• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    We’ve even tried “TheBoat.”

So What haven’t we tried yet?
    Try "S-U-P-E-R-F-E-R-R-Y", which all those mainland hippies effectively destroyed and caused 350+ people to lose jobs and an opportunity to decrease traffic without paying narry a cent. The Ferry could be modified to carry 1,000 people without their cars and make multiple trips from Kalaeloa and Honolulu Harbor during rush hour. All we had to do was make provisions for bus transport from within neighborhoods and large parking areas for those who need to drive to the port.

I say get rid of those trouble makers and bring back the ferry. Those two things will help solve our traffic woes.

We're the only State residing near large masses of water that doesn't use if for transportation. How stupid are we? And don't give me any bull crap about killing whales or destroying our reef sytem. Matson already did that! Besides, the whales hang out at the mall.
    Last edited by helen; February 8, 2010, 08:06 PM. Reason: fixing the quote

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      So What haven’t we tried yet?
      Well, we could pass all kinds of taxes on cars so essentially, the only affordable cars to choose from would be Smart, Mini, Aveo, Fit, Yaris, type of cars. If the majority of car owners ended up with these vehicles, you would have increased capacity on the existing roads. But in all honestly, what politician will have that kind of will power to pass such legislation? I can see all the car dealers and what not form a lobbying alliance of some sort to shoot this down.

Or we could go third world style and designate certain lanes as scooter-only lanes, again increasing the existing roads' capacity. But Harris couldn't even do it for his BRT, doubt this will happen either.

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
      Try "S-U-P-E-R-F-E-R-R-Y", which all those mainland hippies effectively destroyed and caused 350+ people to lose jobs and an opportunity to decrease traffic without paying narry a cent. The Ferry could be modified to carry 1,000 people without their cars and make multiple trips from Kalaeloa and Honolulu Harbor during rush hour.
      The ferry seats 800+ pax as is so I would say you don't even need to modify, just keep the cargo decks empty. But with two ships, what type of ferry frequency service can you provide?

Comment

How stupid are we?
        We're as stupid as those that voted in a Governor that would be willing to blow it by not following proper proceedure on something so important. Them danged hippies just did what it took to get it corrected, then the SF owners ran away.

Everybody lost.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          We're as stupid as those that voted in a Governor that would be willing to blow it by not following proper proceedure on something so important. Them danged hippies just did what it took to get it corrected, then the SF owners ran away.

Everybody lost.
          You have a point. However, time was of the essence, and time waits for no one. One must seize the opportunity when it presents itself. It's just so unfortunate things happened the way it did. In the business world, you have to take chances. It's very easy for one thing to derail a great business venture.

Notice "they're" not going after the shipping companies to provide an Environmental Impact Statement. I'm sure it's because it will have a profoundly detrimental impact on our lives. It's too bad they couldn't grant the a similar exemption with the understanding that a $5.3 Billion tax burden, plus the cost to run rail will do just that. The people also forget that $2 Billion is needed to upgrade the Sand Island Wastewater Treatment Plant, which is being demanded by the EPA.

I think we're really screwed. Thankx, Mufi. You'll join Jeremy Harris in the Hall of Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Well, we could pass all kinds of taxes on cars so essentially, the only affordable cars to choose from would be Smart, Mini, Aveo, Fit, Yaris, type of cars. If the majority of car owners ended up with these vehicles, you would have increased capacity on the existing roads. But in all honestly, what politician will have that kind of will power to pass such legislation? I can see all the car dealers and what not form a lobbying alliance of some sort to shoot this down.

Or we could go third world style and designate certain lanes as scooter-only lanes, again increasing the existing roads' capacity. But Harris couldn't even do it for his BRT, doubt this will happen either.

The ferry seats 800+ pax as is so I would say you don't even need to modify, just keep the cargo decks empty. But with two ships, what type of ferry frequency service can you provide?
            Our founding Fathers are turning in their graves at the idea that taxes is the answer to everything. If we taxed stupidity at the State Capitol and City Council, our State would be in the black.

If you get 2 superferries doing 2 runs each morning, that's maybe around 3,200 people. That's a lot of cars off the road. Supplement at with a better bus system, and you've got a solution at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

Our founding Fathers are turning in their graves at the idea that taxes is the answer to everything. If we taxed stupidity at the State Capitol and City Council, our State would be in the black.

If you get 2 superferries doing 2 runs each morning, that's maybe around 3,200 people. That's a lot of cars off the road. Supplement at with a better bus system, and you've got a solution at a fraction of the cost.
              Well, we could do the opposite. Sell off all the roadways and sell off all municipal parking garages. I don't see why gov't has to be involved in making sure there is sufficient roadways and parking spots if our founding fathers are anti-tax everything.

So is the expectation to be four runs during rush hour from 6-9? I guess it will be slightly better than the three runs The Boat made an hour apart each time. But somehow, I don't see that schedule very appealing. I'm also trying to envision 800+ pax loading/unloading via that one plank staircase they have on those boats.

Comment

hi,i wish to share that i just spoke with my aunt and she shared with me that when she lived here year's ago,when my aunt and her hubby heard that their was a tsunami coming only to learn that their was only a slight wave and they were in town stuck in traffic gridlock and they didnt return home until late and she shared with me that we do need rail is she and her hubby was tired of sitting in traffic gridlock and that's a true reason we need rail. brt wont work as panos p would like.
                well thank's for your time =O)

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  Well, we could do the opposite. Sell off all the roadways and sell off all municipal parking garages. I don't see why gov't has to be involved in making sure there is sufficient roadways and parking spots if our founding fathers are anti-tax everything.

So is the expectation to be four runs during rush hour from 6-9? I guess it will be slightly better than the three runs The Boat made an hour apart each time. But somehow, I don't see that schedule very appealing. I'm also trying to envision 800+ pax loading/unloading via that one plank staircase they have on those boats.
                  Our founding fathers were anti-government, period. "For the people, and by the people", not "for the government, by the politicians". We're supposed to be a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy where the theoretical 51% can tell the other 49% what to do, especially with their hard earned money.

By the way, The Boat only carried around 30 people.

And I'm sure building bigger planks wouln't cost $5.3 billion.

Comment

Our founding fathers were anti-government, period. "For the people, and by the people", not "for the government, by the politicians". We're supposed to be a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy where the theoretical 51% can tell the other 49% what to do, especially with their hard earned money.

By the way, The Boat only carried around 30 people.

And I'm sure building bigger planks wouln't cost $5.3 billion.
                    Respectfully, it's not 1776 anymore. Along the way, amendments were made and society changed as well. Otherwise, our founding fathers also accepted slavery and no women's rights either. So why should we abolish what they had back then as well?

Yes, The Boat had poor ridership and that's my point. Its service was three times during rush hour. You suggested making four runs during rush hour. So that will suddenly bump the ridership up to 800+?

It's not the plank that's the issue, there is only one entrance for pax on each side of the vessel.

Comment

Seen the clip on CNN w street-level light rail colliding w a bus?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...sh.ktrk?hpt=T2
                      Last edited by Kimo; February 10, 2010, 08:36 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

This one in Phoenix is pretty bad too, the van crumples up like an empty soda can.

http://www.kpho.com/video/21870143/index.html

Comment

hi i just viewed this and it's not good only i wouldnt think if we had our rail that something like this would happen is our mayor would have good driver's apply and pass all of the thing's that they would require and then pass a training course to drive the rail and then they'd be certified to drive the rail and their wouldnt be any tragidie's.

well thank's for your time=o)

Comment

More complete silliness about this rail project!
                            For over a year, it's been known that the propsed elevated railway is too close to the airport and 'they' didn't address that fact.
                            honolulu advertiser article
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

hi i wish to share that we need the rail is i spoke to my aunt,my mom's baby sis and she mentioned when she lived here year's ago,when they had a tsunami scare, she was in trafficgridlock and they didnt arrive at home till late and she was fustrated and my eldest sis say's we do need a rail since no one would wish to be stuck in gridlock.

i myself even though i dont drive and only ride a moped,it's not nice to be stuck in gridlock is i've been through that and only in my neighborhhood,we need buses is a rail wouldnt be good in our area.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                More complete silliness about this rail project!
                                For over a year, it's been known that the propsed elevated railway is too close to the airport and 'they' didn't address that fact.
                                honolulu advertiser article
                                According to KGMB:
                                http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/...asp?S=12207738
                                There is a rift between the State of Hawaii and City and County of Honolulu over the rail transit project and how close the route is to runways at the Honolulu International Airport. The state is concerned the train will be within 1,000 feet of the runway. Now both sides disagree on when these concerns were expressed. The State Department of Transportation is publishing all its correspondence with the city dating back to August 2006.
                                Read the correspondence for yourself, and then try to figure out how the City can deny having been warned:
                                http://hawaii.gov/dot/railtransit
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X