!

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    hahhhh funny....... thanks my braddah for letting me know that..... good to know I just came in here and I have already gained a "braddah".... Aloha

One thing that will probably be different for you is the annual MLK Day parade through Waikiki - led by a giant Hawaiian Flag! and it always looks like a rainbow with all the different participants. I love it!

queenolu...

You can be my tita... however... don't send me any email from nigeria!

Everyone in america has been long warned of the nigeria email scam...

any personal words you might have on this being that you say your from Nigeria?

On forums and in chatrooms, the same thing happens to me - people may mistake me for female, especially since I tend to adopt the more 'pretty' Hawaiian usernames, and since the subject of gender never really comes up. Hell, now that it's out there, I might as well add this too: I've always had a thing for black women - Kelly Rolland, Ashanti, Christina Milian, Tyra Banks, Gabrielle Union, Meagan Good ( especially Meagan Good), etc. I could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by 'i'iwipolena
    I've always had a thing for black women -
    you DO!?
    OOoohhhh
    I love it. Black women loving black women.
    yea.

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    queenolu...

You can be my tita... however... don't send me any email from nigeria!

Everyone in america has been long warned of the nigeria email scam...

any personal words you might have on this being that you say your from Nigeria?

Hummmm I surely think you got me wrong..... my post said... I am from Nigeria originally...... I am an AMERICAN.... live in Maryland..... a Veteran of the U.S. Navy...... shall I go on on on....... so my dear "braddah"...... no need to fear me....

Any personal words....hummmmm.... if anyone is fool enough to fall into any those stupid scams.... then they themself is a scam artist.... someone offers to send you money that does not "belong to them" and they give you a percentage of it........ and people fall for this ........ come on now.... it takes a thief to fall for this stupidity....... enough said.... the warnings have been out for yearsssssss ... so if anyone like I said follow up and think they are getting a pot of gold... let the fool go ahead.... like I said... they themself.. is a scam artist...

So my dear "braddah".... scams are all over..... its done best right here in the U.S. .... shall I say... Enron... and many others... even all the I.D. theft .... all here in the U.S. and they do a lot more damage to "our" people than any "nigerian email scam" may do..... ohhhh don't let me blow your bubble... but the latest news... those so called scam emails are now coming from Americans ...making it seem as if it's sent from Africa....

So my dear.... do as I do.... reply back to those stupid emails ... and curse them out reallllllll good..... then block the email address and report as spam.... and move on... end of story....
    Last edited by Queenolu; July 27th, 2006 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'i'iwipolena
    On forums and in chatrooms, the same thing happens to me - people may mistake me for female, especially since I tend to adopt the more 'pretty' Hawaiian usernames, and since the subject of gender never really comes up. Hell, now that it's out there, I might as well add this too: I've always had a thing for black women - Kelly Rolland, Ashanti, Christina Milian, Tyra Banks, Gabrielle Union, Meagan Good ( especially Meagan Good), etc. I could go on and on.

hummmm we know "you all" have a thing for black women.... most just will not come out and admit it...

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    you DO!?
    OOoohhhh
    I love it. Black women loving black women.
    yea.

No Kimo...he is not a woman....

No Kimo...he is not a woman....
    hehehehehe.

Aloha Queenolu! I'm Auntie Lynn. Welcome to HT.

Hummmm I surely think you got me wrong.....[...]
    Don't worry about that Queenolu. The rest of us 'get' you. I was waiting for a retort to Manoa's silly post.

hummmm we know "you all" have a thing for black women.... most just will not come out and admit it...
    I admit that I have that same "thing" for beautiful women - and my definition of beautiful is not restricted to any particular size, shape, age group or skin color.

But my innamorata, a/k/a the lovely and talented "Alpha Female from Kane`ohe" (referred to in some of my posts) is the only one to receive the full attention of said "thing."

(Is that T.M.I.?)

videos of "thing". videos of "thing"!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    I admit that I have that same "thing" for beautiful women - and my definition of beautiful is not restricted to any particular size, shape, age group or skin color.

But my innamorata, a/k/a the lovely and talented "Alpha Female from Kane`ohe" (referred to in some of my posts) is the only one to receive the full attention of said "thing."

(Is that T.M.I.?)
    hehehehehehe.

You continue to make me laugh and smile.

You have been a big part of my speedy recovery these past few days.

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn

Off topic a bit...

You know Leo, after reading you write it a few times now I think "Alpha Female from Kane`ohe" would make a lovely title to a song!

On topic...

Aloha Queenolu! Welcome to da threads.

Quote Originally Posted by LeiKaina
    Off topic a bit...
    You know Leo, after reading you write it a few times now I think "Alpha Female from Kane`ohe" would make a lovely title to a song!
    Still off topic...
    She is a song - one that plays daily in my heart. (Awwwwww........)

Leo i will now worry about you.
    giving us stuffed toy imagery and then providing the sound effect the young girls would make?
    next you will use the word
    snuggling.
    i was gonna buy you a beer. Now should that be a wine cooler spritzer?
    Last edited by kimo55; July 27th, 2006 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    Still off topic...
    She is a song - one that plays daily in my heart. (Awwwwww........)
    continuing.

Awwwwwwwwww........

Auntie Lynn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast