Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
    The term "buyers' remorse" has been N/A for quite some time in this high-tech world. I'll be on the outside looking in while the pzarquons (and 1stwahines) of that world go on their buying sprees.
    Eh! Hello!! I went to p/u up DVDS from PZ this morning.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
      Comparing a MediaNet plan to a full data plan is not comparing apples to apples. Even the Blackberry plan is $30 for data.

Also with the 3G iPhones plans you can get your FAN discount, which you couldn't get with the 2G plans. if you work for the GOVT the disc is 25% off the total bill. Some 2G customer will actually be saving money by upgrading to the new 3G plans (since they didn't offer FAN discs on 2G plans)

Most major employers and schools have a FAN account, a lot of people don't realize it.
      You're fractionally correct. Comparing a MEdia Net plan to a BlackBerry/Smartphone/iPhone 3G et al. data plan is more like comparing apples to apple tarts -- same filling when you get to the core of it, one's just hussied up. Push e-mail, tethering, access to corporate e-mail ... I already have all of that thanks to 3rd-party software and plug-ins lovingly "baked" into my phone by yours truly. The only thing I'm missing out on is VPN access. But then only business data plan subscribers can get that anyway, and that's an added layer of fro$ting (an additional $15/mo for iPhone) on top of the consumer data plan.

No, I don't work for the government. Yes, I do get 20% off my monthly wireless bill. And yes, I personally know six co-workers with 2G iPhones who get the same, apparently non-FAN discount.

Personally, I think the 3G iPhone is great for what it is. But it isn't quite ready to replace my current phone. I can watch 500kb/s streaming video all day, send MMS messages to friends and call contacts by speaking their names. Guess which two things I can't do on an iPhone?
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Today brought the latest version of the iPhone, the iPhone 3GS. A faster processor, double the capacity, a 3MP camera with variable focus, video support, voice control, and a couple of long absent features: cut-and-paste and MMS. (There's tethering, too, but so far, A&T isn't playing.)

The pricing for new AT&T customers is good, too: $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB. The current 3G remains on the market, but the price drops to $99.

Because my iPhone is also my primary camera, and because I'm already creating (unsupported) video with my current iPhone, this is a pretty compelling upgrade. Still, the 3G is only a year old, so a lot of 3G owners won't be able to upgrade at the discounted prices above.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          The pricing for new AT&T customers is good, too: $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB. The current 3G remains on the market, but the price drops to $99.

Because my iPhone is also my primary camera, and because I'm already creating (unsupported) video with my current iPhone, this is a pretty compelling upgrade. Still, the 3G is only a year old, so a lot of 3G owners won't be able to upgrade at the discounted prices above.
          Basically, everybody comes out a winner with Apple's price slashing,...... EXCEPT for those who bought a 3G less than a year ago. Oh well, that's the price one pays for always wanting the latest-and-greatest top-of-the-line "whatever."

I think the $99 3G will be a big hit. I'm not so sure about 3G S. Even with the added bells-and-whistles, would current 3G customers who do not qualify for discounted pricing be willing to fork over $699 for video? Gotta wonder 'bout that.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Besides the new Apple iPhone 3Gs, the company also rolled out new MacBook Pro laptops. All of Apple's mainstream laptops are MacBook Pro's and all now include Firewire. The previous unibody MacBooks did not have Firewire which made a lot of people angry. I think Apple heard the people.

The low end $999 white MacBook is still available and had been speed bumped last month. It also has the more traditional Firewire 400 port. Except for the white MacBook the rest of the line has seemingly been discontinued.

The 15 inch MacBook Pro got updated with a brighter LCD screen, a 7-year built in battery (I'm not a fan of built in batteries, I rather change them if and when they die), an SD card slot, plus the usual stuff like Firewire 800, that new display port, 2 USB 2 ports, etc.

The 15 inch MacBook Pro starts at $1699 and go on up if you want to custom build one at the Apple website store.

The 13 inch Apple MacBook is now the unibody 13 inch Apple MacBook Pro. And people will be happy to know that it has Firewire now. The 17 inch top of the line MacBook Pro remains as is.

Apple also reduced the price on the Apple MacBook Air laptop to $1499.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The built-in SD card slots are a nice touch. Moving photos from my camera to my MacBook is one of the few activities that I need a USB adapter for.

Comment

I personally would've preferred the ExpressCard slot to the SD, but then again I also thought the whining over dropping FireWire in some models was a bit much. Everyone has different needs, priorities, and other devices, so... to each their own!

I admit, I'm glad I got what looks like will be the last Apple notebook with a removable battery, my 15" unibody MacBook Pro. The revision to the 17" was the first to get the permanent battery, and the new models announced yesterday are in the same boat. I totally can see how the permanent battery means longer battery life per charge, but like Mel I just like having the option of swapping batteries out if I have to. Not so much over a five-year span, but moreso if I need to go a full day without a charge. I like the option of having a spare on hand.

The fact that many of yesterday's announcements amount to substantial price cuts is worth emphasizing. In this economy, Apple has surprised many by doing relatively well despite its "premium" image. Nonetheless, it's good to see they're not ignoring the myth of the "Apple Tax." Putting the current iPhone 3G at $99 is a great move, as it's still a great device -- the iPhone 3GS is only evolutionary, not revolutionary. And hacking $300 or more off the price of laptops, which are their strongest sellers? Smart.

There is a lot of griping about how current iPhone 3G owners won't get the iPhone 3GS at its advertised discounted pricing, but I find the protests kinda ridiculous. We got the 3G at the price we got because the real cost was spread out over the two-year contracts that we agreed to. If we want to jump ship to the iPhone 3GS before our two years are up, we've gotta pay off at least part of what's still owed on the current device, or wait until our contracts are eligible (mine, fortunately, is next month). This is not new to anyone who's switched cell phones in the last six or seven years, but I guess it's new to Apple loyalists.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  There is a lot of griping about how current iPhone 3G owners won't get the iPhone 3GS at its advertised discounted pricing, but I find the protests kinda ridiculous. We got the 3G at the price we got because the real cost was spread out over the two-year contracts that we agreed to. If we want to jump ship to the iPhone 3GS before our two years are up, we've gotta pay off at least part of what's still owed on the current device, or wait until our contracts are eligible (mine, fortunately, is next month). This is not new to anyone who's switched cell phones in the last six or seven years, but I guess it's new to Apple loyalists.
                  I agree. also a lot of people are realizing that at 12-18 months you DO qualify for special upgrade pricing. No one has had a 3G 12 months yet, so a lot of people are confused on the new pricing.

Several people have already stepped through the upgrade website and it will show a date when they qualify for special pricing. i.e. one long time customer showed on July 17th, he would get the $199/$299 pricing.

But for those less than a year, there's really no justification for the whining. And some people say "well they let people upgrade to the 3G for discount pricing" yeah that's because the original 2G iPhone didn't have a subsidized price.

as for MBP's, i'm pretty happy with my 15" unibody. i updated it to 4gb ram and 320gb 7200rpm drive. but honestly I never take the battery out. i've never taken the battery out of any of my laptops (but they may be because it seems i get a new one about once a year ). that said I would REALLY love the new display. 60% larger color gamut! I bet i could ditch my 20" Cinema display and do all my photo editing on my laptop with accurate color. but i guess we'll have to see some reviews first. but i have a feeling i'll have my current 15" at least another 6 months or so...
                  website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                  blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                    I'll be on the outside looking in while the pzarquons (and 1stwahines) of that world go on their buying sprees.
                    I saw PZ on KITV Morning News today! He was standing in line this morning, waiting in line for the AT&T Kapiolani Blvd store to open. Mahealani Richardson did a quick interview with him about the iPhone 3GS.

Great interview, Ryan!
                    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Steve Jobs had a liver transplant.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=20041

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aLFLSWRd27ro

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_12653039
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The latest version of Apple's Macintosh operating system, OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is out today, a week ahead of schedule. It's a mostly under-the-hood upgrade, but for those in tune with the underlying architecture of computer systems, the improvements are not insignificant. "Snow Leopard" is faster, smaller (you get 7GB back after installing), and surprisingly cheap (a $29 upgrade).

David Pogue's New York Times review. Walt Mossberg's Wall Street Journal review. Andy Ihnatko's Chicago Sun-Times review. Engadget's review. Gizmodo's review.

Comment

I have a question for the more tech savy. Our home network is made of of an Intel iMac, and Intel Mac Book, my old Powerbook G4, and an Airport Extreme router. All have Leopard running and are working fine.

Is there any advantage to upgrading to Snow Leopard besides the extra disc space? I realize the Power Book will be left out (obsolete) this time...will that interfere with the network to have two OS in the mix?

Comment

That will depend if one (or more) of the 4 computers in that network of yours host a resource, like a printer or a folder of files that the other 3 computers have access to.

If they don't then it doesn't matter about the mix of OS in your home network.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                              I have a question for the more tech savy. Our home network is made of of an Intel iMac, and Intel Mac Book, my old Powerbook G4, and an Airport Extreme router. All have Leopard running and are working fine.

Is there any advantage to upgrading to Snow Leopard besides the extra disc space? I realize the Power Book will be left out (obsolete) this time...will that interfere with the network to have two OS in the mix?
                              There's a lot of good reasons to upgrade besides disk space. have a look at several of the reviews to check it out...

Leopard and Snow Leopard machines can exist very nicely on the same network
                              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I thought Snow Leopard only runs on Intel proc macs?
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X