"Lost" Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" Season 3

I thought we were doing spoilers for the TIVO crowd; that's why I put mine between the tags.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

meh, for a season opener could have used more action.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

You are free to use spoiler tags or just post the stuff straight as is. Since there are several options in which people can catch episodes these days, I don't think there is any need to delay discussion. Folks who haven't seen the episode best stay away from the thread if they don't want to be spoiled. The rest of us, just go for it.

As for tonight's episode, the part with Sawyer and Kate in the separate cages certainly reminded me of all things, Taylor and Nova in the original Planet of the Apes movie.... that kind of separation.. I dunno what it means but it is just me.. and the fact that Sawyer was kind of treated like a monkey too.

In the first season, I always thought the plane was a DC-10 or L1011. Now with this new view of the plane crash it is only a double engine jumbo jet... possibly a 767.

Someone told me the prison set where Jack was in is at the Diamond Head studio, the old Baywatch swimming pool, which makes sense since the place nearly filled up with water. The cage area where Sawyer was is at the old Paradise Park up in Manoa.

And for you youngsters out there, the song that opened the episode is called "Downtown" and is sung by Petula Clark. Went #1 on Billboard in 1965. The producers seem to like old 60s hits.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          The cage area where Sawyer was is at the old Paradise Park up in Manoa.
          Great catch! I knew that I'd seen the area but couldn't place it. It was too overgrown to be the zoo. I never thought of Paradise Park which is the perfect place to film this.

Anyone have any idea of whether the town in the first scene was real or a set built somewhere?

John

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            I really think this was a showcase episode for Matthew Fox. And Elizabeth Mitchell is great.
            Indeed she is. I couldn't remember why she looked so familiar, and then it hit me in the final scene when she played therapist to Jack. She played Dr. Legaspi, Dr. Weaver's lesbian love interest, on ER.

They really threw a curve ball with Otherville. I really didn't see THAT one coming.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

The opener for this episode answers a few things from the last two years.
              1. I initially thought that the aftermath of the crash of flight 815 was staged, but this is false.
              2. The Others were just as surprised of seeing Oceanic 815 breaking up over them, so while they managed to place their people with the crash survivors they did not cause the crash.
              3. Seems that the polar bears where at the Others' area.

Of course this episode does raises the following questions:
              1. Who or what are the Others hiding from?
              2. Who is really in control of the monster on the island?
              3. Why place Jack in an underwater facility?
              4. Why do the Others want to cause harm to the Oceanic 815 people?
              5. How do the Others get resupplied?
              6. What other animals did the Others have around?
              7. Do the Others have some sort of communications link with the outside world?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                I'm pretty sure "Othersville" was Camp Erdman/Mokuleia side.
                Yes indeed. I've read that the buildings are still there. Looks like a place to check out, eh PZ?

I actually found that this episode was pretty good at answering questions that arose during the episode without leaving us guessing. Examples:

1) We saw the Others' Village and wondered where was it. They panned out and showed us.
                2) We wondered who Ben was and what was fake Henry's real name. They told us.
                3) We suspected that Sawyer was in a polar bear cage and they confirmed it.
                4) We suspected Jack was in the underwater hatch and they verified that he was.
                5) We wondered if Sarah was having an affair with Jack's father and they confirmed that she wasn't plus we learned why Jack's father started drinking again.
                6) We always have wondered how Ethan and Goodwin ended up at the two crash sites and we learned how and why.
                7) We wondered about some of the purposes of the Dharma project and we learned that it does involve "punishment and reward" training. They have done this before with the polar bears and now they're doing it to Sawyer and Jack.
                8) We wondered if the Others were separated from the Outside World and we learned that they seem to have a way to get detailed and up-to-date information on the crash survivors. It seems that the Dharma project is still ongoing and that the new "subjects" may very well be the crash survivors.
                9) We learned that the Others appear to be the scientists overseeing the entire project and that they have their entire families there with them. We saw old people, middle aged people and young people.

All in all, I think that the episode answered a lot of questions, just as promised.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  Indeed she is. I couldn't remember why she looked so familiar, and then it hit me in the final scene when she played therapist to Jack. She played Dr. Legaspi, Dr. Weaver's lesbian love interest, on ER.
                  THAT's where she was from!!! I went to bed wondering!! Thanks alot.
                  I was left confused and with many more questions...I love that!
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                    THAT's where she was from!!! I went to bed wondering!! Thanks alot.
                    I was left confused and with many more questions...I love that!
                    She also plays Tim Allen's wife (Mrs. Claus) in the second and upcoming third movie in The Santa Clause trilogy.

John

Comment

After viewing the start of this past Wednesday episode a few times I sort of noticed that after the tremors had stop The Others left their houses and started to look up in the sky for something.

I think such events has happened to them before. While not planning for planes to crash they seem quick to react when planes do happen to crash on the island.

Comment

Using the Red Sox winning the World Series was cute. I can understand Jack's disbelief.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I am wondering where the other laborers that was with Sawyer and Kate came from.

And Ben admitting he has been on the island for his whole life.

Comment

Maybe its because im not feeling well, but this episode kind of pissed me off.
                            When Sawyer got the rifle and Kate was just standing there all sad, or when the lady (trixie from deadwood) said 'you wont shoot me', I was shouting 'shoot her, shoot her'

btw,

You taste like a fish bisquit
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

My wife and I blogged our thoughts in detail, but in short, we liked it. The Red Sox moment was a great moment for the series overall. It certainly made up for the "Ogling Kate" scene, and the generally weak subplot of Sun, Jin and Sayid on the boat.

They went back to the First Hawaiian Center for Mr. Paik's office, but they didn't modify it as much as the first time we saw it -- they even left some of the Contemporary Museum gallery pieces in place. Jae was buried at Honolulu Memorial Park. The "rock moving" work site looked like the Mililani Mauka lychee farm mentioned earlier.

But, I'm not sure where Jae's apartment was (the elevator plaque indicated the second floor, but the door indicated the 15th floor), where Jin and Sun lived (the door looked very distinctive), nor do I know if the hotel where Jin confronted him was the same hotel Jin worked at (Royal Garden) -- it sure looked different. As for Sun's childhood home... anyone recognize it? It looked a lot like Susan Lloyd's home in Australia (where Michael went to pick up Walt and Vincent).

Comment

Sorry. But the fisherman in me has to chime in. Specifically, Jin hacking the head off of an onaga (or perhaps an opakapaka, it was a fast scene, but I know that beautiful tail) does not make sense. What, they motored out past the 50 fathom curve, dropped 300 feet of line into the water and bounced off the bottom?

It would have been more believable if the fish was an inshore species or one that was topwater or midwater (not a bottomfish).
                                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                                X