Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: weird food toppings/pairings

Originally posted by Hellbent
    when i used to work at pizza hut i used to make a super thin crust pizza with 1/2 tomato 1/2 alfredo sauce...
    now commonly referred to as "pink sauce"...really yummy !

I like to throw some ricotta cheese on top too, also add it to basic pasta with tomato sauce...amazing !
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
      when i was a kid i invented a sandwich, it basically consisted of a layer of peanut butter, a layer of butter, more peanut butter, more butter. .... my first job was at BK, there were samoans that used to eat their french fries not with ketchup but with mayo. i think this is how its done in france also.
      When I was an exchange student in New Zealand, they put butter on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (but not layered). They put it on the jelly side. It didnt really affect the taste, but it did help with the jelly going through the bread if it was packed and smooshed later in a lunchbox. They also ate their fries with mayo, too. When I went to McDonalds (ice cream cones were only 20 cents!), I distinctly remember the Kiwi burger being a normal burger with a fried egg and beets - but that's not really my point lol - my point is, I got it with french fries and when I asked for a ketchup packet, the employee just looked at me wierd and walked away. She eventually came back to tell me they didn't have any ketchup, but that the mayo dispenser was to my left.

Comment

I can eat Best Foods/Hellmans Mayonaise with almost every meal.

Butter on top of my fried ramen, never on saimin.

Pretty much any cereal as a topping to my ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040
          When I was an exchange student in New Zealand, they put butter on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (but not layered). They put it on the jelly side. It didnt really affect the taste, but it did help with the jelly going through the bread if it was packed and smooshed later in a lunchbox. .
          When I was a kid we were too poor for PB so Mom made us Butter...Ok not butter...it was MARGARINE and jelly sandwiches...and on a bad week....butter and jelly crackers!!

I still shudder at that food thought!! I remember the greasy butter going against the cold jam in my mouth waiting for the butter to melt into the jam..YUCK
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I remember my grandfather used to eat malasadas with deviled ham. I guess it's the sweet and salty thing!!
            GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

On an Episode of Sokoga Shiritai on KIKU-TV, they showcased food oddities in Japan.

Of course, they had a segment on Fugu, that potentially lethal pufferfish.

But the most interesting one was this method where they submerge a large bite-size piece of Tofu with chopsticks in a fish tank with one small fish in it. Then they pour scalding hot water into the tank. Out of survival instinct, the fish attempts to escape this hot water by burying itself halfway into the Tofu.

The diner then takes out the Tofu with the live fish half-buried in it, dips it a Shoyu sauce and eats it. Wild.

Another one was a sushi restaurant where the chef quickly removes a fish heart from a live fish. Still beating (just like you've seen in horror films), he then gives it to the diner to eat it. Perhaps an aphrodisiac?
              Last edited by Pomai; August 12, 2006, 12:09 PM.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                It's a Southern U.S. thing. Can't really compare it to steak and eggs, as they are both generally savory items. But fried chicken and waffles INCLUDES maple syrup on it, so you have that savory-sweet clash going on. It's best if the fried chicken has a peppery batter (say, with cayenne in it.)
                Oprah had some woman on who won $1 million in some cooking contest with a chicken and waffle dish (as you say, including the maple syrup).

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  ... Then they pour scalding hot water into the tank. ... The diner then takes out the Tofu with the live fish half-buried in it, dips it a Shoyu sauce and eats it. ... the chef quickly removes a fish heart from a live fish. Still beating (just like you've seen in horror films), he then gives it to the diner to eat it. ...
                  Maybe it's just me, having been watching too many Buffy back-episodes, but this sounds like the sort of thing they'd be doing right before the big mean sea god jumps out of the water, rips their hearts out and eats them... and then the audience cheers.

*ahem* Ok. I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                    Oprah had some woman on who won $1 million in some cooking contest with a chicken and waffle dish (as you say, including the maple syrup).
                    I think my sister-in-law sent me that recipe ... IIRC, it was the winning recipe in the Pillsbury Bake-Off this year.

Yup! Found it!
                    http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/sho...aspx?rID=41135

You can sign up for free recipe/meal idea e-mails via the home page.
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

hee! Thanks, Erika. It was bugging me that I could not recall what contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                        Another one was a sushi restaurant where the chef quickly removes a fish heart from a live fish. Still beating (just like you've seen in horror films), he then gives it to the diner to eat it. Perhaps an aphrodisiac?
                        Not for me. Ugh!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAU3gC8K6Uw

the sushi bar is called

alice's restaurant.

Comment

kimo... you are youtubicted!

that was ... um... heartwarming!

Comment

Fried Coke anyone?
                              NEW YORK, Oct 26 (Reuters Life!) - A new fast food is making its debut at U.S. fairs this fall -- fried Coke....a batter mix made with Coca-Cola syrup, a drizzle of strawberry syrup, and some strawberries.
                              http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061027/od_nm/life_coke1_dc
                              I gotta try it before I knock it... but it sounds pretty weird to me

Comment

Working...
                              X