Utah Here I come.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Stay In UTAH!!

Hey! I'm living North of where you are in a city called Logan, where Utah State University is. USU is in the WAC, I don't know if you knew that, but Hawaii comes to town to play them on Nov. 4th. You know I'll be there
    Go WARRIORS!

Anyways, on to the subject of smells. Yes, unfortunately, living in any of the towns just west of the Lake gets that wonderful pilau odor. When I first smelled it about 10 years ago, I thought there was a sulfur spill or some sort of mine near by. But then everyone told me that it was the salt lake and I was shocked. I like told everybody that it smelled like the rottenest eggs ever. But it seemed that everyone just ignored it. Me, I could never get use to that smell and still don't. I only smell it strong during the summer. I haven't noticed it too much during the fall and winter. I haven't lived in that area for a long time.

I call Utah my home, I'm married and have 2 kids all hapa haole. For those of you who don't know what "LDS" stands for, it's "Latter-Day Saint". It's what the mormons call themselves here. I'm mormon, but never called myself LDS. So like when I moved here, and people kept asking me if I was LDS, I said no, I don't do drugs. Eventually, I finally caught on and adapted to this area.

I haven't noticed too much discrimination, if anything alot of the people I run into go out of there way not to tick me off. You know Local Braddahs, running around w/ a short fuse. lol I was amazed at the majority (not everybody, but the majority) of the white people here were non confrontational. I had to adjust cuz here I was, this high strung local trying to understand the looks I was getting and was like, "What like beef!". But they wasn't giving me stink eye, they just wanted to talk to me and didn't know how to go about introducing themselves. HAHAA! I cracked myself up when I came to realize that.

Anyways, Pedro, give me a holler and I can hopefully help you to adjust. I not rich, I'm still poor (like papakolea poor, that's where I'm from), but I hope I can help you out.

Well, till next time. A HUI HOU!
    I usually follow the crowd .... except, when they're going the WRONG WAY!

Comment

Re: Utah Here I come.

Howzit goin' up there Pedro?
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Howzit goin' up there Pedro?
        It's going good MM. I heard about the Quake from Up here and I could hardly believe it. Some of my friends were amazed that we hardly ever get it. Last week while I was working at Macy's in their stock area or what we calll the docks where we take out all the contents from the trucks and proccess it well we had an Earth Quake Drill. The guys me and my friend who were in the truck picking up boxes were asked by our boss to find a safe secure area to duck under and take cover. Looking up two feet above us there were metal racks that were used to take out clothes last year which now stands alone by itself unused and undemolished hanging there and the racks are pretty big and encompses the whole area of the loading dock and above it are metal pipe fixtures now about six paces to the left from the docks is a trash compactor and next to it hidden under numeroues shelves is the Elevator. On the shelves are card board boxes holding metal display shelf fixtures that weigh 25 or more pounds and hanger racks and an electrical saw. For the boys our only hope was to run and jump into the trash compactor and hope no one presses the compact button. But I realized that we wouldn't have even made it close to the compactor without being burried by rubble and our dear bosses face sort of turned into a frown when she realized how safe our environment was. The girls who work with us have it good they work by little small metalic tables where they fold the garments well they can simply duck under the table and they'll be safe.
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
          It's going good MM. I heard about the Quake from Up here and I could hardly believe it. Some of my friends were amazed that we hardly ever get it. Last week while I was working at Macy's in their stock area or what we calll the docks where we take out all the contents from the trucks and proccess it well we had an Earth Quake Drill. The guys me and my friend who were in the truck picking up boxes were asked by our boss to find a safe secure area to duck under and take cover. Looking up two feet above us there were metal racks that were used to take out clothes last year which now stands alone by itself unused and undemolished hanging there and the racks are pretty big and encompses the whole area of the loading dock and above it are metal pipe fixtures now about six paces to the left from the docks is a trash compactor and next to it hidden under numeroues shelves is the Elevator. On the shelves are card board boxes holding metal display shelf fixtures that weigh 25 or more pounds and hanger racks and an electrical saw. For the boys our only hope was to run and jump into the trash compactor and hope no one presses the compact button. But I realized that we wouldn't have even made it close to the compactor without being burried by rubble and our dear bosses face sort of turned into a frown when she realized how safe our environment was. The girls who work with us have it good they work by little small metalic tables where they fold the garments well they can simply duck under the table and they'll be safe.
          Sounds like maybe Macy's needs to be visited by a representative from OSHA who can "encourage" management to make your workplace a little safer if they don't correct things themselves. While it doesn't happen too often, earthquakes do occur in the Wasatch range too.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Sounds like maybe Macy's needs to be visited by a representative from OSHA who can "encourage" management to make your workplace a little safer if they don't correct things themselves. While it doesn't happen too often, earthquakes do occur in the Wasatch range too.

Miulang
            Yeah that's true I was thinking about calling them but I would be out of a job. Maybe after I get another one that's better than I can do it, call it pay back....

Comment

I've made new friends out here and they're not like the old ones but they're just as cool. I am not looking foward for tomorrow October 18, because I turn 26 I wish that time could go backwards after you reach a certain age. My sister is taking me out and one of my co-workers is baking me a cake so life's not all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                I've made new friends out here and they're not like the old ones but they're just as cool. I am not looking foward for tomorrow October 18, because I turn 26 I wish that time could go backwards after you reach a certain age. My sister is taking me out and one of my co-workers is baking me a cake so life's not all that bad.
                Oooh! Hauoli la hanau, Pedro!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Utah Parties.

On Friday I was invited to go a wedding wtih my sister so I sort of starved myself for the occasion. I didn't eat that much except for a fried Potatoe at work which they were selling

That night I arrive at the location with my sister which is a block or two away from where I live. The Event is held in a Mormon Church where everyone is dressed as if they are going to a Business meeting of some kind. They were lining the door patiently waiting to be let into the place. It's cold the whether is between fourty six degrees and I am freezing waiting for the line to wane. When it does I made my way thru the oak doors rounded the bend and am lead into a spacious ball room where people are seated at round whited covered tables and in the back I see a long white rectangular table filled with food and another line is formed just to get there. My stomach is growling and I can feel my adrenaline rush to have something filling in my system at last. I get to the table and am surprised to only see rows and rows of cakes of every fashion. I look and search for meat or chips but there are none so I make my plate sit down and eat with my sister. The minute the sweetness hits my tongue I feel like puking but I am so hungry I gobble it all down whole. My mouth is watering and I waited for something else to be served but than my sister tells me. "I forgot to tell you that before you go to a Mormon Party you have to eat before you get there." I was so mad and angry. I mean why call it a Party it defeats the purpose of it. So I learned that Mormon parties here SUCK the BIG ONE!!

Comment

No real food, oh my! For a true local boy like you, that's terrible. Take care my friend... and eat well.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

welcome to utah pedro. i have lived in utah all my life. and omg the smell of the great salt lake groooooosssss! you will never get use to it! but for the most part utah is beautiful and fun if you know where to go and who the fun peeps are... drop me a line if you want!

Comment

Y hello Lika.... I have been living here in Utah for now(lemme see) this month make's it my fourth month. I'm sorry that I haven't been checking HT for a while. Mostly I've been working a lot and doing other things. Cool so you've been living here in Utah for sometime eh maybe you can take me around some time, just kidding.... I've been to Salt Lake and of course Ogden. But yes the smell is pretty fowl........especially on very windy day's such as today.....Oh the stench...

Comment

perdo, hey i would love to show you around. I have a friend and her ohana that are moving to utah after the new year. we should all get together and i'll show all of you around lol my friend left hawaii about 5 months ago. she tried Nevada than cali and she hates them both. she visited me and liked it here. but she was here when it was much warmer lmao i know she and her ohana are gonna get a cold shock.. hahahahaha just let me know if you would like to meet up and have a real utahian show ya a night on the town.

Comment

Hello Lika99 I think PMed you but I would love to take you up on that offer it is still there......

Comment

Working...
                            X