Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Go eat kim chee today!

  1. #1

    Default Go eat kim chee today!

    For those of you lucky enough to live in Honolulu, take an excursion down to Kapiolani Park and partake in the 5th annual Korean Festival (9 a.m.-9 p.m. today).

    Miulang

  2. #2

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Any good doenjang over there?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    I love Kimchee with Rice and Short Ribs :-)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ku'u home o Kahalu'u
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    I been working at the Kim Chee restaurant out on da Windward side off and on for about 15 years now - Good Korean food at least what the owners make in the back! The stuff we serve in the front is more a Korean/Local/Japanese - style mix, but still pretty good

    Needless to say, after 15 years of pretty much daily grindz at da restaurant, getting kinda tired

    But the saying "If get Kim chee and rice, get dinner" is very true!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach and North Carolina area
    Posts
    1,688

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    So I know I am going to spell this wrong but when I was in Honolulu I ate some awesome.....(spelling as it sounds) BOO Go GEE....does anyone know the ingredients for that?
    Since I can't spell it I can't find it online.

    My ex was 100% Korean and always ordered it for me!

    Even if you could spell it for me I would be thankful!!!

    Seeing this thread reminded me how much I miss it!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ku'u home o Kahalu'u
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Quote Originally Posted by blueyecicle
    So I know I am going to spell this wrong but when I was in Honolulu I ate some awesome.....(spelling as it sounds) BOO Go GEE....does anyone know the ingredients for that?
    Since I can't spell it I can't find it online.

    My ex was 100% Korean and always ordered it for me!

    Even if you could spell it for me I would be thankful!!!

    Seeing this thread reminded me how much I miss it!
    Bul Go Gi , you was close.... prolly see Bul Go Gee or Bul Ko Gee online as well...
    The Korean place I work is not exactly authentic to da max, but we use thin-sliced ribeye soaked in bbq sauce overnight, then broiled over an extremely hot fire.

    Bes way to eat it is grab a piece of lettuce, smear some spicy ko chu jang paste, add some Bul Go Gi and a little hot rice, roll up and eat!
    brok' da mout!
    Last edited by Kahalu'u_Chrome; August 16th, 2006 at 06:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,117

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Quote Originally Posted by blueyecicle

    So I know I am going to spell this wrong but when I was in Honolulu I ate some awesome.....(spelling as it sounds) BOO Go GEE....does anyone know the ingredients for that?
    Google has tons of bulgogi recipes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach and North Carolina area
    Posts
    1,688

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Thank ya thank ya thank ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am so excited to cook it!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the Arizona Desert
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    I go this one Korean restraunt where I work and just found out the lady who works there (possibly owns it) was from Kaimuki. I was gonna ask her if she owned any places back home, but didn't. Next time, next time.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kahalu'u_Chrome
    The Korean place I work is not exactly authentic to da max, but we use thin-sliced ribeye soaked in bbq sauce overnight, then broiled over an extremely hot fire.
    Okay, which Korean place is it -- and when I show up with my kids, can you hook us up with that back-of-the-house food?

    PM or e-mail me!

    and note ... I'll be a paying customer, just like everybody else -- not one of those freeloading media people ('cause I not allowed to accep' freebies, k?)
    **************************************
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    I like the Korean BBQ where you have a grill on the table and cook the stuff yourself...We ALWAYS order Bulgogi....SO good !

  12. #12

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    As it happens there's a review of So Gong Dong in today's Bulletin

    http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/20/features/eater.html
    **************************************
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ku'u home o Kahalu'u
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    Okay, which Korean place is it --
    Kim Chee I out on the windward side... Its a real small place, Korean BBQ, but more local-style than authentic.

    I almost hesitated to post what restaurant cause we are sooooo dam busy, even my boss dont advertise

    Lina Girl and Bruddah Sam (especially him, lol) are pretty much regulars there, if thats any indication ....they have offered a few times to do a show, but my boss refused - heh , we busy enough already for the amount of people we get working...mo momey no dam good if we all drop dead from exhaustion

    and when I show up with my kids, can you hook us up with that back-of-the-house food?
    LOL, my boss would have a fit!

    and note ... I'll be a paying customer, just like everybody else -- not one of those freeloading media people ('cause I not allowed to accep' freebies, k?)
    If you can get a freebie outta my Korean boss, I'll buy you dinner!
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    If you missed the festival, not to fret. There's one going on every day of the year along Ke'eaumoku st. and Kapiolani blvd. lol

    We used to frequent Kim Chee I alot. Back then (80's), it was strictly a Korean menu. The Kal Bi was absolutely the best. Thick cuts with a great sauce and grilled with nice papa'a edges.

    We also used to go to Chun's Korean BBQ on the corner of Kahuhipa and Alaloa st., adjacent to Nanko's fishing supply. Also excellent. They're still there! The owners lived right up the street from us.

    I remember Erika asking for a good place for Meat Jun in Kaneohe, and those two places were suggested.

    I've always wanted to check out the new Palama Market location on Kaheka, near Don Quijote (Daiei).

    I love Kim Chee, Taegu and all the other pickled vegetables offered at Korean restaurants; especially those marinaded potatoes! Don't care much for Kim Chee flavored ramen though. Or Kim Chee fried rice. It's just weird to me.

    Kahalu'u Chrome, what's da' secret to making the Kalbi tender? Do they marinade it for a really long time? Or do they add some kind of meat tenderizer to it? Oh, secret. You no can say eh? lol

    Costco sells an awesome Kalbi sauce, and I marinade the ribs overnight, but it always comes out tough like bubble gum. You gotta' watch 'em carefully on the grill too, since the sugar in the sauce caramelizes and burns easily.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,327

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    As it happens there's a review of So Gong Dong in today's Bulletin
    It's panchan! So that's what those little plates are called! Man... I've wondered what the correct term was for ages, even asking about it here at HT months ago. Love that stuff. Sometimes they're what saves an otherwise mediocre Korean meal!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ku'u home o Kahalu'u
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    If you missed the festival, not to fret. There's one going on every day of the year along Ke'eaumoku st. and Kapiolani blvd. lol

    We used to frequent Kim Chee I alot. Back then (80's), it was strictly a Korean menu. The Kal Bi was absolutely the best. Thick cuts with a great sauce and grilled with nice papa'a edges.

    We also used to go to Chun's Korean BBQ on the corner of Kahuhipa and Alaloa st., adjacent to Nanko's fishing supply. Also excellent. They're still there! The owners lived right up the street from us.

    I remember Erika asking for a good place for Meat Jun in Kaneohe, and those two places were suggested.

    I've always wanted to check out the new Palama Market location on Kaheka, near Don Quijote (Daiei).

    I love Kim Chee, Taegu and all the other pickled vegetables offered at Korean restaurants; especially those marinaded potatoes! Don't care much for Kim Chee flavored ramen though. Or Kim Chee fried rice. It's just weird to me.

    Kahalu'u Chrome, what's da' secret to making the Kalbi tender? Do they marinade it for a really long time? Or do they add some kind of meat tenderizer to it? Oh, secret. You no can say eh? lol

    Costco sells an awesome Kalbi sauce, and I marinade the ribs overnight, but it always comes out tough like bubble gum. You gotta' watch 'em carefully on the grill too, since the sugar in the sauce caramelizes and burns easily.
    The Kalbi is still the same
    But , it really depends on the meat wholesaler - sometimes the meat is just crap, and sometimes in just....ahhhhhh...melts in your mouth. You really have no way of knowing until you start cutting those 2"slabs of shortribs into those long strips - soon as you see the grain and fat content, you know if we are gonna have raves or complaints

    We dont do anything special, just trim,cut and soak.... any before anyone asks, in 15 years I have been able to get exactly half of that dam marinade recipe

    All tyhe Kim Chees are family owned, but independatly operated - we tend to have the largest portions ( and I mean huge!) and the most business....

    Chuns is indeed still there, and is actually owned and operated by my bosses uncle

    And I would also reccomend our Meat Jun to anyone - brok da mouf!

    Alohas,
    Robert
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

  17. #17

    Default Re: Go eat kim chee today!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •