M. Night Shyamalan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M. Night Shyamalan

I enjoyed The Sixth Sense, even though I saw the "twist" coming from a mile away, but the rest of his films leave me frustrated. He gets wonderful performances from his actors and he's very good conveying mood and atmosphere, but his stories tend to implode toward the end.

So far he has directed only movies that he has written, and I'd love to see what he could do with someone else's story. With stronger scripts, I bet he'd be capable of directing a masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      The one that could actually happen in real life would be The Village. Not that it would disturbe me.
      It happens every day. Think about it. People engrossed in their own little world, with their rules and consequences, oblivious or in some cases hiding from another world.
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I enjoyed Unbreakable probably because I read a lot of comics. I think most people either loved it or hated it. It was not the typical superhero origin. Wikipedia has a pretty good write up.
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

M. Night Shyamalan

I really enjoy his movies. Very different...always a twist at the end.

1)Unbreakable
          2)The Village
          3)Signs
          4)Sixth Sense

havent seen Lady in the Water yet.

Comment

If you didn't mind Signs or the Vllage than you are good...lady in the Water was very good!
            BUT if you hated the above mentioned...I don't know.
            My sister hated it. I loved it...my husband said he liked it but not enough gore.

Frankly...I am a huge fan and will watch anything from him!
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post

Frankly...I am a huge fan and will watch anything from him!
              well, then;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkhqjY_tvc

Comment

I like how M. Night always does a cameo in his films. More directors should be so proud of thier works.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

I thought signs sucked,
                  an alien that cant turn a door handle?

I liked 6th sense and Unbreakable however. Didnt see Village or Lady
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                    LOL thanks Kimo...way to start my morning with a laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                      I like how M. Night always does a cameo in his films. More directors should be so proud of thier works.
                      What? Lots of directors make cameos in their own films. Alfred Hitchcock being among the more notable names, but Martin Scorsese, John Huston, and of course Quentin Tarantino have done the same. Sometimes it's done with a wink, an easter egg for fans, but a lot of times it's purely indulgent and unnecessary. Considering how Night positioned himself in "Lady in the Water," I vote indulgent and unnecessary.

I thought "Sixth Sense" was good, and I imagine he's had another good story or two. But it's clear there's about as much hype out there as talent. And when Shyamalan gets involved in his own hype machine, I'd say the shark has pretty much been jumped.

Comment

He is the master of hype....all his films have been NOT what I expected. But I love the suspense anyway...he reminds me of a gentler less gorified day in Hollywood. Seems nowadays every movie has such detail....I remember Hitchcock and John Wayne...Never saw the gaping wounds...

I was surprised to see him in such a long role in Lady, but it didn't distract from the movie so who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          Considering how Night positioned himself in "Lady in the Water," I vote indulgent and unnecessary.
                          He tends to act in supporting roles and while his role in Lady in the Water is the longest role he has done to date, that role is still a supporting one. I suppose he could have done the role of Reggie or maybe the movie critic role instead.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            What? Lots of directors make cameos in their own films. Alfred Hitchcock being among the more notable names, but Martin Scorsese, John Huston, and of course Quentin Tarantino have done the same. Sometimes it's done with a wink, an easter egg for fans, but a lot of times it's purely indulgent and unnecessary. Considering how Night positioned himself in "Lady in the Water," I vote indulgent and unnecessary.

I thought "Sixth Sense" was good, and I imagine he's had another good story or two. But it's clear there's about as much hype out there as talent. And when Shyamalan gets involved in his own hype machine, I'd say the shark has pretty much been jumped.
                            dont forget stephen king, kevin smith, stan lee =p
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

MEL Gibson!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                                He is the master of hype....all his films have been NOT what I expected. But I love the suspense anyway...he reminds me of a gentler less gorified day in Hollywood. Seems nowadays every movie has such detail....I remember Hitchcock and John Wayne...Never saw the gaping wounds...

I was surprised to see him in such a long role in Lady, but it didn't distract from the movie so who cares.

I felt totally ripped off by "The Village."

Comment

Working...
                                X