X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    It sure was a yawner.
    I guess the millions of people around the world who stood in line to purchase an iPhone 5 this weekend didn't get your message.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The map function has displayed images that would make Salvador Dali proud.

Drooping bridges and melting clocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        I guess the millions of people around the world who stood in line to purchase an iPhone 5 this weekend didn't get your message.
        Apple sure is a powerful marketing machine...and an ecosystem with a deathly grip on its users.

Comment

Apple sure is a powerful marketing machine...and an ecosystem with a deathly grip on its users.
          What exactly do you mean in the last part of your statement? Just curious.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

What exactly do you mean in the last part of your statement? Just curious.
            Apple has a great ecosystem as long as you don't want to leave, which is very difficult...if at all.

Comment

Sounds like 'Hotel California'

Comment

Apple has a great ecosystem as long as you don't want to leave, which is very difficult...if at all.
                If one makes a habit of purchasing all their music and movies through iTunes downloads, then your point is valid for those folks. But for people who primarily purchase CDs and DVDs, your words hold little relevance.

And just as an update to what I wrote in post #242, the concern over the lack of long-term support for Android devices continues. No better case in point than Motorola canceling plans to upgrade several of its 2011 flagship smartphones with Ice Cream Sandwich (a.k.a., the Android 4.0 platform), thus breaking the company's earlier promise to update its phones' OS for at least 18 months.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...roken-promise/

Needless to say, this made a large group of Motorola consumers unhappy about being stuck with unsupported phones that are still under contract.

In the meantime, Apple recently put out its current iOS6 software for all iPhones going back to the 3GS. This, despite the fact that the 3GS is no longer being manufactured. True, the 3GS's iteration of the iOS6 doesn't include all the features you will find on an iPhone 5 (like the 3D maps, Seri, etc.), but the important thing is that 3GS owners are still provided with the latest in security/privacy protection.

Comment

If one makes a habit of purchasing all their music and movies through iTunes downloads, then your point is valid for those folks. But for people who primarily purchase CDs and DVDs, your words hold little relevance.
                  While I am an Apple owner and have been for a long time, the iTunes store is my least favorite place to purchase music or movies. It is good for getting free apps for your iOS devices, keeping those things updated and storage of the tracks you already purchased. They are also the best place to easily browse and get free podcast content.

Since Apple pushed their per-track price up to mostly $1.29 ea., I have avoided the most music purchases there. I used to purchase a lot of tracks from them when they were 99¢ each. Now I only download the few free songs that they give away.

I rarely if ever buy any video content from them.

I still prefer CDs and if I can get current ones for $10 or less then I'll buy those... otherwise its over to Jelly's and see what they have in the $1 rack.

For digital music, my preferred place is Amazon since many of their tracks are still 99¢ each (sometimes less) and digital music albums are frequently on sale for $5.00 or less. Plus Amazon does not tack on the Hawaii GE tax like Apple does.

Amazon has a good piece of software that allows you to download and automatically place your tracks in iTunes... and like Apple, all music you purchase is stored in their cloud too.

Finally Amazon offers at least 100 tracks a day for free download... and I have found many good songs in their free download sections. Better than Apple's few free song offers per week.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

...and iBooks, iMessages,..

Yes, Apple undoubtedly has the best in class support.

Comment

Unless one happens to live in a class of society whose sole purpose in life

has been designated by the state to work at foxconn and make

smartphones

Comment

Apple announces iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C
                        Apple Inc. said Tuesday it is replacing the iPhone 5 with two different phones -- the higher-end iPhone 5S, which can be bought with a gold case, and the more affordable "unapologetically plastic" iPhone 5C.

The iPhone 5S features a new system-on-a-chip that Apple claims will make it twice as fast as its predecessor and it is the first-ever 64-bit smartphone. It also features Touch ID, a fingerprint authentication security feature.

Comment

The October Apple announcements have been made!
                          • OSX Mavericks update, free
                          • Updated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, lower entry-level pricing
                          • New MacPro, announced in June, priced at $2,999
                          • Larger iPad renamed iPad Air, thinner, faster, one pound light.
                          • The iPad mini gets a Retina display, but higher price at $399
                          • Older models stick around: iPad 2 and 2012 iPad mini at $299.

Comment

So for late 2013 the only things that have not been updated are the iPods, iPod Touch (not counting the fact that it can run iOS7) and the Mac Mini (however now offered with OSX 10.9).

The 13 inch MacBook Pro without retina display but still offered with built in super drive and ethernet is still in the line-up but offered with OSX 10.9. The 15 inch MacBook Pro with super drive and ethernet has been discontinued.

Oh well... at least the latest OSX Mavericks is available at a bargain basement price.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I’m in somewhat of a quandary. I really wanted to buy the new iPhone 5S, so last month I went online on the day it was released. I went about filling out the order and was about to finalize it when I noticed the shipping date was in October (turns out they sold out within half an hour), so I decided to wait. And I’m glad I did, because later there were reports of people getting sick because of the new iOS, and I am very susceptible to motion sickness. I can’t read on a moving vehicle (car, bus, or airplane), I get sick using a microfiche machine to scan old newspaper articles, I get nauseous watching certain movies that use jerky hand-held camera techniques (like The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield).

So this past weekend, I went to the Apple Store to test it out. I fiddled around on the iPhone for twelve minutes and was feeling okay, so I was happy and making plans to buy the phone, but then I started to walk away and that’s when it hit me. I began to feel queasy, and as the minutes went by and the farther I walked, the queasier I became. So no iPhone. And since this is caused by the new iOS 7, it must also affect the new iPad that was just announced, which is something that I also wanted to buy. I know there have been fixes mentioned (disabling the parallax , reducing the motion, etc.), but I’ve read that this doesn’t work 100 per cent. I also know only a small portion of the population is affected, what percentage I have no idea (5%, 10%?); one report says that 25% are affected, but I can’t believe it’s that high. I think it’s closer to 5%, or even less. Unfortunately, I’m in that small percentage.

Has anyone bought a new iPhone or updated to iOS 7 and experienced motion sickness?

The new OSX Mavericks sounds good, though. But I’ll wait a bit before updating. I just hope in the future they don’t mess with the Mac OS in a way that will give me something more painful to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X