Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 273

Thread: Apple Announcements

  1. #101

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Meanwhile, the iPhone trademark battle continues. Lots of people are pointing to other products called the iPhone. Apple's VP for global communications says, "We believe that Cisco’s U.S. trademark is tenuous at best... We are the first company to use the iPhone name for a cellphone and we’re confident we will prevail." An Apple spokeswoman says, "We think Cisco's trademark suit is silly... We believe (Cisco's) trademark registration is tenuous at best."
    I don't know about that. Even if it took them 9 years from 97 to 06 to release the Linksys iPhone family line, Cisco still did it first compared to Apple, assuming the Cisco abandoned the trademark registration argument. Plus, Cisco has had their Unifed IP Phones for years.

    The media may have babbled about Apple's iPhone for years but the media is not Apple so up till a couple days ago, no one knew for certain what the offical product name is. So argument that media called Apple's iPhone for years gives it creditability doesn't hold much water.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,325

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    There are other iPhones, but the other examples are better targets for a Cisco infringement lawsuit, since those are IP telephony specific, versus the Apple iPhone, which is an iPod/cellular phone hybrid. Along with the abandonment claim, Apple might argue that Cisco didn't defend its trademark against those other products, so it's moot to start crying now.

    As for the fact that 'iPhone' was a widely covered Apple product name in the media... I wouldn't so much say it's a good legal argument, and if it goes to court, Cisco would probably win. But it's a common sense practical argument. If Apple renames it the Apple Phone today, it'll still be the iPhone to most people.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    There are other iPhones, but the other examples are better targets for a Cisco infringement lawsuit, since those are IP telephony specific, versus the Apple iPhone, which is an iPod/cellular phone hybrid. Along with the abandonment claim, Apple might argue that Cisco didn't defend its trademark against those other products, so it's moot to start crying now.

    As for the fact that 'iPhone' was a widely covered Apple product name in the media... I wouldn't so much say it's a good legal argument, and if it goes to court, Cisco would probably win. But it's a common sense practical argument. If Apple renames it the Apple Phone today, it'll still be the iPhone to most people.
    But one can also argue that Apple's iPhone can also be IP telephony since you can run wifi on it and run Skype for instance.

    From Red Herring, it appears Apple asked for permission from Cisco in using "iPhone". If that is true, that would indicate Apple acknowledged who owned the name.

    "Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," Cisco general counsel Mark Chandler said in a statement.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    What I see with the Apple iPhone is an entertainment device. How many are really going to pay that much for it when it's on their own dime? And how much is the service? I'll bet it's a lot more then just basic phone service. Even if people are willing to pony up for the device, will the pay for the expensive service too?
    My understanding is that if you currently have basic phone service, you'll have to pay for the additional data services, just as you would now if you utilize some type of PDA. If you already have the data services, your rates wouldn't change much.

    My impression is that the iPhone is meant to compete with the Blackberrys and Treos of the world by offering the same features, maybe more, and raising the ease of use factor. For me, the "synergy" between this product and my Mac gets me excited. One would hope that with a larger demand for the iPhone, the premium to pay for data services will go down due to the volume of customers.

    That said, I know A LOT of people who only have a need for just A PHONE. No need for the camera, mp3 players, text messaging, just the ability to call somebody. Can't some manufacturer make something simpler?

    Of course, I'm waiting for my iPhone........

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    so as long as your product doesn't look or function anywhere like another copyrighted product you can use the same name...right.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,325

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    From Red Herring, it appears Apple asked for permission from Cisco in using "iPhone". If that is true, that would indicate Apple acknowledged who owned the name.
    Yup, noted previously. Probably one of the better pieces of evidence Cisco has. If Apple was so sure their use of iPhone was in the clear, why bother asking, or negotiating for so long? Still, it probably came down to, "Maybe asking is easier than fighting," and when asking didn't work out, the gloves came off. Not uncommon in these things. The smart money is still on a settlement ("Apple iPhone" and "Cisco iPhone") and not a court battle, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    so as long as your product doesn't look or function anywhere like another copyrighted product you can use the same name...right.
    Trademarks can be limited to an industry or product area. There are all kinds of companies that call themselves "Star," but one could make car seats, another radios, another clothes. This is also something that Apple Inc. (formerly Apple Computer, Inc.) knows well, after battling Apple Records. The latter was fine with Apple Inc.'s computers because they were in the music biz... but they balked when Apple Inc. entered the music business, too.

  7. #107

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    The smart money is still on a settlement ("Apple iPhone" and "Cisco iPhone") and not a court battle, anyway.
    Probably. I think it all comes down to each side's best guess on how much the courts will award Cisco and settle for that. Since we don't know what Cisco's offer was, it's hard to know if it was higher or lower then what a court might award. From Cisco's point of view, they're just maximizing income. They are not going to walk away from the name.


    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Trademarks can be limited to an industry or product area. There are all kinds of companies that call themselves "Star," but one could make car seats, another radios, another clothes. This is also something that Apple Inc. (formerly Apple Computer, Inc.) knows well, after battling Apple Records.
    Absolutely true. And Apple, Inc. is trying to make the same argument for the iPhone. But I don't think the courts are going to buy it this time around and Apple knows it (but can't publicly admit it.)

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    I personally think that it's just bad to take someone elses name and use it for yourself. But then again this is Apple we're talking about. They sued Microsoft for the GUI desktop they said was theirs but then Xerox had claim to the GUI long before Apple adopted it, so it doesn't surprize me that Apple would try that tactic again with Cisco.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    626

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    But one can also argue that Apple's iPhone can also be IP telephony since you can run wifi on it and run Skype for instance.
    As it turns out, Jobs has been quoted as saying that they will not allow people to install their own software on the phone. Only through approved channels just like the iPod games (probably iTS actually). Sucks It looked like it had such geek potential but it's basically a very pretty dumb phone instead of a smart phone now.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by Bard View Post
    As it turns out, Jobs has been quoted as saying that they will not allow people to install their own software on the phone.
    Might be time to short Apple stock. Depends on how big Apple TV goes.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pāhoa, Hawai'i
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Might be time to short Apple stock. Depends on how big Apple TV goes.
    It probably is.

    It's relatively easy to make money with Apple stock by loading up on it a few days before Steve Jobs announces new products and then dumping it a day (or two) later after the initial "hype" dies down.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ewa Beach
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    With Apple dropping the "Computers" from their name, I think this signals Apple's change in direction to being a more rounded consumer electronics company ala Sony. While they have made strides in the computer marketshare, they made a killing with Ipods & Itunes sales (and generating a nice profit while at it). Now they are getting into phones and what's next? Judging by the "oohs" and "aaahs" their Cinematic monitors get at the Apple Store, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Apple branded flat screen TV. There are lots of consumer electronic items that could get the Apple treatment...ie good function bundled with stylish appearance and unique interface.

    The future could be a whole new ball of wax for the Cupertino crew.

  13. #113

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Wanted to throw in a comment I got from a friend of a friend in Japan (not my words, not necessarily my viewpoint, but another perspective nonetheless):
    I laugh at the i-phone. What can mobile phones in Japan do? You can watch TV, they have GPS, you can download music, including songs from your favorite recording artists for ring tones, play on-line games, make conference calls, access the internet, send e-mail, send sky mail, take pictures, add things to the pictures, e-mail pictures, make the pictures different sizes, take video, play said video back on either your computer or TV, make purchases at your local shop, buy tickets, reserve hotel rooms - and what does the i-phone offer? 5 year old Asian technology. I bet you can't wait to buy one for $600.00; while my phone cost about $110.00
    A-hem!

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,325

    Wink Re: Apple Announcements

    Though I know the whole Cisco v. Apple trademark dispute over the name 'iPhone' isn't particularly interesting to lots of folks, I just had to link this analysis of how Cisco may have blew it. They missed the six-year deadline, and just before their six-month grace period also lapsed, they literally slapped a sticker that said 'iPhone' on an existing product box and submitted that as evidence of use. It's so ridiculous, it's hilarious.

    Indeed, Cisco just renamed an existing product that already had a name with its big announcement of the iPhone last month. Apparently the product manuals don't yet reflect the new name for the device.

    If Apple can prove Cisco misrepresented its use of the name, the trademark can be canceled, and the name can go to the next filer... a mysterious overseas company named Ocean Telecom Services LLC that Cisco asserts is just a front for Apple.

  15. #115

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    I think Cisco is certainly reaching - and it's unfortunate that Apple has to deal with so many lawsuits now that it's doing well. Apple vs. Apple records? C'mon. But I think the great thing about Apple Inc. is that it always tends to make nice with the companies afterward - witness the showing of Beatles albums during the iPhone presentation. Sure to hear about the long-pursued Beatles albums to finally become digital downloads.

    I can't personally justify getting an iPhone, but my birthday's in September, if anyone's feeling generous!

    I can't wait for the next generation of iPods, however. Widescreen with accelerators and likely to be touch screen?! The Zune will be buried before it even reaches maturity. But like mentioned before, this won't likely happen anytime soon, because of the cannibalisation effect of the iPhone. Hopefully by December...

    Meanwhile, my 20 gig photo iPod will do just fine...

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    505

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by tvguy View Post

    That said, I know A LOT of people who only have a need for just A PHONE. No need for the camera, mp3 players, text messaging, just the ability to call somebody. Can't some manufacturer make something simpler?

    Of course, I'm waiting for my iPhone........

    can you say iPhone Nano?

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Really God's country, Puna Hawaii
    Posts
    219

    Default I gotta have...da iPhone!!!

    Wow, did you guys happen the see the MACWORLD announcements? I love everything about the iPhone except it's price!

    http://images.apple.com/iphone/image...ro20070109.jpg
    Last edited by admin; January 13th, 2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Please don't embed images from sites other than your own.

  18. #118

    Default Re: I gotta have...da iPhone!!!

    At 4GB for 500 smackers no thanks...

  19. #119

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    That little dustup between Cisco and Apple over the name "iPhone" apparently has ended amicably with Cisco allowing Apple to use the name "iPhone" for its product in exchange for future "interoperability" between the Apple product and Cisco products.

    The companies said Wednesday they reached an agreement that will allow Apple to use the name for its sleek new multimedia device in exchange for exploring wide-ranging "interoperability" between the companies' products in the areas of security, consumer and business communications.
    Ahhh, a marriage made in heaven. If Steve Jobs doesn't watch out, Cisco will be buying him out soon.

    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  20. #120
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    You know those new Mac commercials that are running make me feel as if Apple has become the smug company. Apple has to realize that their profitablity isn't from Mac sales but from iPods. And with Vista, many of Apple's utilities aren't compatible with MS including Quicktime.

    I think this smugness is gonna backfire on Apple as they become larger and larger. It's just a matter of time until someone get's upset with a Mac and will hack their OS.

  21. #121

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    You know those new Mac commercials that are running make me feel as if Apple has become the smug company. Apple has to realize that their profitablity isn't from Mac sales but from iPods. And with Vista, many of Apple's utilities aren't compatible with MS including Quicktime.

    I think this smugness is gonna backfire on Apple as they become larger and larger. It's just a matter of time until someone get's upset with a Mac and will hack their OS.
    Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,325

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Yesterday brought a good chunk of Apple news... specifically not related to the iPhone or iPod.

    They unveiled a redesigned iMac (prompting a redesigned keyboard). They released major upgrades to their iLife and iWork software suites (including a significant revision to iMovie and the long-awaited spreadsheet application, Numbers). They even bumped up the specs on the oft overlooked Mac mini.

    The keyboard announcement gave me one of those forehead-smacking Apple upgrade moments. Because I had just bought one on Sunday.

    I think most folks are more excited about the software updates than the hardware revisions. iMovie in particular could be a big deal (as if it wasn't already in the consumer video space). And Pages, their layout app, is simplified to be a decent word processor. Numbers? It ain't no Excel in power, but in usability? It could be awesome.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,134

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Did the eariler versions of the Mac mini had a firewire port on it?

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kihei -currently away at school in NY
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Did the eariler versions of the Mac mini had a firewire port on it?
    Yes, at least the ones used in my school do.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Apple Announcements

    Does the new keyboard work with a non-intel Mac?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •