Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Instant Immersion Hawaiian?

Originally posted by Bard View Post
    My wife checked out this 8-CD set from the library and I've been listening to it off and on while on the train....Anyone have any opinions on that particular set? Or recommendations for a better one?
    When I first began studying 'olelo Hawai'i, these CDs were my primary study tool. They're excellent for long-term memorization of vocabulary & pronunciation. I've retained the words, phrases, and sentences to this day. I recommend it as a memorization and pronunciation aid for beginners.

However, it's true that the pronunciation is probably very stilted and proper--unnatural when compared to the smooth speech of a native speaker.

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable enough to say how this set measures up as far as accuracy goes, but I haven't noticed any major discrepancies. I reommend this set to most of the beginners with whom I speak.
    ~'Ailina

Comment

Yeah, I agree.. it's actually kinda creepy sometimes because someone will say some word to me by itself (like "good!") and I have to stop myself from jokingly responding "maika'i!" Good stuff. I've gotten up to CD #4 so far, but I think I'm going to have to go back and review them 'cause I've been slacking...

Comment

You know, I commented earlier, but I realize now that there are two basic products here: the 8-disc audio program, and a computer-based CDROM program (with, I think, two discs). Has anyone evaluated both? Are they notably different, or is the CDROM program basically the same but optimized to be played and navigated on a computer?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          You know, I commented earlier, but I realize now that there are two basic products here: the 8-disc audio program, and a computer-based CDROM program (with, I think, two discs). Has anyone evaluated both? Are they notably different, or is the CDROM program basically the same but optimized to be played and navigated on a computer?
          I've been using the 8-disc audio CDs. We noticed at the Apple store that they had a CD-Rom program from the same people that included something like 100 languages, including Hawaiian. It was cheap so we grabbed a copy. Not so useful at all. It's more like a kid's toy introduction to a bunch of different languages. :\ Is there a better one that's just Hawaiian?

For actual study I got a program called ProVoc which does quizzes and flashcards and such, and input the vocab lists from panpolynesia.net. It even makes iPod "flash cards"

Comment

This thread makes me want to dig out my copy of Ka Lei Ha`aheo outta the closet and dust the cobwebs off.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              This thread makes me want to dig out my copy of Ka Lei Ha`aheo outta the closet and dust the cobwebs off.
              'Ae! Ka Lei Ha'aheo is a great text. This is my primary study tool right now.

I did hear Hokulani Cleeland's 'Olelo 'Oiwi will be released before the end of the year (cannot find any copies right now!). I intend to launch a study in that text as soon as it's available.
              ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina View Post
                'Ae! Ka Lei Ha'aheo is a great text. This is my primary study tool right now.

I did hear Hokulani Cleeland's 'Olelo 'Oiwi will be released before the end of the year (cannot find any copies right now!). I intend to launch a study in that text as soon as it's available.
                I recommend you try "Learn Hawaiian at Home" by Kahikahealani Wight for all you beginners out there, because it is user friendly and comes with two CD's as well. I love it so much. Besides learning vocabulary, grammar, and all that, they have stories that talk about each of the mokupuni Hawai'i. I also enjoy learning all the mele in the puke because I love to sing. Maybe you do too?

Pick it up, ke 'olu'olu!

A hui hou!
                'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                  I recommend you try "Learn Hawaiian at Home" by Kahikahealani Wight for all you beginners out there, because it is user friendly and comes with two CD's as well. I love it so much. Besides learning vocabulary, grammar, and all that, they have stories that talk about each of the mokupuni Hawai'i. I also enjoy learning all the mele in the puke because I love to sing. Maybe you do too?

Pick it up, ke 'olu'olu!

A hui hou!

Speaking of that one, what resource should I use when I'm done with all the chapters in that one? I am interested in ones that come with CD's so I know whether I'm pronouncing everything right.
                  'Alika

Comment

Working...
                  X