Apple Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacWorld 2007

What will Steve Jobs pull out of his sleeve this year? There's talk of an "iPhone" and and "iTV". The MacWorld trade show starts tomorrow at Moscone Center in San Francisco, so expect lots of press beginning tomorrow.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Apple Announcements

Between CES and Macworld, my feedreader is overflowing. Hundreds of posts in a few hours. And yeah, when the Macworld keynote starts, I'll pretty much be in the zone and useless to the rest of the universe.

I'm actually kind of miffed at all the emphasis on the 'iPhone' (though it won't be called the 'iPhone' since another company has the trademark and just started using it). The speculation is so overwhelming it's almost as if Apple can't not announce it. Yet... I'm not particularly interested in such a beast.

My favorite Macworld hype tracker? Keynote Bingo. There's been variations on this for years, but this one dynamically and randomly assigns squares. Wonder if someone on the show floor will yell "Bingo!" while The Steve is on stage?

Comment

Keynote underway. Semi-live updates here, here, here, and here, among many. Expect things on the web to be kinda congested over the next hour!

Comment

iPod and iTunes: Kicking everyone's butt, including Microsoft Zune. Adding Paramount to movie store. "Wrath of Khan," anyone?

Apple TV (formerly iTV), $299, 720p HD video, 40GB hard drive for syncing, photos, music, and videos, live streaming and looks fantastic.

iPhone: HOLY CRAP. Well, okay, everyone saw the iPhone coming. But not this iPhone coming. Or that they went with iPhone, despite the fact that Cisco has an iPhone too. How? Well, because this thing is in its own category of device. It's the long-awaited widescreen/full-face iPod, plus an internet communicator (IM), plus a phone. No keypad, all touch screen, motion detectors can tell if you're holding it to your ear, in portrait or horizontal mode, and so on. It runs a full OS, not some stripped down system -- the UI looks polished and intuitive (and how!). GSM+EDGE, WiFi and BlueTooth, syncs everything from contacts to media seamlessly as the iPod, and... and... I hope even Apple skeptics can agree -- pretty much blows everything else out of the water.

I need a cold shower.

Comment

And only 11.6mm thick. That's thinner than the Motorola Razr!

Comment

holy moly i want i want
              -kp!

Comment

well, there's the fact that the screen will be scratched up in a few weeks, it can be easily snapped in half... aw, who am I kidding, I'm just ranting that Cingulhell got another exclusive!!! *cries*
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Or that they went with iPhone, despite the fact that Cisco has an iPhone too.
                  I don't think that can last. Two phone devices that have the "iPhone" name? Lawsuit. Apple on the loosing side. They'll have to license the name if they want it that bad.

Comment

Heh. One of the images Jobs used showed an entry for "Steve's iPhone, 8.0 GB, 408-996-1010". Of course, it's not Jobs' actual iPhone number, it's the main listing for Apple.

And oh baby. Eight gigabytes on a phone?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      I don't think that can last. Two phone devices that have the "iPhone" name? Lawsuit. Apple on the loosing side. They'll have to license the name if they want it that bad.
                      Looks like they've worked out a deal with Cisco. From CNET News:

10:32--Cisco calls CNET News.com reporter with a statement about Apple's use of the term "iPhone" for its new product. "Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final document and public statements that were distributed to them last night and that address a few remaining items we expect to receive a signed agreement today."

Comment

Ouch! $600 w/ 2-year contract for the 8GB phone! What the hell, I still want one. Gotta wait 'till June, though.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          Ouch! $600 w/ 2-year contract for the 8GB phone! What the hell, I still want one. Gotta wait 'till June, though.
                          blah.. not to mention that the wife will most definitely want one too...
                          that means $1200 for 2of those babies!
                          -kp!

Comment

I'm still reeling. It's OSX in your pocket. GPS helps link you to Google Maps... find the nearest pizza joint and call it. Accelerometers can tell if you've got the thing to your ear, holding it out to see a contact list, or putting it on its side to watch a widescreen movie. And that touch-screen interface is... god, I have to find a good video of the presentation. It does that 'two-fingered zoom' that UI braniacs have been gibbering about for a while now.
                            Originally posted by zff View Post
                            Ouch! $600 w/ 2-year contract for the 8GB phone!
                            I am certain the hardware alone would be pushing a grand. It ain't cheap, ouch is right, but (1.) Apple products command a premium for good design, and in this iPhone, I dare say they've revolutionized mobile devices, period, and (2.) comparing it to the best "smartphones" out there... it's no comparison. I love, love, love my Treo, but it was $649 without a plan. Makes the iPhone look like a steal.
                            Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                            Heh. One of the images Jobs used showed an entry for "Steve's iPhone, 8.0 GB, 408-996-1010". Of course, it's not Jobs' actual iPhone number, it's the main listing for Apple.
                            What I really enjoyed was that part of Steve's live demo of the iPhone included him e-mailing his marketing head a photo of Hawaii!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              I'm still reeling. It's OSX in your pocket. GPS helps link you to Google Maps... find the nearest pizza joint and call it. Accelerometers can tell if you've got the thing to your ear, holding it out to see a contact list, or putting it on its side to watch a widescreen movie. And that touch-screen interface is... god, I have to find a good video of the presentation. It does that 'two-fingered zoom' that UI braniacs have been gibbering about for a while now.
                              I think this is where Apple's official video is supposed to go... but it's not up yet.

Comment

The phone is up on Apple's site now. Be patient, their site's getting hammered.

Comment

Working...
                                X