Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biofuels & Energy Independence

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    But in the second week of December '07 ...
    source

And wouldn't you know ...
    source

And here's a story about a NZ company using algae from sewage ponds to produce biodiesel. Clean water is a byproduct of the process.

Those BlueEarth people must have put together a mean Powerpoint.
    The estimated yield of an algae farm is 6,000 to 10,000 gallons of biodiesel an acre a year, more than the 600 gallons an acre produced from palm or jatropha, or 48 gallons an acre from soy beans, Shonsey said.
    source

Nice to see them moving away from using imported palm oil. Too bad HECO doesn't have something similar in the works for Oahu. K-bay seems a natural place for growing algae with all its gorilla ogo.

Come to think of it, if biodiesel were produced in significant enough quantity, it could retail lower than regular unleaded. Surely even craigwatanabe would find the idea of motoring along in a 2009 BMW 335d with its 425 lb/ft of torque and 33 mpg that much more tempting in such a scenario.
    Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; July 22, 2008, 05:01 PM.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      No one has figured out the right combination, if there is one. Kids mod their cars all the time. They'll come up with something even if corporate doesn't.
      Not all kids, especially those that only sees a car as a means from getting from point A to point B, not trying to get to the finish line in less than 5 seconds in a quarter-mile.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Like I said before in the Super Ferry thread, the car is an extension of one's ego. BUT NOOOOOOoooo I was drilled down by the naysayers that they weren't.
        That's because they can't handle the truth, what with their egos doing the thinking for them.

OTOH, I'd rather be caught dead behind the wheels of a Yugo.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The car is an extension of one's ego. No question. My Corolla, and Echo, at 35+mpg, screams "I'm smart!"

"That's a big truck you got there, Pee-Wee."
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
          X