cultural thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cultural thing...

Prof. K, the aboved post has a few grammatic errors but I'm too lazy to go change 'em. Please don't let it affect my grade too severely.
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Craig, we cannot qualify the reason one ethinicity is an easier mantle to wear or not, and I cannot tell you why you should/shouldn't feel Japanese. That is *your* ancestral piko. Likewise, you cannot tell which maoli is maoli enough--we all know that no peoples on the planet is exempt from breeding genuises, sweethearts, humble folk and @ssholes. Hawaiians are no better; we have thrown our own off the pali (but of course, only for a good cause )

As far as the monarchy is concerned: that isn't our only sovereign option, nor the one most likely. If we were free, we most likely will be a commonwealth, and if we take a good look at the better govt functions of Hawaii's sovereign past, then naturalizing citizens, providing public education, public health care and an elected legislature (the Ahaolelo) have set enough of a precedent that becoming an island democracy is our most reasonable future.

So, my friend, don't worry about that.

aloha, Pua'i

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
        See, I'm going to play a 'lil "devil's advocate" here. Ok. ... What are YOU?!
        what are you? What do you identify with? What is your heritage? Would you be at peace if someone else told you what you can/cannot identify as? Your ability to mahalo that which made you, and your choices on how you communicate that gives me my signals on how to recieve you.

So what are you?

pax

Comment

properly pillage a Catholic church
          I get the urge to pistol-whip people of mixed enthnicity
          Ok moron
          your ass
          ludacris
          you fool
          imbeciles
          bastages

Jay Zeus kee rice. accidentally stumbled into newjerseythreads.com

where IS my HT!?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            properly pillage a Catholic church
            I get the urge to pistol-whip people of mixed enthnicity
            Ok moron
            your ass
            ludacris
            you fool
            imbeciles
            bastages

Jay Zeus kee rice. accidentally stumbled into newjerseythreads.com

where IS my HT!?

LOL, thx Kimo, I was sorely in need of a laugh. Having a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              what are you? What do you identify with? What is your heritage? Would you be at peace if someone else told you what you can/cannot identify as? Your ability to mahalo that which made you, and your choices on how you communicate that gives me my signals on how to recieve you.

So what are you?

Tricky question, I'm an American having been born in America and spent my whole life here. My heritage is Irish/German/Swedish. Yes I am at peace not being able to identify with those cultures. I am secure enough to get along with the people of the world as my fellow great apes, don't need anything other than what I make of myself to distinguish me from the masses. I do no proport to be any of those three ethnicities though (maybe its a European thing, but you can't/won't ever be recieved by European cultures as European unless you were born in Europe). I'm fine with the fact the I don't have any 'cultural practices', at least old practices. I'm part of America and that is my culture. Now I know you can say Hawai'i was a kingdom before Americans dethroned the monarchy etc. This is true, my retort to that however is that that is only a logical argument if proposed by a full/or almost full blood Hawaiian (more than 50%). Otherwise your just another American. I know America doesn't have a cuture in the sense of indigenous peoples worldwide, but the times, they are a changin' and now it's not about where your ancestors are from, its who you establish yourself to be by making a name for yourself and achieving things that in one way or another benefit humanity. Also it pisses me off when people 'claim' to be Hawaiian and talk about 'their people suffering' just because it's an exotic name/culture and they wish to awe or impress mainlanders. Ok I'm ranting now and this killer heat has distracted me so I'm going to wrap it up (100 muthatruckin' degrees!) I bet you those people who proport to be Hawaiian but are in fact less than 50% know more about the Hawaiian culture history than they do about the majority of their ancestors cultures. That also anoys me because some people think that being a kanaka instead of a local somehow elevates you ytop a godly status or something.

Comment

My heritage is Irish/German/Swedish. Yes I am at peace not being able to identify with those cultures.
                Which is fine; I'm not really in touch with any of the ancestry I've been told I have, which includes English, Irish, Scots, French, German & Blackfeet.

My comment to Craig was mostly about how often he makes it quite clear that, although his ancestry is 100% Japanese, he does not closely associate with that culture (which is also perfectly all right) --- yet he chides some Hawaiians for not being in touch with their own. (And, to be fair, he's aiming that at those who also use that same culture - the one they aren't in touch with - to demand special benefits.)

I just noticed how often he posts about feeling the need to emphasise that he "doesn't think of himself as Japanese." Methinks, he doth protest too much...?

Comment

I was adopted, so... I'm quite happy simply knowing that I'm a human being from the planet Earth. And everyone I know happens to be the same, no matter their color or ethnicity or religion or sexual orientation or whatever. I couldn't care less. Life is too short and too fragile to get all hot and bothered over what you are or where you came from. There are far more important things to spend that time upon. Simplistic? Yes. Happily so.

(Oh, and when I said that "I'm quite happy simply knowing that I'm a human being from the planet Earth. And everyone I know happens to be the same"? My ex-wife is excluded from that.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Chum, there is a disconnect in your posts. On one hand, you are quite clear that you understand your ethnicity (those Euro bloods you mention). your heritage (American) and 'being secure enough to get along with your fellow apes in the world'....but you aren't. Your reactions against Hawaiians is pouring out as ascerbic and visceral. What Hawaiian has ever tried to impress a mainlander with their people-suffering woes? Who on earth are you talking about? How did you draw up so much ire? Because I *live* here and have never seen that of which you speak.

I cannot even give you sweeping generalizations of ethnic Hawaiians who seriously consider the sovereignty question. There are those who sit under tents at the beach and talk about the issue as there are those of us who pay taxes, wear belts and polos, run businesses and attempt to approach it analytically. There are those who are baby boomers, old kupuna, college students, and youngsters raised in the home that considers the question. There are those who are part Hawaiian, who have fair skin or slanty eyes, but have seen their grandparents suffer from working Down Under and being exposed to chemicals or asbestos, or watched DHHL trade lucrative lands to put industrial areas, sewer systems and rubbish dumps on their property, of which exposure can get near those Hawaiians living in close proximity. And those kids with the red hair or Asian last name are their families...blood quantum concerns such as you suggest are silly, inappropriate, and have nothing to do with the tea in China. Nor should it be used to disconnect a generation from its kupuna.

But if I am to let go my Hawaiianness, or allow my descendants' Hawaiianness to lapse according to what you say, then I will do so on my terms. I might be born an American citizen, and have additional ancestors from elsewhere in the world, but I will never be fooled by psuedo-numerate issues like quantum. I was a Hawaiian in my mother's womb. Born here. Born by people who moved here, gave to here, and died here. Hawaii needs us. Hawaii needs her citizens that know her history, speak her languages, and can help guide her future. Working hard, paying taxes, and never considering loyalty to a government (US govt, Hawaiian govt; nothing is exempt of human error and crookery) a worthy substitute to loyalty to the aina.

And Hawaii needs her locals. Those who love here, give back, learn to adapt (if they aren't born here) and have loyalty to the aina. These are her sons and daughters. Eventually, they will become part of other Hawaiians' ancestry. If you love Her enough, your piko will tie in.

aloha P
                    Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; July 22, 2006, 05:54 PM.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      I'm quite happy simply knowing that I'm a human being from the planet Earth. And everyone I know happens to be the same
                      Ah. We've obviously never met, or you would know of my "visitor" status...and just you wait until Lemurian Lynn gets back in here!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        Ah. We've obviously never met, or you would know of my "visitor" status...and just you wait until Lemurian Lynn gets back in here!
                        Did somebody call me? Hellloooo? I haven't been asked for in a Loooooong time.

Lynnie of the Lemurians at your service!
                        (Clarification: I am a descendant of The Lemurians)
                        Ainokea if you no believe me. I pUpule!!!!
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; July 22, 2006, 07:10 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Pua'i, I'm truly sorry if my post came off as angry. Yesterday I was in a bad mood 'cause I don't have a dorm fan and the mercury topped off at 100 degrees. Crap it was hot...
                          Also you missunderstood what I was saying at one point. I wasn't saying Hawaiian's try to impress people with 'my brethren are suffering...', I was saying people who try to impress mainlanders with the 'I'm Hawaiian' jazz are annoying. They don't mention it matter-of-factly, instead it's used to elicit awe from the astounded mainlander. Saying your Hawaiian or from Hawai'i is great, show some pride, but a lot of people lie/bend the truth and claim ethnic ties just to make themselves seem exotic.
                          The third point I want to address is what you dismissed as irrelevant, blood quantum. Ok. I believe you've stated before (if this is not the case just go with it as an example), that your partially caucasian, partly asian, and partly polynesian. Now lets say the Polynesia part of you was very insignificant in comparison to the rest of your family's pedigree. Ok, so the Asian/Caucasian parts compose most of your ancestory. As I stated before genetic definitions for outward appearce are negligible, even moreso with the less DNA you have from a specific ancestor. Hence, you are primarily Asian/Caucasian and should support and invest in those cultures too as they are also your "homeland cultures" (wherever in Eurasia your ancestors came from). One can't simply choose to support only a part of their ethnic background simply because they like it more, especially if it constitutes less of their bloodline (I HAVE seen people do this here on the mainland. Those folks who are 1/100th Hawaiian but still flash it like they're the one and only kanaka...) I was also trying to get at the fact that Hawaiians 'fighting for their people' who are hapa, yet discriminate against the very cultures they are linked to as oppressing their Hawaiian people, are confused, and practicing self hate. It's nuts. For example, take a guy/girl who is half English, half Hawaiian. Lets say the are for the Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement. Ok thats fine. Now lets say they speak about "haoles" who have stolen their peoples lands, how they want them out, or how they are ruining Hawai'i. Pssshhhtttt. Such a person, i.e. Trask, is clearly confused. How can they rasg on teh haoles, when they themselves are haole? Hmm hmm?! Even if they're just stating facts they still have to realize that they are part of the "Haole culture" that came to Hawai'i (also the Brits messed it up for all the white folks... dang.) That's all I'm getting at. You can't pick and choose. You are what you are so honor yourself if you so choose, but please don't play the race/ethnicity card on someone whose race your part of. Once again Pua'i not naming anyone on this board but I have witnessed this kinda BS.
                          Guess my other post could have been a little more lucid.

Aunty Lynn,
                          What type of Lemurian Society do you hail from? Are you of the ringtail clan or a red-belly tribe?

Comment

You guys are going to have to stop calling the Continental States "the Mainland". For those of us who have their roots firmly embedded in the soil of these Islands, the States are not our "mainland", Hawai'i is our mainland. Please cease your inconsiderate references, it's irritating.

Comment

Aunty Lynn,
                              What type of Lemurian Society do you hail from? Are you of the ringtail clan or a red-belly tribe?
                              Erm, Tita is not descended from marsupials, she is a descendant of a former society called Lemuria.

"...There are certain land masses on the planet that are the last remains of the great Lemurian Empire, such as the Fiji Islands, Hawaii, Easter Island, and some of the Los Angeles area. This would explain why many spiritual people are drawn there and why there has been such an influx of higher consciousness ideas that have come in from that part of the west coast. It is because the vibration of that ancient land which was more femininely based and creatively based is once again moving in the consciousness of our planet.

When Lemuria was destroyed its people became the Tibetans, the Eskimos, the Mayans and the Native Americans. They became the Sacred Record Keepers through oral tradition. ..."

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

LOL, thx for clearing that up Muilang. Hehe. I still think I'd be cooler to be part of a Lemur family hehe...

Comment

Working...
                                X