Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Go eat kim chee today!

Originally posted by Pomai
    If you missed the festival, not to fret. There's one going on every day of the year along Ke'eaumoku st. and Kapiolani blvd. lol

We used to frequent Kim Chee I alot. Back then (80's), it was strictly a Korean menu. The Kal Bi was absolutely the best. Thick cuts with a great sauce and grilled with nice papa'a edges.

We also used to go to Chun's Korean BBQ on the corner of Kahuhipa and Alaloa st., adjacent to Nanko's fishing supply. Also excellent. They're still there! The owners lived right up the street from us.

I remember Erika asking for a good place for Meat Jun in Kaneohe, and those two places were suggested.

I've always wanted to check out the new Palama Market location on Kaheka, near Don Quijote (Daiei).

I love Kim Chee, Taegu and all the other pickled vegetables offered at Korean restaurants; especially those marinaded potatoes! Don't care much for Kim Chee flavored ramen though. Or Kim Chee fried rice. It's just weird to me.

Kahalu'u Chrome, what's da' secret to making the Kalbi tender? Do they marinade it for a really long time? Or do they add some kind of meat tenderizer to it? Oh, secret. You no can say eh? lol

Costco sells an awesome Kalbi sauce, and I marinade the ribs overnight, but it always comes out tough like bubble gum. You gotta' watch 'em carefully on the grill too, since the sugar in the sauce caramelizes and burns easily.
    The Kalbi is still the same
    But , it really depends on the meat wholesaler - sometimes the meat is just crap, and sometimes in just....ahhhhhh...melts in your mouth. You really have no way of knowing until you start cutting those 2"slabs of shortribs into those long strips - soon as you see the grain and fat content, you know if we are gonna have raves or complaints

We dont do anything special, just trim,cut and soak.... any before anyone asks, in 15 years I have been able to get exactly half of that dam marinade recipe

All tyhe Kim Chees are family owned, but independatly operated - we tend to have the largest portions ( and I mean huge!) and the most business....

Chuns is indeed still there, and is actually owned and operated by my bosses uncle

And I would also reccomend our Meat Jun to anyone - brok da mouf!

Alohas,
    Robert
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

Re: Go eat kim chee today!

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...s-kimchi-king/

I like the High Max one.

Comment

Working...
      X