Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update on Shari Oelrich

Originally posted by cherla42 View Post
    At least I have a few months to emotionally prepare myself before going face to face with one of the "monsters" who tortured this beautiful little girl for 6 months.
    He may not show it, but deep down, I hope he now fears facing you. That's how it should be, since you've proven to be the stronger one.

Comment

Re: Update on Shari Rodriguez

Thanks Leo & Tutu....support gives me strength in the things I still must still face and also makes me a stronger "MOM" for Shari!

I don't know how to put a picture on here...would love to share Shari's new pre-school pic. I can e-mail it to anyone who knows the ropes

Comment

Here you go!shri.doc
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

MAHALO Muilang for posting Shari's pic

Comment

I second, third and 4th THAT!!!
            Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Great Big Mahalo to Tutu Sue. Miss Shari got a "special" Christmas package from her. She was so excited! Wonderful books, videos, even a Christmas mug! God Bless you Tutu Sue for thinking of Shari.

I had to take Shari to the doctor yesterday. She has been having headaches for the last month....more and more frequent. He is fairly sure she is having migrain headaches. I have to admit the addition of yet another medical condition yesterday for the first time had me saying "Why Lord". It was a short lived feeling and completely left my mind when I looked at Shari's beautiful smile. She is God's child and I am so Blessed that he has placed this beautiful Little Miracle in my care. I must never forget that. Extra prayers would be wonderful!

God Bless & Mele Kalikimaka To All,
              Cheryl & Shari

Comment

Hi Cheryl... how's Shari doing?

I hope she's doing well!

Comment

Aloha! It has been a long winter break from school for Shari. She got the flu and I had to take her to the ER. Doc's also wanted anti-seizure medication doses upped. It has taken 6 weeks for her to adjust but HAPPY to report she has finally adjusted to meds and just has a small cough left. She also has right side weakness when she is ill due to the paralysis on her right side. There is a definate deficet when she tries to use her right side vision and hand to do anything. It's like her brain just can't connect there. Her migraine headaches seem to have gone with the increase of meds. Thank God! Mentally she is amazing considering the amount of brain damage. We are working on letter sounds and she is able to sound out most three letter words. We are also working on number recognition 11 through 20. I work alot with her at home and she has wonderful "special education" teachers. We are flying back to Oahu to see her neurologist and opthamalogist in Feb. Due to the multiple injuries Shari suffered and the risks that go with those injuries life can be a bit more complicated but be assured that at the end of each day we count our Blessings not Obstacles.

There were only two people who senselessly beat this precious little life BUT there are thousands of people who care about Shari and have helped with her recovery, whether it be hands on with her or a prayer for her from far away. Each one of those people are "Our Hero's". Thank's Hawaii Threads for being a "Hero" for Shari!

God Bless & Much ALOHA,
                  Cheryl & Shari
                  PS: Will be sending a few Christmas and Birthday Pics soon

Comment

Cheryl...talk to Shari's neurologist about the possibility of putting her on Clobazam:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/58108.php

http://www.epilepsy.com/medications/i_clobazam_intro

My oldest girl (14 yrs) has 'intractable epilepsy', has had brain surgery and even with the meds still had aura and seizure activity...and was working back up to the tonic colonics (grand mals). Her doc, Harry Chugani, put her on 5mg of clobazam and they've totally stopped even to the auras. She hasn't had a seizure since 11-27-07 so so far so good.

If you want contact information for Shari's doc to get more info, PM me.
                    Last edited by Peshkwe; January 9, 2008, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Ooops..just re-read...the 5mg should be 10mg per day. She gets two doses of 5mg one am and one pm.

Comment

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/3465/40/

I don't know if you have heard the news from Oahu. Little Cyrus Belt was to turn 2 years old on Feb 7th. He was thrown from a freeway overpass and killed by his mothers neighbor this week. The first common denominator between Shari and Cyrus? Yesterday Lillian Koller from Hawaii DHS released 180+ pages of documents reguarding his mother complete with calls of neglect and abuse. Alot of what I read was exactly what Shari had been through. Hours before Cyrus died a police officer found him unattended outside and returned him to mothers boyfriend. That officer notified CPS of the incident. Apparently after that he was left with his sleeping Grandfather and somehow the "ice head" neighbor got a hold of him.

Through this almost two year journey since Shari's near death I have been around many medical professionals and many educational professionals. They all say the same thing. Reports of abuse are made...the child is taken for a short period and then placed right back in the abusive home.

For a long time I thought what needed to change was the reporting method between authorities. Now, with Cyrus' death, it is completely apparent that reporting abuse to CPS has little to no consequences for most parents. What the CPS records do show is the child neglect and abuse on their part by throwing these innocent and defenceless children right back in the "lion's cage" while they glance every so often into that cage and take notes!

My quest begins!

Comment

[...]I don't know if you have heard the news from Oahu. Little Cyrus Belt was to turn 2 years old on Feb 7th.[...]
                          Cheryl...we're discussing the Cyrus Belt case HERE. I'm sure you can contribute a lot to that thread. However, it must bring back such painful memories for you. I look forward to your contributions.

Comment

I can't believe that this coming Saturday will be 2 years since Shari was nearly beaten to death. I can vividly recall standing next to her PICU bed just hours after she arrived at Kapiolani Hospital begging God to let her live. I promised to take care of her know matter how she came out of this medically or mentally. Watching her go from blind and with only grunts to communicate to the active, happy, loving, little chatter box she is today has been no less than a miracle. She is completely aware that her right hand doesn't function as her left but given her own time and space ( and encouragement) she finds her own unique ways to adapt the right hand to most circumstances. The area of her brain that suffered the worst damage should have limited her ability to comprehend alphabet letters and reading ability. She has not only mastered her alphabet she also knows the sounds of each letter. She is now starting to sound out 3 letter words and is very close to writing her name without guidance. Her medical issues are always a concern and will be the rest of her life. We deal with them...we don't dwell on them. She weighed in today at a whopping 30.8 lbs. It is awesome to watch her continue to climb on the growth chart.

My oldest daughter and I were scheduled to go to Oahu to testify before the parole board to give Frankie the full 20 years without the possibility of parole on March 7th but it was canceled until May. There is nothing on this earth that can convince me that this "monster" did not commit murder on Shari. So many parts of her body and brain have been murdered and will never function again.

To end on a happy note...the whale count for Maui is over 1,700 whales this year. Shari and I love to go down to the beach at sunset and watch them. Last Saturday we went out on a "whale watch" boat. Shari really enjoyed seeing the whales and we were lucky enough to watch a mother and her calf breaching together. She is very into whales now and is constantly looking for them as we drive by the coast. How Blessed we are to live in paradise!

God Bless,
                            Cheryl & Shari

I will try to post the pic of us on the boat

Comment

[...]Watching her go from blind and with only grunts to communicate to the active, happy, loving, little chatter box she is today has been no less than a miracle. [...]
                              Hmmm...I see another miracle. That is, there was a loving tutu standing by to do what it takes to help heal a moopuna...a tutu who put her life on hold. And, not only heal, but adopt.

Just my 2¢.

Comment

After waiting since October to go before the parole board (and face to face with Frankie) I just found out that he has already been transfered from Oahu to a prison in Arizona. The parole board hearing will now be sometime in June and Frankie will be there via TV. I am so disappointed.

Shari is doing well. She got her first bike with training wheels...I might take them off when she's 30 (lol). She has also learned how to swing on a swing set all by herself....she glows with pride as her little legs go in and out taking her a bit higher each time. She has brought up the abuse she endured again. She tells me at least once a month "mom don't let nobody take me away". It is amazingly sad how much she remembers. With no counseling available here on Maui I am flying by the seat of my pants during these talks. I am open and honest with her questions and assure her nobody will take her from me.

Hope all is well with or friends on Hawaii Threads!

God Bless,
                                Cheryl & Shari

Comment

Working...
                                X