Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

The first time my husband met my 'ohana was in Vegas (I know, how shocking). Anyway, my tutu was telling my Uncle to go get pupu so we could all sit in the hotel room and talk story. Uncle said, "You wan tree kine pupu yeah?"

He then noticed my husband's very confused face, started to laugh and said, "You think we go eat pupu li dog poopoo?" My husband laughed and said, "I'm just one confused haoleboy, you got to explain things to me." Da 'ohana uses haoleboy as a term of endearment and he likes his title. I felt bad that I had forgot to tell him what pupus were. Later he said he noticed that most of us said tree for the number three. He loves local kine accents.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Not quite pidgin, but I've often heard it said that folks in Hilo are the only folks in Hawaii who say "shave ice" is "ice shave."

I love the "like grind?" story. No doubt "like beef?" and "eh, brah" have had similarly hilarious (and occasionally painful) results.

There's an area in Waipahu -- near where my family's Buddhist temple is located -- where all the streets begin with "Pupu" -- Pupukahi, Pupuole, Pupupuhi. It's a... colorful neighborhood (or should I say 'hood?) known as "the pups" (pronounced "poops"). I've joked that by that standard, the Salt Lake/Moanalua area sould be called "the alas." As in, "kicked in the."

Comment

"sup cuz" = hi friend
        "batree" = battery, I still trip when i hear my uncle say that.
        all time fave is... "volocano" lol

Comment

I love hearing newscasters pronounce it
          "schtreet"

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
            all time fave is... "volocano" lol
            Haha, that is how my dad pronounces it.

Comment

You're right on with "VOLOCANO!"

Another is, "You get FILLUM in dat camera?"

How about the term 'USEDTATO?"

An impromptu, unorganized convoy of cars going down the main street of rural plantation communities with tin cans tied to the back bumpers was sometimes referred to as a "JUCK-A-LUCKA PARADE." Usually pulled off by bored high school students with nothing to do on a lazy weekend afternoon.

JUNKEN-PO

Big Island-style:

Junken-a-po
              Ai kana show (I cannot show)
              Po ...... Show [continue till winner is determined]

Maui-style:

Junken-a-munken-a
              Sucka sucka po
              Wailuku, Wailuku
              Bum bum show

Comment

"Olopop" for "Popolo" (a person of African-American descent).
                isn't Olopop supposedly the word that Locals use when their are African American People around that might actually know the term "popolo"

in other words "olopop" is used as a way to disguise their own racist words...

ie; look that olopop over there....(Popolo spelled backwards)

Comment

nope.
                  popolo for all my years was descriptive and not derrogatory. had and have black friends and use popolo freely among all o us.

Comment

Kimo...

OLOPOP... not popolo

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      isn't Olopop supposedly the word that Locals use when their are African American People around that might actually know the term "popolo"

in other words "olopop" is used as a way to disguise their own racist words...

ie; look that olopop over there....(Popolo spelled backwards)
                      Either they're racist, or they're dyslexic!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

bibidees- Underwear

"I no like wash Jr's bibidees, he get skidmahks on um again!"

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                          Junken-a-po
                          This just reminded me of a cute story that recently happened to me...

I was up in Idaho on vacation and I saw an older couple walking towards me on the sidewalk. They came to a "Y" and the gentleman wished to take one fork while she wanted the other. They were actually talking rather heatedly over this quandry as I walked by. I interupted saying "You need to Junken-a-po." They both looked at me with blank stares, so I said it again. The lady said "Whatever!" And I just continued on my way.

It took me a moment to even realize how weird that must've sounded to them, while it was just normal speech to me. HaHa!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

We go HOLO HOLO!

Seems to be used more on the big island then Oahu.

Comment

Kaka Roach

aUNTIE pUpuLe
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                                I don't know if this is a Maui thing or just a mahu thing, but my girlfriend's mahu neighbor on Maui always says "nails", which means "lame" or "junk". "That girl, she's so nails." (said with heavy mahu accent). lol
                                Back in my hi scoo daze... nails went with - "Ai! Scratch her face! Naaaiiilsss..." Meaning - da girl so stuck-up pretty, go scratch her face and make'em ugly. It was always followed with a snap (or two or three, depending on how pretty) and the side-to-side neck bop thing (wat you call'em nowdays?) or a clawing type motion toward the girl.

I just dated myself, didn't I?

Anyway... very first time I heard it was from my TG friend looking at the cover of a Cher record album. OK - REALLY dating myself!

Olopop wasn't racist when my mom and dad said it, maybe today it is, but back in the day it was almost like baby-talk pigin, like... okolele for okole and beebadee for BVD.
                                MEMRI TV:Middle East Media Research Institute
                                Jihad Watch
                                Amil Imani's Website

Comment

Working...
                                X