X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mass transit renderings

Originally posted by LikaNui
    New renderings were just posted at this link.
    After looking at them, I just want to know where the station will be to get off for Adventureland and Tomorrowland and the Matterhorn.

Those look like the same before and after pictures I saw in my earlier link.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      As an example, the first time the Seattle voters authorized the establishment of an expanded Monorail system, the price tag was like $3 billion (this was in the early 90s). By the time all the land was acquired (yes, through eminent domain) and after a series of raucous public meetings in 2005, the monorail authority sheepishly admitted that they had "underestimated" the total cost of the 26 mile line. So they went back to the drawing board and came up with a line that was only 13 miles long, didn't really go where it needed to go and said, "oh by the way, the price tag for the 13-mile line is going to be $13 billion. At that point, the taxpayers of Seattle said enough is enough and through a referendum, soundly killed the expanded Monorail line.
      And that is one good thing you folks did in Seattle. You have referndum to put this kind of stuff to a public vote. We don't. We should. Something this big should never be left only to the politicians. The people should vote on whether or not we want to fund and build a rail with our tax dollar.

Let Honolulu Vote
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Rail Transit

What does everyone think about the whole mass transit issue?

I think it is long over due to be built. As long as the dumb ass politicians have the guts to take it where it needs to go.

Anyway what is the big mystery anyway... everyone in Hawaii goes to Disney Land once a year anyway.... the Monrail there is fast, QUIET, and cool looking. If we had something like that.... with surf racks on it..... start building it tomorrow.

Comment

Re: Manao Rail System

I heard about this the first time about a month ago, as my wife was there for a transit conference. We have light rail here and it rocks. So much nicer than a bus. Nearness to the new line that just went in was one of the reasons we bought our current house. Between that and biking we fill up our car tanks about once a month now, which sure is nice with the prices the way they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
            I heard about this the first time about a month ago, as my wife was there for a transit conference. We have light rail here and it rocks. So much nicer than a bus. Nearness to the new line that just went in was one of the reasons we bought our current house. Between that and biking we fill up our car tanks about once a month now, which sure is nice with the prices the way they are.
            Yes, I have to agree, MAX is a very nice system. It was planned out very well and appears to have been accepted by lots of locals (parking in downtown Portland sucks anyway! ). In Seattle, we had incompetents planning the expansion of the monorail within the City of Seattle, but our new intercity light rail system is almost ready to roll, after inconveniencing lots of people for over 3 years now. It'll probably be used by people who now sit on the freeways for hours trying to travel 30 miles to work.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Rail Transit

Several prior threads are available for background. See also:

Comment

Recently from Honolulu Traffic.com's website:

July 20, 2006.

Neighborhood Boards can take action on rail:

Neighborhood Board members are beginning to take notice of the negative impacts that rail transit will have on their communities both from being a financial drain and a producer of visual and noise blight. To help in this effort we have posted, with Senator Fred Hemmings' help, a proforma resolution below that could be adopted by any Neighborhood Board.

Waikiki Neighborhood Board turns down rail:

Last week's meeting of the Waikiki Neighborhood turned down rail in Waikiki with a vote of 15-1.

July 19, 2006.

Parsons Brinckerhoff concedes $4 billion + for rail:

During a presentation today to the annual Kailua Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Parsons Brinckerhoff's Lawrence Spurgeon said that the earlier $3 billion projection for rail transit given last month did not include a number of items such as trains and rights-of-way. He said that by the time all the costs were included the final price would be in excess of $4 billion.

He also revealed that they had a preliminary estimate of $1 billion for a 13-mile, two-lane HOT lanes (aka Managed Lanes) alternative, or $38 million per lane-mile. While that is a dramatic reduction from earlier city estimates of $100 million per lane-mile it is still far in excess of the $15 million per lane-mile that Tampa has cost.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Yes, I have to agree, MAX is a very nice system. It was planned out very well and appears to have been accepted by lots of locals (parking in downtown Portland sucks anyway! ).
                  Actually many locals fought against it tooth and nail, and some still do when a new line is getting ready to go in. Give it a few months, and people almost always turn around and talk about how great it is.

Even my parents are starting to come around. They were always happy there was no public transit in their suburb of Dallas because "it keeps the undesirables from living there". Now when we come visit we can get about 70% of the way from the airport to their house (a good hour trip each way!) on rail and they still have to come pick us up from about 20 minutes away.

Comment

latest transit price tag

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS09/610310344

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/31/news/story01.html

Does this change people's position on for or against the rail?

Comment

I am opposed to rail in Honolulu. I think the money could be better spent fixing the current bottlenecks, which are H-1 at Middle St. and H-1/Moanalua Frwy at Aloha stadium.

To address the Middle St. bottleneck, we can convert Dillingham Blvd and part of Vineyard Blvd into an expressway. That would create an entirely new expressway from the H-1 Vineyard off-ramp to the H-1 airport viaduct.

Second, to address the Aloha stadium bottleneck, we need a new expressway running from the Ewa end of the H-1 viaduct that would go under or over Pearl Harbor to Ewa Beach and then on to Kapolei.

These projects are doable for 4 billion dollars, and will serve alot more people than a rail system that will serve only a minority population of Oahu.

New expressways will benefit the extreme majority of citizens who choose to own a car and prefer to own a car. Not to mention our tourists who rent a car to see the sites and go to the beach. It will also benefit mass transit riders since TheBus can use the new less congestred roads. Also, new highways will benfit commerce and industry where rail will do nothing for them.

I think Mufi is blinded by the "roads and cars are evil" mindset.
                      Last edited by mapen; October 31, 2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Re: Light rail/ Busway in Honolulu?

I'm scared what will happen when people do become dependant on the Proposed system... and then the thing goes down for a week or so?

Anyone know how many "Trams" will be going each way at a time?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          And that is one good thing you folks did in Seattle. You have referndum to put this kind of stuff to a public vote. We don't. We should. Something this big should never be left only to the politicians. The people should vote on whether or not we want to fund and build a rail with our tax dollar.

Let Honolulu Vote
                          I know that there is a part of Underground railsystem that takes you to Sea-Tac Airport from a few points in Seattle...and that is pretty cool!
                          You get a link Miulang or Leo?

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                            I think the money could be better spent fixing the current bottlenecks, which are H-1 at Middle St. and H-1/Moanalua Frwy at Aloha stadium.
                            I think a good way to address that is to close Moanalua Frwy. Yes, I'm serious. It's the merging of Moanalua Frwy with H-1 that creates the bottleneck. Merging is a serious problem. I would propose closing H-1, but I don't think that would work, so I'm suggesting Moanalua instead. Of course you need to widen H-1 so it's at least 3 lanes all the way.

The next step is to improve the off ramps so they can take what the freeway delivers.

Comment

If you are opposed to the rail project and the increased taxes (set to kick in a mere 61 days), go to HonoluluTraffic.com. Read the information and sign up as a supporter for "no rail."

Or simply email your name to join@honolulutraffic.com

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                                I think Mufi is blinded by the "roads and cars are evil" mindset.
                                Take a look at Europe -- covered in rail. Most people I know love going to Europe because they don't have to rent a car. More cars and more roads *are* evil in a lot of ways.

On the other hand... .5% GET increase. Yowza. That's one heck of an expensive project they're proposing.

Comment

Working...
                                X