Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andy
    I'll be silent for a week now, but only because I'm going on vacation to the Big Island. I promise to ask about their landfill problem.
    You're going to get an awful lot of strange looks doing that.

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
    Jeeze, if Craig wants to shop at Costco let the man shop at Costco. Beaker you've already pointed out that you aren't interested in our ultimate purpose as humans, contributing to the proliferation of the species, so go take a hike.
    My ultimate purpose as a human is the proliferation of other species - the ones with twitchy antennae, feathery wings, fuzzy ears, leafy branches and shiny flippers.

I don't think Craig and I really have a lot of disagreement about anything other than our preferred recreational activities.

Comment

• Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Originally posted by beaker
      You got Mr. Watanabe waxing nostalgic up there about saving money on everything under the Sun, yet you attack ME for wanting to save money on books?
      No. I attempted to point out your hypocrasy in taking cw to task for utilizing businesses and services that provide him with convenience and a better price, while arguing that you have the right to do the same with different businesses and services - you have failed to grasp that.

Even though your life is clearly different from his, you feel that you are in a position to tell him what his and his family's "needs" are, simply because they do not match those of your own life experience. That is why I consider you "self-centered"; you appear (by virtue of your postings) to be unwilling to accept that other people have needs, desires and interests that differ from yours, and that those differences do not make you superior to them.

Comment

• Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Leo, thank you.

I felt personally attacked by beaker's post, critical of big box shopping, questioning our priorities of needs versus wants.

As a widowed mother of four I look for bargains. Period. Costco for gas and groceries, etc.? Yes. Wal-Mart? Yes. Marukai? Yes. Foodland? Safeway? Yes. Ross? Payless Shoes? Yes.

As I posted on another thread, my eldest is now in the Army Guard so we have the extreme blessing of being able to shop on base. Will I do that as often as I can, perhaps denying some revenue to previously favored haunts? With a family of five and one income? Yes.
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
        X