This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

If it was about letting the people decide, the petition would have called for a vote on all options, not just a vote banning rail. Don't let special interests goad the public with irrational fear to get what they want.

Comment

Rail will not reduce traffic. Even Mufi said rail will not reduce traffic.

What will reduce traffic is expanded highways. Look how H-3 solved the traffic problem on Pali and Likelike highways.

Instead of rail, which will NOT solve the traffic problem, build a bridge across Pearl Harbor to the Ewa Plain. Or build a tunnel.

Instead of rail, double deck Nimitz. It will be less ugly than rail.

Those two ideas alone will solve more traffic problems than rail ever will, and give the people what they want. Way over 90% of the people want to drive their car, not ride mass transit.

If you're going to spend billions of dollars, spend it to give the people what they want: the freedom to drive their car on a less congested highway.

Also, there is apparently a huge group of dumb people who drive and still support rail because they think everybody else is going to ride rail and open up the highway for them. Haha, dream on. In citys where rail has been built, it did not reduce the amount of cars on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        the more i hear anti-railers speak, the more it becomes clear to me that they're a selfish lot,
        Then you are very confused.

Selfish is epitomized by rail supporters. Even though transit ridership is way less than 10% of the population, these people want to force the 90%+ of non-transit riders to pay for and subsidize their train, to the tune of $20,000+ per family.

Rail will not pay for itself even after it is built. Transit riders are selfish because they don't want to pay the $10+ per ride it will actually cost to ride the train. They want all the people of Oahu to pay higher taxes so they can ride the train for about $5 per ride.

How's that for selfish?

Trains cost alot of money to maintain (it will run on oil (electricity is made from Oil), and as the price of Oil goes up, so too will the price of running the train.

Car owners, on the other high, don't expect handouts from taxpayers and pay their own registration, insurance, gas, and maintenance. HOw's that for unselfish?

Comment

Hell, I bet rail supporters are even more selfish than I said in my previous message.

Transit riders are like welfare recipients, they want more for nothing. Even though it will probably cost the city $10+ per ride to operate the rail, riders will expect and demand to pay less than $2 per ride in the form of some kind of $50 unlimited monthly pass. And the handicapped and seniors will pay less. They will expect the hard working tax payers of Oahu to pay the rest of their costs to ride the rail. And they will ride the rail with their smug little feelings thinking they are better than the car owners who are paying for their ride.

How's that for selfish?

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
            Trains cost alot of money to maintain (it will run on oil (electricity is made from Oil), and as the price of Oil goes up, so too will the price of running the train.
            But a electrical powered train can have it's electricity generated by other sources like solar, wind, ocean thermal, geothermal, garbage burning, coal burning or oil burning.

Comment

Transit riders are like welfare recipients, they want more for nothing.
              So what you want to do away with TheBus as well?

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to mapen.i disagree that like in the mainland,bart work's well and my eldest sister said that a rail system would work here and not elevated highway's or to build another highway such as h3 or other thing's of this sort,i believe in my heart that rail would work from one part of the island to town and ala moana and so on and i hope stop rail now fail's and not put the rail on the ballot and i wouldnt sign their petition.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  But a electrical powered train can have it's electricity generated by other sources like solar, wind, ocean thermal, geothermal, garbage burning, coal burning or oil burning.
                  Those "green" sources can only generate a small portion of the total energy needs of Hawaii. As for coal, I don't think we are doing that here.
                  Originally posted by helen View Post
                  So what you want to do away with TheBus as well?
                  No, I want people to appreciate that car owners are paying for much more of their own costs for their transportation, and transit riders are being heavily subsidized by society and taxpayers.

In other words, don't hate the responsible car owners who are paying their way, and understand that bus riders and transit riders are not entirely paying their way.
                  Last edited by mapen; June 20, 2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                    hi this is sansei and in response to mapen.i disagree that like in the mainland,bart work's well and my eldest sister said that a rail system would work here and not elevated highway's or to build another highway such as h3 or other thing's of this sort,i believe in my heart that rail would work from one part of the island to town and ala moana and so on and i hope stop rail now fail's and not put the rail on the ballot and i wouldnt sign their petition.

BART serves a very large population with tens of millions of people paying for it. And it still cost $10 for a round trip. And that doesn't even reflect the total cost to operate BART. The taxpayers have to pay even more than $10 per ride. It's like welfare.

Honolulu is less than a million people. With fewer people to pay for it, it is going to cost each rider ALOT MORE MONEY, more than you think.

YOu can't compare Honolulu with San Francisco Bay Area.

Unfortunately, many people don't understand this, and are going to force Honolulu to PAY DEARLY for a huge sucking money blackhole.
                    Last edited by mapen; June 20, 2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Those "green" sources can only generate a small portion of the total energy needs of Hawaii. As for coal, I don't think we are doing that here.
                      Or you could use an alternative source that perpetual mayoral candidate Daniel Cunningham reminds us we generate all the energy you need: nuclear! Just plug in to the Pearl Harbor grid!!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to mapen,.it's true that san francisco has many people who use's bart only in here, a rail would do fine if you or other's wouldnt wish for trafficgridlock while sitting in their car's and on buse's and this could work since my sister say's it would and i agree with our mayor that it would work and only in my neighborhood,we'd need the buses since a rail wouldnt work in our part's so i thought to share this with you and everyone.

Comment

Rail is going to become the most expensive, biggest, ugliest welfare project in the state. It is going to suck up vast amounts of tax money to pay for oil to make electricity, to pay for maintenance, security, corruption, and the $45/hr striking union workers.
                          Last edited by mapen; June 20, 2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                            you or other's wouldnt wish for trafficgridlock while sitting in their car's and on buse's
                            You don't get it.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i had just e-mailed the mayor's office and the office responded even though they cant respond to e-mail's,they'll pass along my thought's to the correct office and they'll share my thought's with the correct office on rail and the mayor's office thanked me for sharing my good thought's on rail.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                Or you could use an alternative source that perpetual mayoral candidate Daniel Cunningham reminds us we generate all the energy you need: nuclear! Just plug in to the Pearl Harbor grid!!
                                I would support a nukular power plant in Hawaii. We won't be dependent on oil and our electricity bills will be cut in half.

Comment

Working...
                                X