Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Try wait... no can 'member?!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

there is no 'can' big enuff.

Comment

'Member dose beeg Foster's cans?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Man, this tread shmall-kine bring back mem'ries!!

Haven't heard it much last couple times I've been home, but we used "khadafi" for steal.
          "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            The "no" thing sounds more of a European construct than pidgin. I mean, you can hear it at the end of, "That's a big house, no?" But not so much, "Big da house, no?" Except when doing some kind of bizarre Russian-Japanese impression or something.

I can see, maybe, it being some weird adaptation of the "ka" suffix in Japanese, but I figure the more likely result would be "ne" not "no."

Sure, pidgin can be just about anything, and individual families probably have all kinds of weird quirks (which I suspect this is). But I'm pretty sure you won't find your "no" assertion in "Pidgin to da Max" or a Lee Tonouchi book.
            I've heard it amongst members of the AF's family, who've been five generations in Kane`ohe. One auntie used to say it all the time, which drove her high-school English-teacher brother crazy. Nikkejin, so maybe it is based on the "ka" suffix after all.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Erm. Are they Bulgarian mobsters? The "no" thing sounds more of a European construct than pidgin. I mean, you can hear it at the end of, "That's a big house, no?" But not so much, "Big da house, no?" Except when doing some kind of bizarre Russian-Japanese impression or something.

I can see, maybe, it being some weird adaptation of the "ka" suffix in Japanese, but I figure the more likely result would be "ne" not "no."

Sure, pidgin can be just about anything, and individual families probably have all kinds of weird quirks (which I suspect this is). But I'm pretty sure you won't find your "no" assertion in "Pidgin to da Max" or a Lee Tonouchi book.
              Could be a family style holdover if her Gran type relatives (great and/or great-greats) were some of the folks that went into the fur-trade back in the day, then went back home after the work faded.

'Na' (or more properly 'ina') at the end of a word or statement turns it into a yes/no answer type question. At that time the local Northwest Canada trader's pidgin was a mix of Ojibwe (Chippewa), Cree, French, English and Hawaiian...depending on which company and where the location was. The 'na?' could easily have morphed into 'no?' when it got brought back home.

Comment

If can can if no can...

Eh wassup braddah

Jus cruzin

Right on popcorn.

I've been hearing that exchange a lot nowdays in Hilo.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"No make li'dat" = Please stop doing/acting like that. Or simply: "No make" ...same thing

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                    "No make li'dat" = Please stop doing/acting like that. Or simply: "No make" ...same thing
                    correction...it's: No Ack

or when you make dakine drama's in public you say: Eh Toshiro no ack (as in Toshiro Mifune in Zatoichi the blind swordsman)

or when you see someone making drama's you exclaim: Ho boy bus out da Emmy.

Comment

• Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Same ting . Oh made me think of another one: "same same" = same thing or 'do these match?'

LOL I often say the emmy comment when I'm watching UH basketball at the Stanley when an opposing player acts like he got fouled and takes a huge flop.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

or when you make dakine drama's in public you say: Eh Toshiro no ack (as in Toshiro Mifune in Zatoichi the blind swordsman)

or when you see someone making drama's you exclaim: Ho boy bus out da Emmy.

Comment

I have to confess, I have picked up a word and a phrase or two from the AF & her family, which slips into my speech without trying --- I'll catch myself saying " 'kay den, all pau," for example. Pidgin is infectious, once it starts making sense to you - but I'm still not going to try to speak it intentionally. That way lies danger.

Comment

Correction...it's: Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi the blind swordsman. Asswhy hahd. Bumbye pau.

Comment

Toshiro Mifune never acted as Zatoichi. That was Shintaro Katsu.

Looks like Lurkah beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              Correction...it's: Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi the blind swordsman. Asswhy hahd. Bumbye pau.

Oh wow so who den is Toshiro Mifune?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                                Asswhy hahd. Bumbye pau.
                                *POOF!* He magically appears - he posts - he vanishes again *POOF!* The Amazing Lurkah, ladies and gents! Sorry if you missed him --- he's back to living up to his name.

Comment

Working...
                                X