This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

I lived only 17 miles from the epicenter when that Loma Prieta, nicknamed "World Series" quake hit that Oct. of '89. I vaguely recall the news talking of fitting our overpasses with steel and that it prevent them doing from what happened that day. If they are built properly they will be fine during quakes, except for an "end of the world" quake that's over an 8 mag. or something.

The big island is overdue for some 7magnitude quaking, that's for sure but double decker hiways will be fine if built with more than cement. Remember, we already have overpasses that can fall during quaking.

Rail is wrong, but now that some wise folks are pushing to put it to a

VOTE!.....I think we'll be just fine. I've gotta see how I can help to get the signatures for the vote. I heard we have until August to get 60,000 sigs.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to karen,i wouldnt sign it for any reason is stop rail now would only want it their way and we as a community need rail as i've shared and if we dont have it,we as a community would wait possibly another 16 year's or so and by that time,maybe no one would want rail so i would be with the mayor to have this rail built without any objection's and it would be a good thing.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Sensei, of course they, the petitioners want it their way, I do too, we all do. But...why not sign? The signing the petition won't prevent rail. Signing the petition brings it to a vote and that is really the right and only way to fairly and rightly handle any matter that is so huge, important and in this case, both....being BillIONS of our money.

Why would anyone on either side avoid voting? Unless the ones that want rail are afraid that to put it to vote they then will be forced to admit that they are not in the majority?

Let's vote and put the debate to rest. Let's do the fair and just thing.....vote and let the majority have their, or our, way.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to karen,i respect your view's only this is incorrect with this stop rail now group and we need to follow the mayor who can bring rail without fail not like 16 year's ago who the mayor at that time failed due to the city council so i wouldnt sign for any reason.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Excellent website, and it is not but 30,000 signatures needed to force a vote! that's by August....woo hoo we can download petition pages and start getting them filled.

www.stoprailnow.com

Comment

There were close to 100 people at our press conference today. Stop Rail Now!

Thanks Karen for the link. We have to get 40,000 signatures + more because inevitably people end up with duplicates or sigs of unregistered voters.

I'll be posting more photos to my flickr site tonight and tomorrow.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks, Mel!

Oh man, you are so right. The signatures must be verifiable as registered voters so more than the law's minimum is a must.

I think this is going to happen, and we will be voting on it, and that the will of the people will be known, and that the majority of us are against rail. I'm smilin...it's such a blessing to feel encouraged for a change.

Comment

What else could a politician has/her name attached to it as a memorial? What's Frank Fasi or Jeremy Harris name in front of what landmark?

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    Rail is wrong, but now that some wise folks are pushing to put it to a

VOTE!.....I think we'll be just fine. I've gotta see how I can help to get the signatures for the vote. I heard we have until August to get 60,000 sigs.
                    And if the public majority voted they want rail, will you continue to protest?
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I will always speak my mind, yes. I'm not a "go along to get along" kind of gal. I have a spine, sharp mind, strong opinions and have never been intimidated by debate or any bully type, soulless person in my life, but!

If the majority vote rail I will continue to pay my part and jump out of the way of the thing if I'm on the path of the track, sure. LOL.....

I support Voting for it totally and I support the will of the majority on this...becoming fulfilled, you got it.

Comment

I support Voting for it totally and I support the will of the majority on this...becoming fulfilled, you got it.
                        Then let's put it to a public vote. I'd sign the petition to have that, not to support the "Stop Rail Now" cause. I'm more "Start Rail Now."

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          What's Frank Fasi or Jeremy Harris name in front of what landmark?
                          The Municipal Building on the corner of King and Alapai (650 South King is the official address) is now the Frank F. Fasi Municipal Building. Was renamed last year in honor of the former mayor.

As for the ballot initiative, it is not going to be easy to get that many names in so short of a time. But if people are passionate enough about the issue one way or another, it may be doable.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You got it!~ that is the idea...sign the petition and force it to a vote. This having a mayor DICTATE that we WILL have rail and that no matter what our council says, it WILL be one and only one type of rail is not how our country nor this island is run.

VOTE.......may be the most exciting thing we vote on this Nov. It'll be cool to be excited about local politics again and actually have a cause to believe in, and save us billions, also.

If the rail were to happen it would not be used enough to undo gridlock on our hiways, I am convinced.

But, for now...we fight for the right to VOTE and show Mufi he is not going to rule by "Executive Order."

Comment

If the rail were to happen it would not be used enough to undo gridlock on our hiways, I am convinced.

But, for now...we fight for the right to VOTE and show Mufi he is not going to rule by "Executive Order."
                              Agreed on both points.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Perhaps, but we can't solve it in one sitting. I know the initial route plan kinda suck, but we can grow from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X