Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    you and I are known as "Platinum" customers. Check out what that means. What I WANT it to mean is, "here's yer apple phone, PM!"
    Yes, I must congratulate both of you on being such loyal T-Mobile customers. I had a job interview recently with one of the groups that manages their call centers and they did remark that their #1 priority was to keep their customers happy. With the huge churn rates that happen whenever the next new phone or service crops up, it's pretty amazing to find customers who stick with a cellular phone carrier for longer than the contract period.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Go buy a T-Mobile MDA. It's a full-featured PDA-style phone that's an adult version of the Sidekick.

Only thing is, it runs on a Microsoft OS, not OSX.
      You think THAT'S a whine? No, my previous bleedout much more qualifies.

I've looked at the mda, actually. It, along with the blackberry, can be configured to work with MacOSX if I install MacSync, which I have also considered purchasing at one time or another.

Do you have an MDA? I don't know anyone who owns one, and would prefer to hear him/her evangelize/gripe on its features/limitations.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        Yes, I must congratulate both of you on being such loyal T-Mobile customers. I had a job interview recently with one of the groups that manages their call centers and they did remark that their #1 priority was to keep their customers happy. With the huge churn rates that happen whenever the next new phone or service crops up, it's pretty amazing to find customers who stick with a cellular phone carrier for longer than the contract period.

Miulang
        To be frank, I am loyal to my wallet. I am happy with TMobile in all areas except selection. My husband and children are all razorheads, so they've nothing to complain about.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          You think THAT'S a whine? No, my previous bleedout much more qualifies.

I've looked at the mda, actually. It, along with the blackberry, can be configured to work with MacOSX if I install MacSync, which I have also considered purchasing at one time or another.

Do you have an MDA? I don't know anyone who owns one, and would prefer to hear him/her evangelize/gripe on its features/limitations.
          Yes... but I was too lazy to quote it.

I've owned all three versions of the Sidekick, plus a MDA and a Blackberry. I liked the MDA the best, until a friend dropped it (I had just canceled my phone insurance the week before).

Now I have a plain old regular phone. So boring.

Comment

Cingular has an exclusive contract til 2009.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/09/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Cingular, a unit of AT&T (up $0.13 to $33.94, Charts), will be Apple's sole U.S. partner. It's an exclusive multiyear agreement, which means no other carrier will be able to sell the iPhone through 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post

Cingular, a unit of AT&T (up $0.13 to $33.94, Charts), will be Apple's sole U.S. partner. It's an exclusive multiyear agreement, which means no other carrier will be able to sell the iPhone through 2009.
              <foams at the mouth>

pax

Comment

I'm glad that I own some Apple stock...it went up $7.10 per share (to $92.57) today. I can hardly wait until the "early adopters" (myself included) begin finding the iPhone's bugs in June.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

OK. I looked at and read about the Apple iPhone and the new Apple TV devices. Cool as one can usually expect from Apple.

The bigger news to me is the fact that Steve Jobs said that Apple Computer is no more and that Apple is now "Apple Inc." Today marks a shift from the bread and butter Macintosh computers Apple has been so well known for and moving more to entertainment and communications. I know the money is in the iPod, iTunes and the entertainment derivatives. I hope the iPhone and AppleTV are raving successes too. Time will tell.
                  Last edited by mel; January 9, 2007, 08:51 PM.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I downloaded and watched the whole iphone intro off of apple's website, inspiring me to think about the features of my treo which I find most useful. My thoughts on what I like about the iPhone, and the functions I need:

-Documents to Go: because of inter-isle work-related travel, I appreciate the ability to download xls, doc and pdf files onto my treo. From itineraries to taking notes, nothing beats the next-to-nothing weight of a cellphone and a foldup keyboard in my purse. No luggage/computer bag hassles in the airport, nor left in the car if I try to sneak a 1/2 hr in Ala Moana, Ward Centre or CompUSA. The thing that makes my phone "smart" to me is the real ability to leave my computer behind. That requires a work suite, and outside of the calendar and email features, I saw nothing for memos on the iPhone.

-Music needs: except for exercise, I am not comfortable chilling on an ipod, especially because it means I will check out from whatever is going on around me. At home, I don't like to be so disengaged from my hubby/kids, and in public, I am too aware of my surroundings to be comfortable. Music is so powerful to me, that I limit my exposure to it. It IS perfect during exercise.

-I am highly interested in the iPhone's internet browser capabilities, and curious about media-rich sites with shockwave, etc.

-I paid particular attention to how SJ typed his text. I am a dual-thumb thumboard demon, relying comfortably on the middle parts of my thumbs to feel&type. I am not too sure about the precision of the iPhone's keyboard.

-I didn't see any ports for add-ons and guess that all future accessories will be bluetooth-enabled (e.g. foldup keyboards).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                      Looks like they've worked out a deal with Cisco.
                      Ah, so that announcement last month by Linksys about their iPhone was maybe just a move to drive up the price of the trademark?

Comment

Well, doesn't that just suck.

Does anyone know if Cingular allows the phones to roam onto other provider's networks? Who else runs the same format?

I know Sprint allows you to roam onto Verizon. Verizon I think still allows roaming onto Sprint, except last I heard they pulled the local Sprint from the PRL. Because of that I haven't updated in years.

The new iPhone is very interesting, but I'll have to wait and see just how well the features work for actually doing work instead of entertainment. The thumb board is one thing I'm very interested in seeing how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Well, doesn't that just suck.

Does anyone know if Cingular allows the phones to roam onto other provider's networks? Who else runs the same format?
                          T-Mobile uses the same GSM standard that the iPhone operates on.

Once it hits retail, expect a short wait before "unlocked" versions of the phone show up on the Internet.

If you have a GSM SIM card (as all T-Mobile and Cingular customers do), you're good to go. Unfortunately, Sprint/Nextel and Verizon customers are SOL until 2009.

And PM... I think you've already convinced yourself the iPhone is just not for you. Stick with your Treo... you'll definitely be happier with it.

Comment

A phone that does everything is no good to you if you don't really want to do everything, and the smartphone category is infamous for "phone and PDA" combos that do neither "phone" nor "PDA" well. And, you know, the iPhone in June will be a first generation piece of hardware... basically a minefield for Apple, and territory best explored only by the most hardcore fanboy.

I may be one such fanboy, of course.

I use a Treo, but every users needs can be different. For me, I use it maybe 65 percent of the time to check e-mail, 15 of the time to browse the web, 10 percent of the time to handle scheduling and contacts, and a begrudging last 10 percent of the time as a phone. Meanwhile, I carry a separate iPod, mostly to listen to podcasts. I am also a Mac guy at home, and while the Treo-Mac link is pretty solid (courtesy third-party utilities), it has always felt kludgy.

Before my Treo, I had a Visor Prism PDA and a Samsung cell phone, and loved that the Treo combined those things. With the iPhone, two more devices I carry around separately (making me look like a short, squat, dorky Batman wannabe) are further combined. I mostly listen to podcasts, now, after all, so 8GB is perfect. Plus when it comes to syncing, everything will be native, pure Mac. Not to mention the fantastic UI, the "Internet Communicator" features (which the Treo does, but reluctantly), the rich e-mail and web, the...

Anyway. My dad loves his Treo, and I'd never recommend an iPhone. But for some geeks, I think it'll definitely be close to what some are calling "The Jesus Phone."

Comment

So frustrating...I've been jonesing for a widescreen Ipod. What I didn't want was a phone attached to it, especially a phone linked only to Cingular. Plus, what good is a video Ipod with only 8 gig of memory?

I'm looking forward to the 4th quarter release of the spinoff 80 gig video Ipod*. Apple can keep the phone (no matter how cool).

*purely my speculation

Comment

Oh, there'll definitely be an iPhone sans phone, a.k.a. the long-awaited widescreen iPod. But with a likely price point of $299, it's obvious Apple doesn't want to cannibalize $599 iPhone sales (not many folks would get an 8GB iPhone with Cingular if you could get a 60GB wide-screen, touch-screen video iPod for less).

Meanwhile, the iPhone hangover is setting in, blogs now all abuzz with what's wrong with the new device. No installable software, poor battery life, and the limitations of a touch screen interface (even on my Treo, dialing via the screen versus tactile buttons is a crapshoot).

For me, at least, I still think the iPhone would work. Or maybe I need another few weeks for the "HOLY CRAP" reaction to fade from my brainpan.

Comment

Working...
                                X