This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

I wish they'd just go with enhanced The Bus like the bus drivers want. Way cheaper and useful, less infrastucture realignment and hassles.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I too like the idea of more lanes and busses.

Here's a news link to important info concerning the rail, local jobs, costs...
      West Oahu Councilman Tom Berg Challenges Mayor Carlisle Over Costly and Job-Exporting Vendor Selected for Honolulu Rail Project.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Great link! A lot of dialogue there on less discussed reasons for revisiting the procurement process. Personally, I think the real test on those issues will come to a head in the DCCA hearing requested by Sumitomo and Bombardier.

In the mean time, looks like HART resisted pressure from Mayor Carlisle to sue the City Council and has decided to live with the oversight secured by council members. A baby step to be sure, but I think it’s a great start!

Rail board will not sue for control of budget
        The transit authority’s leaders decline to challenge the City Council’s oversight

By Gene Park
        POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jul 02, 2011

After months of legal threats volleyed between Mayor Peter Carlisle and the City Council over who has oversight of the authority’s budget, the rail board decided to not pursue legal action against the Council's version of the budget, which was enacted with a veto override earlier this week.

The Council has asserted that the City Charter amendment that created the board intended that the Council approve appropriation requests. Carlisle has said the rail authority should be the only entity to approve its budget, and initially was willing to go to court over the matter.

Earlier this week Carlisle deferred to the transit authority on the legal question. Yesterday Don Horner, who will chair the authority’s Finance Committee, said a lawsuit is “not in the best interest of taxpayers.”
        Good point, Don!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

How the city misled the public Despite chronic, troubling spin on facts, rail is not a done deal, a prominent quartet insists
          By Walter Heen, Benjamin Cayetano, Cliff Slater and Randall Roth
          POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Aug 21, 2011

The city has paid more than $2 million in taxpayer money to 10 different public relations firms to promote its heavy-rail project.
          Here's what they have not yet told you: http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y
          Login for more...
          I don't have a Star- Advertiser subscription so can't get more of the story!

$Two million to try an sell us on the idea of an outdated style of rail that will cripple us even more in mainenance. Just plain lame. IMO

Comment

AIRCRAFT CARRIERS IN THE SKY
            The local chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) prepared renderings like the one above to help the public picture an elevated heavy-rail system on Oahu . The 20-mile railway would be at least three stories tall, held aloft by 720 large concrete columns. Some of the stations would be 10 stories high. One AIA member described the stations as "aircraft carriers in the sky."

A group like the AIA normally has a vested interest in supporting major construction projects. We admire its courage in providing a contrast to the city's deceptive renderings.

PARSONS BRINCKERHOFF TIES, HISTORY
            The mayor, City Council members and Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) board all lack expertise and experience with rail systems, so they must rely on others. Crucial information about the proposed rail project can be traced to one of three sources: Parsons Brinckerhoff, which has already received more than $100 million in contracts from the city and stands to receive another $300 million to $400 million if the project is built; InfraConsult, a firm formed by three former Parsons Brinckerhoff employees, which the city hired to provide oversight on Parsons Brinckerhoff's work; and Wayne Yoshioka, who was recruited by Mayor Mufi Hannemann from Parsons Brinckerhoff to head up the city's Department of Transportation Services, and whose wife continues to work at Parsons Brinckerhoff. Parsons Brinckerhoff has a history in Hawaii and elsewhere. For example, it was project manager on the H-3 freeway, which was finally built only because of Sen. Daniel Inouye's influence in Congress, which exempted H-3 from federal environmental law.

Several years ago, the Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff consortium was investigated for its work on the so-called Big Dig in Boston , and ended up paying $407 million to avoid criminal and civil liability. A Boston TV station described Parsons Brinckerhoff as "infamous in Massachusetts ," and linked with "shoddy work and cost overruns."

There is also a highly critical audit of Parsons Brinckerhoff's work in California as program manager of that state's high-speed rail project. The audit complains of "inadequate planning, weak oversight, and lax contract management."

Parsons Brinckerhoff worked on the Tren Urbano rail project in San Juan , Puerto Rico , which was projected to cost $1 billion and enjoy high ridership. Instead, it sustained a 113 percent cost overrun and had actual ridership only 27 percent of the original forecast for 2010. A new 5.5 percent tax was enacted partly because of unforeseen rail costs.

STACKING THE DECK
            When Jeremy Harris was mayor, Parsons Brinckerhoff said Bus/Rapid Transit (BRT) could accomplish virtually all of the objectives of rail at substantially less cost. A few years later when Hannemann was mayor, Parsons Brinckerhoff excluded BRT from the alternatives analysis despite a federal requirement that the city objectively evaluate "all reasonable alternatives."

Hannemann repeatedly portrayed rail as a solution to Oahu 's existing traffic congestion problem. Mayor Peter Carlisle has echoed that message. Yet city transit chief Yoshioka now acknowledges that "traffic congestion will be worse in the future with rail than what it is today without rail."

Yoshioka's admission is not some off-hand comment: It was written, reviewed, and included in the environmental impact study that was approved by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA)....

....We believe that elevated heavy rail would adversely impact the environment, economy and people of this state without reducing traffic congestion. We also believe the city has systematically misled the public. We have nothing to gain financially by stopping the current rail project, other than benefits that would flow to other local citizens. We believe our lawsuit will lead to an affordable traffic solution that protects the environment and preserves the qualities that make Hawaii special.

OMG!!!

Comment

I don't mean to slap anyone down, but you copied almost the entire piece and your only comment is OMG?

It's a well-argued position, but I think it sidesteps a few things that argue in favor of the plan that's in place. Need to digest it a little more, though.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I don't mean to slap anyone down, but you copied almost the entire piece and your only comment is OMG?

It's a well-argued position, but I think it sidesteps a few things that argue in favor of the plan that's in place. Need to digest it a little more, though.
                HaHaHa! Thanks scrivener. Seems the article says it all already.
                And what pray tell could possibly 'argue in favor of the plan in place'?
                You do know what happens after something is digested, right? HaHa!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

It's a well-argued position, but I think it sidesteps a few things that argue in favor of the plan that's in place.
                  Seems the article says it all already.
                  I think that is scrivener’s point. As evidenced by your paraphrase marks [...], you left out some of the article, yet posted way more than you needed. As an HT veteran, n00bs on this board look to members like you to set a good example and post properly. Cite a few paragraphs using quotes
                  like this
                  and include a link like this to your source if the reader wants to see the whole thing. This board is for original thought, not plagiarism. Try not to make more work for the admins, Menehune Man.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Oh well. I'm sorry that I didn't properly post.
                    Still haven't heard anything 'for' rail or 'against' the article though. Hmmm?

Comment

Here are two videos concerning Steel on Steel rail in general & the second on Oahu's endeavor.

Steel on Steel rail lines are sooo noisy when the trains pass by that nearby businesses can't get customers, go out of business. This taken in San Jose California... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkjpDBHbKYU

And this from the Hawaii Reporter... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GQ7_...ture=autoshare

Comment

This taken in San Jose California... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkjpDBHbKYU

That's actually Fruitvale, San Jose is about 40 miles south.

I fail to see how this comparison validates any point on potential noise for HART considering BART is a 10 car train (ie what is the noise level of one car passing a freeway underpass at 55MPH vs 10 passing in a group or how about a couple of Harleys), and BART is also 40 year old tech.

How about at least presenting a train model produced in the 21st century (2006) if wanting to point out noise levels of 10 car trains?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeUc...eature=related

Comment

Maybe they'll use that famous steel that doesn't rust!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Or get so hot it begins to melt and collapse to the ground like WTC when at 10 stories high, it could get hit by a hijacked airliner, lmbo.
                            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Ah, the lovely sound of BART - I remember it well. I liked BART because I could easily take my bike and avoid connecting buses, 'fore and aft' the ride. The heavier standard rail system on the peninsula was less bike friendly, but also less noisy and smoother riding.

I'm against rail for Oahu - it makes no sense, as the bus fulfills our needs entirely and can adapt to changes in technology and demographics with utter ease via scheduling/routing changes and vehicle modernization. Why chain ourselves to a single supplier of an expensive-to-alter system which will be almost entirely dependent upon our existing adaptable bus (and road) system fore, aft and abeam?
                              Last edited by salmoned; November 5, 2011, 07:07 PM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

And I concur Salmoned!

Comment

Working...
                                X