Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    From Red Herring, it appears Apple asked for permission from Cisco in using "iPhone". If that is true, that would indicate Apple acknowledged who owned the name.
    Yup, noted previously. Probably one of the better pieces of evidence Cisco has. If Apple was so sure their use of iPhone was in the clear, why bother asking, or negotiating for so long? Still, it probably came down to, "Maybe asking is easier than fighting," and when asking didn't work out, the gloves came off. Not uncommon in these things. The smart money is still on a settlement ("Apple iPhone" and "Cisco iPhone") and not a court battle, anyway.
    Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    so as long as your product doesn't look or function anywhere like another copyrighted product you can use the same name...right.
    Trademarks can be limited to an industry or product area. There are all kinds of companies that call themselves "Star," but one could make car seats, another radios, another clothes. This is also something that Apple Inc. (formerly Apple Computer, Inc.) knows well, after battling Apple Records. The latter was fine with Apple Inc.'s computers because they were in the music biz... but they balked when Apple Inc. entered the music business, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      The smart money is still on a settlement ("Apple iPhone" and "Cisco iPhone") and not a court battle, anyway.
      Probably. I think it all comes down to each side's best guess on how much the courts will award Cisco and settle for that. Since we don't know what Cisco's offer was, it's hard to know if it was higher or lower then what a court might award. From Cisco's point of view, they're just maximizing income. They are not going to walk away from the name.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      Trademarks can be limited to an industry or product area. There are all kinds of companies that call themselves "Star," but one could make car seats, another radios, another clothes. This is also something that Apple Inc. (formerly Apple Computer, Inc.) knows well, after battling Apple Records.
      Absolutely true. And Apple, Inc. is trying to make the same argument for the iPhone. But I don't think the courts are going to buy it this time around and Apple knows it (but can't publicly admit it.)

Comment

I personally think that it's just bad to take someone elses name and use it for yourself. But then again this is Apple we're talking about. They sued Microsoft for the GUI desktop they said was theirs but then Xerox had claim to the GUI long before Apple adopted it, so it doesn't surprize me that Apple would try that tactic again with Cisco.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          But one can also argue that Apple's iPhone can also be IP telephony since you can run wifi on it and run Skype for instance.
          As it turns out, Jobs has been quoted as saying that they will not allow people to install their own software on the phone. Only through approved channels just like the iPod games (probably iTS actually). Sucks It looked like it had such geek potential but it's basically a very pretty dumb phone instead of a smart phone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
            As it turns out, Jobs has been quoted as saying that they will not allow people to install their own software on the phone.
            Might be time to short Apple stock. Depends on how big Apple TV goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Might be time to short Apple stock. Depends on how big Apple TV goes.
              It probably is.

It's relatively easy to make money with Apple stock by loading up on it a few days before Steve Jobs announces new products and then dumping it a day (or two) later after the initial "hype" dies down.
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

With Apple dropping the "Computers" from their name, I think this signals Apple's change in direction to being a more rounded consumer electronics company ala Sony. While they have made strides in the computer marketshare, they made a killing with Ipods & Itunes sales (and generating a nice profit while at it). Now they are getting into phones and what's next? Judging by the "oohs" and "aaahs" their Cinematic monitors get at the Apple Store, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Apple branded flat screen TV. There are lots of consumer electronic items that could get the Apple treatment...ie good function bundled with stylish appearance and unique interface.

The future could be a whole new ball of wax for the Cupertino crew.

Comment

Wanted to throw in a comment I got from a friend of a friend in Japan (not my words, not necessarily my viewpoint, but another perspective nonetheless):
                  I laugh at the i-phone. What can mobile phones in Japan do? You can watch TV, they have GPS, you can download music, including songs from your favorite recording artists for ring tones, play on-line games, make conference calls, access the internet, send e-mail, send sky mail, take pictures, add things to the pictures, e-mail pictures, make the pictures different sizes, take video, play said video back on either your computer or TV, make purchases at your local shop, buy tickets, reserve hotel rooms - and what does the i-phone offer? 5 year old Asian technology. I bet you can't wait to buy one for $600.00; while my phone cost about $110.00
                  A-hem!

Comment

Though I know the whole Cisco v. Apple trademark dispute over the name 'iPhone' isn't particularly interesting to lots of folks, I just had to link this analysis of how Cisco may have blew it. They missed the six-year deadline, and just before their six-month grace period also lapsed, they literally slapped a sticker that said 'iPhone' on an existing product box and submitted that as evidence of use. It's so ridiculous, it's hilarious.

Indeed, Cisco just renamed an existing product that already had a name with its big announcement of the iPhone last month. Apparently the product manuals don't yet reflect the new name for the device.

If Apple can prove Cisco misrepresented its use of the name, the trademark can be canceled, and the name can go to the next filer... a mysterious overseas company named Ocean Telecom Services LLC that Cisco asserts is just a front for Apple.

Comment

I think Cisco is certainly reaching - and it's unfortunate that Apple has to deal with so many lawsuits now that it's doing well. Apple vs. Apple records? C'mon. But I think the great thing about Apple Inc. is that it always tends to make nice with the companies afterward - witness the showing of Beatles albums during the iPhone presentation. Sure to hear about the long-pursued Beatles albums to finally become digital downloads.

I can't personally justify getting an iPhone, but my birthday's in September, if anyone's feeling generous!

I can't wait for the next generation of iPods, however. Widescreen with accelerators and likely to be touch screen?! The Zune will be buried before it even reaches maturity. But like mentioned before, this won't likely happen anytime soon, because of the cannibalisation effect of the iPhone. Hopefully by December...

Meanwhile, my 20 gig photo iPod will do just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post

That said, I know A LOT of people who only have a need for just A PHONE. No need for the camera, mp3 players, text messaging, just the ability to call somebody. Can't some manufacturer make something simpler?

Of course, I'm waiting for my iPhone........

can you say iPhone Nano?
                        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

• I gotta have...da iPhone!!!

Wow, did you guys happen the see the MACWORLD announcements? I love everything about the iPhone except it's price!

http://images.apple.com/iphone/image...ro20070109.jpg
                          Last edited by admin; January 13, 2007, 07:20 AM. Reason: Please don't embed images from sites other than your own.

Comment

• Re: I gotta have...da iPhone!!!

At 4GB for 500 smackers no thanks...

Comment

That little dustup between Cisco and Apple over the name "iPhone" apparently has ended amicably with Cisco allowing Apple to use the name "iPhone" for its product in exchange for future "interoperability" between the Apple product and Cisco products.

The companies said Wednesday they reached an agreement that will allow Apple to use the name for its sleek new multimedia device in exchange for exploring wide-ranging "interoperability" between the companies' products in the areas of security, consumer and business communications.
                              Ahhh, a marriage made in heaven. If Steve Jobs doesn't watch out, Cisco will be buying him out soon.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You know those new Mac commercials that are running make me feel as if Apple has become the smug company. Apple has to realize that their profitablity isn't from Mac sales but from iPods. And with Vista, many of Apple's utilities aren't compatible with MS including Quicktime.

I think this smugness is gonna backfire on Apple as they become larger and larger. It's just a matter of time until someone get's upset with a Mac and will hack their OS.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X