• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utah Here I come.

Originally posted by Pedro
    ALOHA!
    Back at'cha my friend.... email me. K?
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Aloha Pedro! Great to hear from you all the way from Utah!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What city are you in??
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Yay! Pedro's alive! Well, how hot is it today in beautiful Layton? You experiencing culture shock yet?

Miulang

My sister moved out of Layton and now lives in Westpoint, where I now reside. I was amazed to see big billboard signs a great mountain and an endless sun that don't sink until nine thirty p.m. Now that was a cultural SHOCK!!

The cool thing was when I flew from Honolulu to LA. I asked the cashier how much the inflight movies were and she went ahead and switched my ticket free of charge to Business class. I didn't know that meant 1st Class Seating. I got to watch two movies drink all the alcohol and eat all the snacks and food I wanted fer seven hours, until I landed in La where I boarded another plane all drunk and happy....
          A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
            My sister moved out of Layton and now lives in Westpoint, where I now reside. I was amazed to see big billboard signs a great mountain and an endless sun that don't sink until nine thirty p.m. Now that was a cultural SHOCK!!

The cool thing was when I flew from Honolulu to LA. I asked the cashier how much the inflight movies were and she went ahead and switched my ticket free of charge to Business class. I didn't know that meant 1st Class Seating. I got to watch two movies drink all the alcohol and eat all the snacks and food I wanted fer seven hours, until I landed in La where I boarded another plane all drunk and happy....
            I'm just glad you got there safely! West Point must be a fairly new city/town. When I lived in SLC, that town didn't exist! I checked out the demographics of your new town and it looks like there are lots and lots of young people living there. It's also near Clearfield and near Hell AFB, which means lots of military living in that area, too. But you're also close to the Great Salt Lake, so if you haven't already hele'd over there yet, get there soon! Sunsets over the Great Salt Lake are just awesome, with the Oquirrh Mountains in the background to the west. Does Antelope Island still exist in the middle of the GSL? I know at least once some years ago the road on the dike that leads to Antelope Island washed away. Go into Ogden too, and cruise Main St. (we used to).

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              I'm just glad you got there safely! West Point must be a fairly new city/town. When I lived in SLC, that town didn't exist! I checked out the demographics of your new town and it looks like there are lots and lots of young people living there. It's also near Clearfield and near Hell AFB, which means lots of military living in that area, too. But you're also close to the Great Salt Lake, so if you haven't already hele'd over there yet, get there soon! Sunsets over the Great Salt Lake are just awesome, with the Oquirrh Mountains in the background to the west. Does Antelope Island still exist in the middle of the GSL? I know at least once some years ago the road on the dike that leads to Antelope Island washed away. Go into Ogden too, and cruise Main St. (we used to).

Miulang

I think Antelope island still exist, I haven't gone to the Great Salt Lake yet but will do so. Here they have this weird made up dish called "Hawaiian Haystacks" which is rice and chowmein with chicken and gravy all over with small dishes of pineapple, green onions and so forth. I haven't tried it, but I heard the chicken was good. On friday I went with my sister to Hill Airforce base to participate with her in their little fitness day fair. I played dodge ball only and did not bad my team won 2nd place and we were all awarded a medallion which I hang on my door to remind me I am a WINNER. Besides that I am amazed to see how gigantic that area really is.

Comment

What is the cost of living up there like?
                Do you like it very much?
                Are there very many white Mormons? Discrimination?

Sorry to bombard you with questions when I don't know you, but I've been looking at going to school in Utah for quite awhile, but I can't find anybody to tell me what it's like. What was the transition like?
                It's magic, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by jessicat
                  What is the cost of living up there like?
                  Do you like it very much?
                  Are there very many white Mormons? Discrimination?

Sorry to bombard you with questions when I don't know you, but I've been looking at going to school in Utah for quite awhile, but I can't find anybody to tell me what it's like. What was the transition like?
                  I hope you don't mind my responding to your question... Which school are you looking at going to? You'll find a heavier LDS (i.e., "Mormon") population outside of Salt Lake City. The University of Utah in SLC is a very good school and has a decent mix of LDS and non-LDS students. Most of the residents of the Intermountain West states are Caucasian, regardless of their religious affiliation. That was the one cultural aspect that I really didn't like. I think if there is any discrimination to be felt it will come from being non-white, not from being non-Mormon. You'll find the people, for the most part, to be friendly and hard working. The cost of living is fairly low, especially relative to Hawaii.
                  Last edited by U'ilani; August 31, 2006, 09:38 PM.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Oh, I'll take any answers I can get! lol.

I'm looking at the University of Utah, Southern Utah University, and Weber State University.

I'm really just quite worried about the diversity factor-- I'm part black, part okinawan, and I've never lived in a place where whites were the majority (except on base in Okinawa and here, and somehow that doesn't really count), so I'm a little worried I won't be able to fit in.

Although, I hear that Mormons are very kind.

And how's the weather? I've probably never been in anything colder than 50, so is it very hard to adjust?
                    It's magic, you know.

Comment

If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would have gone to school in Utah (I got my bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah). I actually never got over the cultural shock, not to mention the desert climate. Why Utah, of all places?
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Honestly?
                        I'd really just like to go somewhere thats not Hawaii, but is also not super expensive (like Cali or Washington). Utah just seems to deliciously opposite. Don't get me wrong, I love Hawaii, but I don't want to stay here forever. I want to learn how to adjust to a different environment.

I also know a gentlemen from Utah, and he told me all good things.

I'd cross my fingers to pay WUE tuition, or perhaps apply for their diversity scholarship.
                        It's magic, you know.

Comment

Honestly?
                          I love Hawaii, but I don't want to stay here forever. I want to learn how to adjust to a different environment.
                          Yup, I'm totally with you on this one. It's a good thing to challenge yourself like that.

I also know a gentlemen from Utah, and he told me all good things.
                          Well, this is how I ended up transferring from UH to BYU, lol--I ended up marrying the guy.

Good luck. I probably sounded overly negative about Utah. Pedro will be able to give you a better perspective on it. Hopefully Miulang will also read your post and chime in when she can.
                          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

You married him? Hehe, promising indeed.

Anyway, lol, thank you for your input.
                            It's magic, you know.

Comment

I'm part ... okinawan
                              If you choose to move there, could you call yourself "Utah-nanchu"?

Comment

Here I am again talking about the wonders of Utah. There's this draft wafting in from the mountains carrying over into the neighborhood, followed by this stale salty smell that is so fowl that everywhere in my house smells like that oderous scent, it's like something died here and I can't find the source ewwwwwwwww!!! Now I've been told by just about everyone I met about how stink the Salt Lake is including the bus drivers. My sister told me that the hideous smell that's invading my nostrils right now as I am typing this to you all is from that particular area. It's like when the waves from the ocean splash over on the rocks leaving it's residue to pool in a small little opening in the rock. Over time after sitting their the water begins to stink that is what I am smelling now PU. Not even the airisole I have can destroy it's foul wreek someone save me from this torture ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I guess that could be one of the reason of why some of the people here are so salty
                                Last edited by Pedro; September 4, 2006, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X