Go eat kim chee today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go eat kim chee today!

For those of you lucky enough to live in Honolulu, take an excursion down to Kapiolani Park and partake in the 5th annual Korean Festival (9 a.m.-9 p.m. today).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Go eat kim chee today!

Any good doenjang over there?

Comment

I love Kimchee with Rice and Short Ribs :-)

Comment

I been working at the Kim Chee restaurant out on da Windward side off and on for about 15 years now - Good Korean food at least what the owners make in the back! The stuff we serve in the front is more a Korean/Local/Japanese - style mix, but still pretty good

Needless to say, after 15 years of pretty much daily grindz at da restaurant, getting kinda tired

But the saying "If get Kim chee and rice, get dinner" is very true!
        It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

So I know I am going to spell this wrong but when I was in Honolulu I ate some awesome.....(spelling as it sounds) BOO Go GEE....does anyone know the ingredients for that?
          Since I can't spell it I can't find it online.

My ex was 100% Korean and always ordered it for me!

Even if you could spell it for me I would be thankful!!!

Seeing this thread reminded me how much I miss it!
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
            So I know I am going to spell this wrong but when I was in Honolulu I ate some awesome.....(spelling as it sounds) BOO Go GEE....does anyone know the ingredients for that?
            Since I can't spell it I can't find it online.

My ex was 100% Korean and always ordered it for me!

Even if you could spell it for me I would be thankful!!!

Seeing this thread reminded me how much I miss it!
            Bul Go Gi , you was close.... prolly see Bul Go Gee or Bul Ko Gee online as well...
            The Korean place I work is not exactly authentic to da max, but we use thin-sliced ribeye soaked in bbq sauce overnight, then broiled over an extremely hot fire.

Bes way to eat it is grab a piece of lettuce, smear some spicy ko chu jang paste, add some Bul Go Gi and a little hot rice, roll up and eat!
            brok' da mout!
            Last edited by Kahalu'u_Chrome; August 16, 2006, 06:58 PM.
            It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle

Google has tons of bulgogi recipes.

Comment

Thank ya thank ya thank ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited to cook it!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I go this one Korean restraunt where I work and just found out the lady who works there (possibly owns it) was from Kaimuki. I was gonna ask her if she owned any places back home, but didn't. Next time, next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u_Chrome
                    The Korean place I work is not exactly authentic to da max, but we use thin-sliced ribeye soaked in bbq sauce overnight, then broiled over an extremely hot fire.
                    Okay, which Korean place is it -- and when I show up with my kids, can you hook us up with that back-of-the-house food?

PM or e-mail me!

and note ... I'll be a paying customer, just like everybody else -- not one of those freeloading media people ('cause I not allowed to accep' freebies, k?)
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I like the Korean BBQ where you have a grill on the table and cook the stuff yourself...We ALWAYS order Bulgogi....SO good !
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

As it happens there's a review of So Gong Dong in today's Bulletin

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/20/features/eater.html
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                          Okay, which Korean place is it --
                          Kim Chee I out on the windward side... Its a real small place, Korean BBQ, but more local-style than authentic.

I almost hesitated to post what restaurant cause we are sooooo dam busy, even my boss dont advertise

Lina Girl and Bruddah Sam (especially him, lol) are pretty much regulars there, if thats any indication ....they have offered a few times to do a show, but my boss refused - heh , we busy enough already for the amount of people we get working...mo momey no dam good if we all drop dead from exhaustion

and when I show up with my kids, can you hook us up with that back-of-the-house food?
                          LOL, my boss would have a fit!

and note ... I'll be a paying customer, just like everybody else -- not one of those freeloading media people ('cause I not allowed to accep' freebies, k?)
                          If you can get a freebie outta my Korean boss, I'll buy you dinner!

Comment

If you missed the festival, not to fret. There's one going on every day of the year along Ke'eaumoku st. and Kapiolani blvd. lol

We used to frequent Kim Chee I alot. Back then (80's), it was strictly a Korean menu. The Kal Bi was absolutely the best. Thick cuts with a great sauce and grilled with nice papa'a edges.

We also used to go to Chun's Korean BBQ on the corner of Kahuhipa and Alaloa st., adjacent to Nanko's fishing supply. Also excellent. They're still there! The owners lived right up the street from us.

I remember Erika asking for a good place for Meat Jun in Kaneohe, and those two places were suggested.

I've always wanted to check out the new Palama Market location on Kaheka, near Don Quijote (Daiei).

I love Kim Chee, Taegu and all the other pickled vegetables offered at Korean restaurants; especially those marinaded potatoes! Don't care much for Kim Chee flavored ramen though. Or Kim Chee fried rice. It's just weird to me.

Kahalu'u Chrome, what's da' secret to making the Kalbi tender? Do they marinade it for a really long time? Or do they add some kind of meat tenderizer to it? Oh, secret. You no can say eh? lol

Costco sells an awesome Kalbi sauce, and I marinade the ribs overnight, but it always comes out tough like bubble gum. You gotta' watch 'em carefully on the grill too, since the sugar in the sauce caramelizes and burns easily.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                              As it happens there's a review of So Gong Dong in today's Bulletin
                              It's panchan! So that's what those little plates are called! Man... I've wondered what the correct term was for ages, even asking about it here at HT months ago. Love that stuff. Sometimes they're what saves an otherwise mediocre Korean meal!

Comment

Working...
                              X