Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cultural thing...

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Try identifying the latter simply as "America" and you'll be inundated with comments pointing out that Hawai`i is a part of America, too.
    but not by many here.
    There is a general consensus, still yet, that the Hawaiian islands are separate from america. geographically of course, but in many other ways too. Many are chagrined to have seen their home taken by haole and their Queen imprisoned in her own palace. Then in 59, Hawaii was made a state. some are still not too happy about that. So, yea, you can understand the slightly less than patriotic fervor many displayed here just after 9/11, when that female journalist was stuck here and she bitched about how there wasn't anywhere enuff of the flag waving, car flags and stickers she thought she outta see as was in evidence in the states. and they are "the states" Plural. collection of. more than one, in one setting.
    Last edited by kimo55; July 24, 2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

If we have to address this semantic issue at that political a level, however, we are guaranteed to never find terminology that will satisfy enough people - leaving us back at the beginning (using "Mainland," as the most commonly-accepted descriptive.)

(And "48" leaves out Alaska, of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
        Are you of the ringtail clan or a red-belly tribe?
        I was going to pop in and make reference to those without stars upon thars, but I don't want to pi$$ off the Sneetches that may be lurking here.

So I won't.
        Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 24, 2006, 09:36 AM. Reason: t42+24t

Comment

I was going to pop in and make reference to those without stars upon thars, but I don't want to pi$$ off the Sneeches that may be lurking here.

So I won't.

The Lorax, Horton and the Sneetches were my babysitters. Everything I needed to learn about politics, racism, human rights and protecting the environment I got from Dr. Suess.

pax

Comment

If we have to address this semantic issue at that political a level, however, we are guaranteed to never find terminology that will satisfy enough people - leaving us back at the beginning (using "Mainland," as the most commonly-accepted descriptive.)

(And "48" leaves out Alaska, of course.)
            But it isn't just a political level, Leo. We might be U.S. citizens, but America is a continent thousands of miles away, and as different culturally, ethnically and uh, issues-ially (beat me 'o Editrix) as we are similar.

CONUS has always worked for me (pronounce it once, define it once, and it sticks--continental U.S.). Thank you, General Somebody for creating the term.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              But it isn't just a political level, Leo. We might be U.S. citizens, but America is a continent thousands of miles away, and as different culturally, ethnically and uh, issues-ially (beat me 'o Editrix) as we are similar.

CONUS has always worked for me (pronounce it once, define it once, and it sticks--continental U.S.). Thank you, General Somebody for creating the term.
              Again, Pua`i Mana`o, mahalo nui loa. Sometimes, you are good at pointing out (to me) something I already know, but you put it in terms that help make it clearer.

And I have now suggested that we try CONUS in the newspaper; perhaps we can add an editor's note explaining why we are using the term. If folks would like to read comments from our paper's editor, Rochelle delaCruz (originally from Hilo, and who does commentaries for Hawai`i Public Radio as well), click on:http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/edshome.htm
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 24, 2006, 10:35 AM. Reason: no longer maybe; now DID

Comment

"Moku Honu" (Turtle Island) works for me.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                  "Moku Honu" (Turtle Island) works for me.
                  That also works for the Wampanoag Indians (the Native Americans who greeted the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock) in Massachusetts, too!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, I like CONUS. I realize "the 48" excludes Alaska, but most of the time people in Hawai'i aren't refering to Alaska or people in Alaska when they say "mainland". At least it seems to me they're talking about Cali, Oregon, Texas, New Jersey, New York, etc. Alaska usually doesn't strike me as part of "the mainland" when refered to in such a way. I really like CONUS although I had no qualms with "mainland".
                    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                    "But I can't even read good."
                    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

And I have now suggested that we try CONUS in the newspaper; perhaps we can add an editor's note explaining why we are using the term.
                      My editor responds, regarding CONUS ---
                      It's a military term - when (husband) was in the Air Force, it's what I heard all the time when they referred to the "mainland." And with dis Iraq war, I want to avoid any military connection.
                      Actually, I like using "the continent" and have been doing so on my public radio commentaries, although technically, it includes Canada and Mexico. No one from Mexico or Canada has yet to complain. And when I purposefully say "da mainlin," it's fraught with all kine stuff.

Comment

why can't we appropriate military terms if they are simple enough to use? Aside from their origin, their definition is to the point and baggage-free.

pax

Comment

I say, let's just end the war in Iraq - then I can use a term with military etymology freely! Everybody happy! Yay!

Comment

why can't we appropriate military terms if they are simple enough to use? Aside from their origin, their definition is to the point and baggage-free.
                            Unfortunately, the baggage that comes along with the origin of the term "CONUS" overrides its simplicity of use. However, I kind of like it, because it inadvertently bespeaks of many U.S. policies vis-a-vis indigenous peoples, when it is pronounced as "con us." In a similar vein, it can be pronounced as "con-U.S.", as opposed to "pro-U.S." Occasionally, even English terms can have kaona.
                            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                              Unfortunately, the baggage that comes along with the origin of the term "CONUS" overrides its simplicity of use. However, I kind of like it, because it inadvertently bespeaks of many U.S. policies vis-a-vis indigenous peoples, when it is pronounced as "con us." In a similar vein, it can be pronounced as "con-U.S.", as opposed to "pro-U.S." Occasionally, even English terms can have kaona.

perzactly my point! I like CONUS, and pronounce how you like.

pax

Comment

perzactly my point! I like CONUS, and pronounce how you like.
                                Too Funny. I'm with fever and delirious...

I'm pronouncing it slowly out. C O N - U S
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X