Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starbulletin Boo Boo's

Default Starbulletin Boo Boo's

I figure since there is a thread on the advertisers... we my as well have one on the Bulletins.

I don't know if I would necessarily classify this as a boo boo...

However, the online edition of today's paper showed a picture of my wifes cousin surfing at the China Classic yesterday on the "Online Front cover".... when I went down to pick up a printed copy... had some other dude on the cover and my wifes cousin on the inside.

No matter to me... he never placed... but it is interesting how the online version of the papers differ from the print versions....

www.starbulletin.com

(his picture was still on the online version as of 7:00 tonight)

Default Re: Starbulletin Boo Boo's

Hey Manoa ... we used to post the front page of the paper online... but then came a redesign.

I don't remember the rationale for not always posting the A-1 "art" (as we call it) as the primary online photo ... but perhaps the bestest, most awesomest newspaper Webmaster in the world, Blaine Fergerstrom, will weigh in. That decision might have come whilst Blaine was at Kamehameha Schools, during which time Ken Andrade (now Biz Ed) was Webmaster ... and Ken's on vacation.

Geez. What a long way to say, "I dunno."
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Damien's Kealoha Pilares, the Star-Bulletin's state Offensive Player of the Year last fall, will officially join the University of Hawaii football team in the spring 2007 semester, Pilares said after a meeting with UIH coaches today.
    Where is UIH?

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4730

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    I'm a bluejelly fish that could care less about my typos!
    Blue jellyfish...couldN'T care less...
    You're too busy worrying about other people's typos, as why!

manoa is stating he cares about typos.

If everyone getting on me about typos... I my as well get on something that you'd expect to have correct!

I don't have a Paid Copy Editor

proper noun, no doubt.
    @

Am I reading things twice on line?

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/09/news/story02.html

or did someone just double click on the submit story button?

Am I reading things twice on line?

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/09/news/story02.html

or did someone just double click on the submit story button?
    I e-mailed the Web guys for a fix. Thanks for letting us know, Manoa!

I e-mailed the Web guys for a fix.
    I guess they don't check their email as often as some of us do...

It's still a double post an hour and a half later

Quote Originally Posted by MadAzza

I e-mailed the Web guys for a fix.
    Now we just need to wait for Blaine to wake up and go to work.

Desecrated grave spurs investigation
    Man arrested in theft of construction tools
    So they can post updates... but can't update old stuff... funny

So they can post updates... but can't update old stuff... funny
    Dude, don't you get it yet? It's all a conspiracy. They haven't updated that story yet because they know that YOU are waiting around with baited breath for them to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAzza
    I e-mailed the Web guys for a fix. Thanks for letting us know, Manoa!
    How nice. Hey... wait a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    How nice. Hey... wait a minute...
    Yeah, I wondered exactly the same thing, Ryan. First a complaint that an item was posted here and not sent directly to the paper (which it actually was), and now a thanks for sending one here so they can notify the paper.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I think maddie was having one of her days... If I remember that initial exchange... she was more p.o.ed and that someone was addressing her personally...

I never addressed mine with any... "can someone please pass this along" tag...

I just addressed the issue...and have laughed about it.

I could really care less if it gets fixed or not! I'm just a reader that likes to poke fun at others mistakes... BECAUSE I MAKE SO MANY MYSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui
    Yeah, I wondered exactly the same thing, Ryan. First a complaint that an item was posted here and not sent directly to the paper (which it actually was), and now a thanks for sending one here so they can notify the paper.
    It was not a "complaint that an item was posted here." Please don't try to make me sound like a b**** in this case. There are other times when it is fair to so accuse me; this was not one of them.

My post was a suggestion that rather than expecting a Star-Bulletin employee to pass along a message to MidWeek, you do it yourself. Let me emphasize this: I don't work at MidWeek. If you will read what I actually wrote in that other post, perhaps you will see what I was trying to say, rather than getting offended and taking it personally.

These are two different situations. How can anyone think they are the same? If there is some kind of error or problem with starbulletin.com, I'm happy to pass it along. I work at the Star-Bulletin.

(Apparently it's not fixed yet anyway!)

If I can't post even a helpful suggestion without people taking it out of context and getting pissed off at me, then I don't know what to do. Give up, I guess. But I've tried quitting HT, and I keep getting called back by its siren song.

Oh, and LikaNui? I'm having a problem with my checking account statement. Please notify Bank of Hawaii for me. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by lurkah
    Now we just need to wait for Blaine to wake up and go to work.
    That will be a while. Our tiny Web staff works late at night.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

That will be a while. Our tiny Web staff works late at night.

Mad rocks?

Mad's mad!

Er, sorry. Was just poking a little fun. Surely the scenarios are quite different, but the similarities were also too tempting to not point out.

Interesting that the SB web team is a PM operation. That breaking news can be posted in the morning, then, must mean an automated system of some kind... and that fixing static published pages requires some hands-on TLC. But what skilled and talented hands those are.

Yeah... just checked... and I really didn't care!

However, it is now fixed. Mr. Burlingham... I'm wondering if you guys need to hire on some more staff to Cover updated things.

Honestly... that is one of the reasons why I check the Advertisers site first... is they seem to have more frequent updates throughout the day...

And as we have just seen today... Things can happen during the day...and/or maybe you should pay Blaine more for the hardwork he does and the Cr@p he takes when other people should have had it correct before it even got to him.

Cheers though! It was entertaining! And I'm sure the majority of your online readers have long read todays news and are now at home for the day doing other things....

(might I add though... you do have an excellent staff!)

Manoa, if you don't even know how much someone makes, how do you know he/she "deserves" more?

You are making a whole bunch of weird assumptions in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Mad's mad!

Er, sorry. Was just poking a little fun. Surely the scenarios are quite different, but the similarities were also too tempting to not point out.

Interesting that the SB web team is a PM operation. That breaking news can be posted in the morning, then, must mean an automated system of some kind...
    The city editors can and do post breaking news items. It's not "automated."

And I'm not mad, dammit!!!

I was kidding in a way...and I think all you guys deserve raises no matter how much you make.

I find it odd that the people above me don't really know what I do and get paid twice as much as me.

As technology moves along...the older generation is not able to use the tools that us youngsters are able to use sometimes.... however, do to their time in the State...they have earned their respective pay! However, it's still unfair in the amount of work some of us are able to produce compared to others. For instance I was asked to produce a quarterly powerpoint presentation... took me about a half hour.... Many of my co-workers who are state workers took nearly all day for a few days just to learn power point!

Then when it came down to the presentations... everyone was like damn dude... yours was the best.... and I spent practically 1/100th of STATE TAXPAYERS money to produce it!

I don't care what the salaries are of employees at your paper make.... heck your probably all making more than me!!! However, I do feel that many employees are very underpaid and deservant of pay raises.

Not just at your paper... Pretty much in general everywhere!!!

As far as making assumptions...correct... I know nothing about your guys flowcharts and who reports to whom... nor do I care, I just think you guys all deserve pay raises.... Ok... not all of you guys... the ones that I have personally gotten to know.

I think you guys are a brilliant bunch of people and I'm sure you guys have a kick at the office! Doesn't mean I can't think you guys don't deserve raises though!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast