Good spot for a first date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good spot for a first date?

Since I'm getting closer to adulthood (I'm a 26 yo male) everyday, it's time I got serious about dating. Where does one take a woman on a first date to dinner on Oahu? I don't want a place that's too cocky, cheap, extravagant, or straightforward for a first date. Suggestions?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Good spot for a first date?

Try Palomino. It's in Harbor Court (66 Queen Street). It can be expensive but they have a reasonable happy hour (half off pupu menu, really good beverages) and they occasionally have specials. The last one I saw was $20 per person for a 3 course meal.

Comment

How about an extra special late night picnic while watching the submarine races from the Diamond Head lookout?

Meeeeeeemoooooooories!

Comment

(I'm a 26 yo male) everyday, it's time I got serious about dating
        I'd say it's about time...

Go VEGAS! BUFFET's!!! all out... spend the big bucks.... if you get em

Really impress... if your flying from Kauai... take the extra flight...go vegas...

Otherwise... Makino Chai!
        Last edited by damontucker; August 1, 2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Here are a few suggestions. And before anyones asks....Yes I have been to all these places on first dates

1) Nick's Fishmarket is a nice romantic restaurant. Maybe kinda expensive though but it is awesome! 2) The Cheesecake Factory is also a great place for a first date. Dinner is really good but you don't necessarily have to have dinner there, you could do drinks and pupus then stroll around Waikiki or the beach. 3) Dave and Buster's is another possibility. Again you could do just drinks and pupus and then challenge each other at some games. That is always fun! Good luck!!!

Comment

I went to bed thinking about this thread. I still thinking. Hmmmmm...so hard wen one is old. I forget wea I went on First Dates! Been too long. Whatever you do...no take um to Zippy's! And no eat her Steak!!!!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Man. It's been ages since I've dated... if I ever dated at all! (My wife had to inform me, after we'd been going out for a while, that those were, in fact, dates.) Back then, it was Ken's House of Pancakes with a group, Restaurant Miwa for just the two of us, and a (likely bad) movie at Waiakea Plaza.

I'll agree with Shan-n that Nick's Fishmarket is expensive (probably too strong a statement for a first outing)... Cheesecake Factory and Dave & Busters are also good, if you're looking for the disarming cover of crowds and noise. Lord knows it might be a bit early to have a candle-lit corner booth, you know?

Where are the "cool" places these days? In the "restaurants near other attractions" category? Irifune (classic)? Shokudo (modern)? Is the revamped Hanohano Room all it was promised to be? The O Lounge (okay, no dinner, but pupus and drinks)? Is Indigo hip anymore?

These days, when we get a "date night," it's almost always Molly's Smokehouse, and sometimes Stuart Anderson's. Though with Kilinahe's birthday coming up... I'm long overdue in introducing her to Sushi Sasabune.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                Go VEGAS! BUFFET's!!! all out... spend the big bucks.... if you get em
                Really impress... if your flying from Kauai... take the extra flight...go vegas...
                On a FIRST date?!? Methinks that would be a little overboard, and might send the wrong signals (as in: "look how much I put out for this date, now it's your turn..."), or at the very least, may come across as too serious too soon, which further translates as "desparate."

If the Palomino's there is comparable to the one in Seattle (yeah, I know, CONUS to Hawai`i comparisons can be odious, but it's a chain, after all), that's a nice idea. A classy restaurant, but not too pretentious - conducive to good conversation, which should be a key part of a first date. I would guess Cheesecake Factory is not as good for that.

Remember - you owe us now, so you have to report back on where you end up going!

Comment

do a dinner cruise!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    do a dinner cruise!
                    No way! If the date isn't going well, then you're both stuck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                      What - no can swim? Unless the cruise is up the Ala Wai...

Comment

Also, as a practical matter, it really depends on the person you're dating and you as well. Is there anything either of you won't eat? Anything you guys really like? Are you casual people or get all dressed up and party people? Makes a difference to what would be the best place for any date would be

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                          just throw em ovaboard! No more evidence, no gotta drive em home, perfect!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            just throw em ovaboard! No more evidence, no gotta drive em home, perfect!
                            Hee-hee...I feel sorry for the people who post queries to HT and actually expect only SERIOUS answers!

Comment

If it's a first date then nothing has been established yet right? You may want to consider a luncheon first before treading into a dinner date which carries a ton of implied baggage, like is this date going to be romantic or is it a nice to meet you kind of primer. What are you going to do after dinner, then after that.

A lunch is informal and allows for a more casual, open date than a dinner date. In other words your natural self will more apparent and so will her's. Plus if the lunch goes off well, you got the entire day to spend to get to know each other better with less implications. Do the day things together like going to the beach, watching a matinee at the theater, go shopping, drive around the island.

If it was a first time dinner date, the type of restaurant will denote the demeanor of the night's expectations. As dessert is served and the bill is presented, your date will wonder what will happen next. Movie, clubbing? romantic walk along the beach, submarine races? If she's not into making a strong first appearance then she may back out early after dinner and there goes your chances and your wallet for a very expensive dinner that left you striking out.

A daylong adventure date will take you around the bases faster with more meaning. If it goes well...then heck go for dinner that night as a cap for the evening. She'll get to know you in more ways than a dinner.

A dinner date should always be reserved for either the second or third date. Start with lunch at a good place like Sam Choy's then let the day take off from there.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X