Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by mel View Post
    If the iPod Touch continues at the present price and the iPhone is selling for less, it spells doom for the iPod Touch... unless Apple lowers the price of that device.
    you don't need a 2yr contract to buy a Touch, and there are many people that don't want AT&T or need a smartphone...

BUT. it the $100 price different converts some Touch buyers to the iPhone, that's good for Apple since the iPhone is now going to become the biggest device for Apple.
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
      you don't need a 2yr contract to buy a Touch, and there are many people that don't want AT&T or need a smartphone...

BUT. it the $100 price different converts some Touch buyers to the iPhone, that's good for Apple since the iPhone is now going to become the biggest device for Apple.
      But the iPod Touch is not a phone. It is not as feature laden as the phone. The price should be lowered. At least on the low end model... with the other ones falling in-between the higher and lower end models of the iPhone. It should happen or Apple will see their iPod Touch sales dry up.

I prefer to buy devices that only require a one time cost up front and not be tied to a $ubscription plan like a cell phone. I am one of the few who are defiantly "cell phone-less" and I love it.

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Maybe Apple will slide the price of the iPod Touch down.

For those people who did not buy an iPhone when they first came out, and who want one now, it may be a good time to get one, though the plan from AT&T is still pricey.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

man, i want the new iPhone, but I still have a year left on my tmobile contract!

I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Gad, it took me forever to get untangled from ATT. That's the biggest turnoff about the iPhone.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Gad, it took me forever to get untangled from ATT. That's the biggest turnoff about the iPhone.
            on a serious note, what was so bad about AT&T?

i've had them for the past 4 yrs. never a problem. great reception everywhere i go and no billing issues. on the contrary i hear horror stories about Sprint (don't know first hand) and the data speeds on tmobile are the slowest

Comment

We had ATT for long-distance service, which was too expensive, but when we tried to stop service, they simply refused and kept billing us, even though we were no longer connected. It took months and we nearly got the state office of consumer complaint involved.
              Burl Burlingame
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

We had ATT for long-distance service, which was too expensive, but when we tried to stop service, they simply refused and kept billing us, even though we were no longer connected. It took months and we nearly got the state office of consumer complaint involved.
                I had a similar problem with AT&T long distance landline service. It took me months to get rid of it after calling customer service several times and sending out snail mails. Very frustrating. I never want to do business with them again.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

They actually yelled at us that we were not allowed to cancel their service!
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                    on a serious note, what was so bad about AT&T?

i've had them for the past 4 yrs. never a problem. great reception everywhere i go and no billing issues. on the contrary i hear horror stories about Sprint (don't know first hand) and the data speeds on tmobile are the slowest
                    I've been with Sprint for more than five years, without any complaint, however I realize that my experience is uncommon. Sprint has reasonable rates, consistent reception, data speeds are fast enough for this impatient customer, and they offer a good selection of phones.

At $199 I was more than 75% sure that I was purchasing the new iPhone, but after reviewing the plans I've changed my mind.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

They actually yelled at us that we were not allowed to cancel their service!
                      that could actually be true.

Nowadays the local phone company puts a restriction on the line so the long distance can't be changed without you authorizing it through the local phone company. In hawaii that would most likely be Hawaiian Tel.

This was done to combat the problem of "slamming" that went rampant in the late 90's early 00's where any company could send a notice to the phone company to change your carrier, they would change it, even if you never authorized it...

Comment

iPhone 3G debuts on Friday at 8 a.m. With it comes the new App Store (for both original and 3G models as well as the iPod Touch), and MobileMe, the new name for .Mac with dock-free syncing and double the storage, as well as push-email for the iPhone.

I think the App Store and the new software for iPhone will keep the original iPhones valuable and useful, and the higher price for AT&T plans make the iPhone 3G a weak deal. I don't think I want an iPhone 3G as a result... but I'm wondering how I'll feel after I actually get to play with one. 3G speeds is three to five times faster than EDGE, and that's gotta be noticable!

Comment

yeah i'm trying to decide if i want a white or black one. being the new case is plastic (will get better reception), i think the white would be better show it won't show fingerprints and scratches as much.

As much as i use the net with the iphone, i'm sure i'll want the greater speeds the 3G provides. Downloading pages in 1/3 the time will be great. I'm really looking forward to the MobileMe. as a .Mac user it will be great to finally have push services, OTA syncing for contacts, address, cal, etc... I use my calendar and address book a lot on my Mac and forget to sync my iphone most of the time, so i'm without the latest updates I made.

Still trying to decide if i'm going to be there on day one or wait a week or so...

Comment

Nah, I think pzarquon has it right. I don't want a 3g. The plan costs more and you don't get that much more. I am happy at 2g whenever I am away from 802.11.

Actually, I'm looking for a used g2 4 gig model or two for my wife and kid. We have had ATT for years. Simply pull SIM chip from old phone, stick in iPhone and you're in business.

No contract hassles. Add the $20 iPhone rider to their phones and everybody happy.
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

Miulang
                              Eh? Didn't Cisco acquire Linksys ~five years ago? I think they're doing just fine when it comes to the consumer market penetration, thank you.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              The Mac Mini has always had at least 1 firewire port.

While the new iMacs look pretty cool what some Apple fans like me are missing is a midrange mini-tower, similar to the long discontinued Power Mac G4 towers but of course with the latest processors. This would be for those who can't afford the really expensive MacPro but want the expandability and flexibility a tower has vs. that of an all in one iMac.
                              Ahh, you want an Open Computer! $399 ain't a shabby deal for a 2GHz dual-core box with 2GB/250GB to run Leopard on.

I had the same experience back in the 90s. Oddly enough, my circular route through all the wireless carriers (I started off with HonCel) has left me feeling mostly sweet on AT&T Wireless. Accurate billing, $19/mo unlimited HSDPA, the widest phone selection, the most bars (for where I work/live) and a tidy corporate discount on my monthly do it for me.

Just out of curiosity though, I priced a 3G iPhone package. I might have considered the new belt bling had my service plan been transferable. But I couldn't justify paying the price of admission plus $10 more a month for the same data plan simply to get a better OS and screen. I'm holding on to my HTC Trinity at least until the verdicts are in on the HTC Touch Diamond and Blackberry Thunder.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              iPhone 3G debuts on Friday at 8 a.m. With it comes the new App Store (for both original and 3G models as well as the iPod Touch), and MobileMe, the new name for .Mac with dock-free syncing and double the storage, as well as push-email for the iPhone.

I think the App Store and the new software for iPhone will keep the original iPhones valuable and useful, and the higher price for AT&T plans make the iPhone 3G a weak deal. I don't think I want an iPhone 3G as a result... but I'm wondering how I'll feel after I actually get to play with one. 3G speeds is three to five times faster than EDGE, and that's gotta be noticable!
                              I think Apple disappoints by making their customers pay extra for the TomTom s/w to use with the gps on the new iPhone. TomTom Navigator 6 came free with my phone and proved invaluable on our last trip to Oregon. Real-time traffic indicators and dynamic re-routing make a huge difference when you're trying to make time with a 120-mile drive ahead of you, heavy rain on top of you and a hungry stomach inside you.

As for 3G (3.5G, technically), the difference is almost as dramatic as the divide between dial-up and broadband. Streaming video looks good, even in a moving car. And what better time is there to be watching Japanese game shows?
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                                Just out of curiosity though, I priced a 3G iPhone package. I might have considered the new belt bling had my service plan been transferable. But I couldn't justify paying the price of admission plus $10 more a month for the same data plan simply to get a better OS and screen.

As for 3G (3.5G, technically), the difference is almost as dramatic as the divide between dial-up and broadband. Streaming video looks good, even in a moving car. And what better time is there to be watching Japanese game shows?
                                I think you just justified the price increase yourself. The $10 is to upgrade from EDGE (dial-up) to 3G (broadband).

Comment

Working...
                                X