Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaii wildlife (or, "But it was so cute!")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii wildlife (or, "But it was so cute!")

I got in late last night after going to see the most excellent local band Resistor at Gordon Biersch, then back to the newsroom to try to get some work done (ha, ha!). Well, I can *try*. Said howdy to Blaine, then headed for home after going through a few e-mails.

Got home at maybe 2 a.m. Pulled the car into the garage, got out and walked toward the door to hit the "close garage door" button. The door started rolling down, and I stood there watching it close, and when it got about a foot from being closed, a little gray figure came scuttling toward the door, really hauling ass. I could almost hear his squeaky little voice yelling, "Don't close it! I'm not in yet!"

Cute little mousey ran almost over my slippah'd feet, under the weight bench and disappeared in the space between my Harleys. Hope he didn't get his feet oily — one of the bikes likes to mark its territory.

I knew I had mice, I've seen them before in the garage, but I don't really worry about it too much. I just thought it was cute, the way it was obviously trapped outside and waiting for me to open the garage door so it could get back inside. Probably has a nest full of babies -- uh-oh. Wish I hadn't thought of that.

This thread is for encounters with mammalian Hawaii wildlife, big and small.

Re: Hawaii wildlife (or, "But it was so cute!&quot

you know what they say, Maddie...you might see one but how many more lurk in the shadows?
    My outside kitties, devoted to me so much more than the indoor scratch-n-hiss hairball hurler inside, are constantly killing rats and mice (and unfortunately, reptiles), outside, leaving me the carcasses mostly intact. I've seen Kitty Girl chomp down on them, too, so I'm certain I'm only seeing a percentage of their work. Neither of she nore Comet her brother pay much attention to the ratbirds who crap all over the open garage or congregate in their food bowls. I open the door and they take off like we're on the set of Hitchcock. I tell them, "KILL THE BIRDS! KILL THE BIRDS!" They just look at me and meow.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

On my way to work on Thursday morning after getting off TheBus and picking up breakfast from a mini-mart, I came across a group of 4 to 5 cats trying to pounce on a group of birds that was on the sidewalk.

I suppose my presence spook the birds which flew off, denying the cats their breakfast. I think I got the stink eyes stares from the cats as I walked past them.

Comment

Saw this guy back in January. He or his cousins are still around the yard, too; I saw one strolling across my back deck a few days ago, and they appear to hide under our hedge (or travel through it, at least) fairly often.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I see a mongoose daily when I'm home. I should give him/her a name but I'm too lazy! And, we have the occasional rodents; some more brazen than others. Geckos, of course, are common. Then there are the peacocks in Makaha Valley! I haven't seen a centipede or scorpion along the Waianae Coast yet but I did import the latter via my car several years ago. Didn't see it 'til I was unloading the groceries! And it was huge!

Comment

I was up near the North Shore blazing a trail through the tropical scrub. All of a sudden I heard a crash next to me as one of the palms toppled over. On the otherside of it was an ape-like critter, about 6' tall, gesturing as if he wanted to scuffle. I dropped my pack and we proceeded to engage in fisticuffs. Hair, saliva, and blood flew every which way. After I was satisfied the mongrel was dead I dragged it to the beach and set it adrift. It wasn't until later that I learned I had slain a rampant bigfoot that had been caught in Canada and was loaded onto a freighter for transport to Japan, which stopped off for refueling in Hawai'i. The ape manage to break his bonds, dispatch the crew swiftly, and and then take off into the heart of O'ahu's rainforest...

True Story
            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
            "But I can't even read good."
            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              This thread is for encounters with mammalian Hawaii wildlife, big and small.
              Oh geez whiz, more about Diane Ako's big... oh wait. Mammalian. Not mammarian.
              Never mind.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You will continue to think that mouse is cute, til the day you find your food half eaten and pooped on. They have babies every 16 days. They chew electrical wire. They get into major appliances and use them for maternity wards. Their shishi stinks and stains.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                  You will continue to think that mouse is cute, til the day you find your food half eaten and pooped on. They have babies every 16 days. They chew electrical wire. They get into major appliances and use them for maternity wards. Their shishi stinks and stains.
                  Um ... no. I'm not ignorant, but thanks for assuming! I used to breed mice for pet stores. They don't have litters every 16 days, although I suppose it might seem like it if you really don't want them around. Or if you live in France, where the mice are, perhaps, as notoriously amorous as the people. And at least they take care of their babies, not like a lot of people who dump their precious offspring off on strangers (aka "day care," "child care providers" and other euphemisms). Although I did have to feed one litter of the tiny, hairless, pink babies with an eyedropper when my ground squirrel got into the cage and killed the mother and several babies from a new litter one night while I was asleep. So I have a soft spot for mice. And rats. And even ground squirrels. And boa constrictors, which, perhaps ironically, or maybe hypocritically, I had to feed live mice to. No wonder I'm so screwed up — I had conflicting pets!

I don't have mice in my home, just the garage. My cat is in my home; my cat is not in the garage. (There's a Dr. Seuss rhyme in there somewhere.) They've been there since the place was built, right before I moved in. There is no electrical wire for them to chew, and even if there were, they seem to be perfectly happy chewing on my excess dining furniture instead. They shit all over the place and I couldn't care less. All in all, they bother me less than a lot of humans do.

I'll take mice over centipedes or wasps any day! Not that I have a choice.

Comment

Now Zza,

When you said bred 'em for a pet store do you mean for people to purchase as actual pets, or do you mean snake,spider/scorpion food? Just curious.
                    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                    "But I can't even read good."
                    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X