Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

If you don't like a store, simply do not shop there. They will go away in no time if there are others that think like you. You do have some control over the situation, it is your dollar after all. No one is forcing you.

IF you frequent an establishment and then b*itch about it's existence, well, I don't know how else to say it any nicer, but that makes you a hypocrite. Straight up. PLUS you open the door for other establishments to move in that you probably are not going to like, based on the success of the first establishment you did not like but you threw down the cash anyways.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Funny this thread should come up as I live in a small town called Sunland, which is in the Los Angeles area, and the town is waging WAR against HOME DEPOT. 2 years ago K Mart here in town closed it's doors due to a downsizing, and Home Depot bought the leases on all their closed locations. The town known as Sunland / Tujunga waged a campaign from Hell against HD....see it here...
      www.no2homedepot.com
      They're still fighting, even tho' HD got it's permits to expand the property to fit it's needs. The major argument is that we DON'T NEED ANOTHER HARDWARE STORE IN THIS AREA...We have a HD 7 min away...we need a "general merchandise" store, more fitting of the community's needs....ie: Target...which is what everyone wants...as well as restaurants, which we really don't have here...just fast food. Alot of people here like the small town feel of the area, and want to preserve that, but there still needs to be a "one stop store" where they can buy all the things they need for their homes.

Also, Sunland is the first town in California to get a "McMansion Law" passed, regulating the size of a house built on a small lot...I think it's no bigger than 40% of the lot size, because people were building houses the size of apartment buildings, next to little bungalow and ranch homes, moving in their extended families, sometimes 2 or 3 families and the neighborhood got up in arms about it...for good reason...these things were fuglifying the neighborhood.

You see, not everyone in California likes the "californiaction" that's going on, and really, KIMO55's use of this term comes from a cheezy Red Hot Chili Peppers album title, when in fact, this kind of overdeveloping is not limited to California, nor was it started here.

This is happening all across the US.
      Last edited by tikiyaki; August 10, 2006, 04:11 PM.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
        really, KIMO55's use of this term comes from a cheezy Red Hot Chili Peppers album title,
        no. not at all.

not "really".
        at all.

that's like saying.
        "uh DUUUUUuuude... Jimmy Buffett inVENtuuuddd "weather is here, wish you were beautiful" when he WROTE that song. duuuude!"

whuuuuuuhhh boy!

we have been using this term for a looooonnnggg time before your pop culture contacts got ahold of it.
        sorry, kid.
        but there are more expansive realities that supercede yours... "Horatio"
        Last edited by kimo55; August 10, 2006, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I believe the term is "Californication", not "Californiaction". The former term is more, um, descriptive.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            speaking out so emphatically and reliably about people and business moving here when you moved here sounds more like, "Now that I've got my piece of paradise, I'll be damned if I let anyone else get in on the action."
            yea, yea, yea... we have all hear the NIMBY arguement.
            that ain't in my koko.

I come from the "I grew here. you flew here"
            faction.

Comment

Not PC at all today but I recall people using the term "haolefied" to describe the changes in people and things that reminded them of the mainland. I think the term "Californication"/"Californiacation" has been used only in the last 20-25 years?

Comment

to be exact;
                twenty six point three seven five.

Comment

Nah, I remember the "Don't Californicate Oregon" bumper stickers in the late '60s and early 70s, long before the Red Hot Chili Peppers were a gleam in their mamas eyes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

yea. i remember hearing about those stickers and slogans way back then too.
                    but ya know... the egocentrific young mind.. everything revolves around da young uns, eh...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      I come from the "I grew here. you flew here"
                      faction.
                      I come from the "I was born and raised here. You still flew here." faction.

Comment

what is the definition of island culture and definition of mainland? at first i thought about how much my family used to go to longs, but now we also go to costco or walmart. is longs local? did you know longs started in cali? i sometimes go to daiei too, but that was always japanese owned and just transfered to another japanese company.
                        is l&l local? the one on liliha is so dingy looking but the food is usually good. so are you saying that you will only eat at l&l, masu's, etc and never at jack in the box, spighetti factory, etc? where is the line that differentiates local vs mainland? cuz if so, im impressed, i wish i could only support longs or whereever, but i gotta stretch my dollar as far as it can go, and for as long as i can remember i have checked out the ads to see what was on sale at longs or daiei, or on mondays foodland vs safeway vs times. when i worked at longs, i couldnt belive that people would buy things off-sale, but im chinese like that.
                        would you commit to a 100 mile diet? (ie eating only food grown or raised within 100 miles?) it coudlnt get more local then that. i kind of want to try that, but i cant afford the stuff at the organic stores =p
                        im not attacking you, just curious.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          yea. i remember hearing about those stickers and slogans way back then too.
                          but ya know... the egocentrific young mind.. everything revolves around da young uns, eh...

Egocentric....jeez, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Besides, how young do you think I am anyways ?

Also, the fact that you can quote Jimmy Buffett lyrics frightens me more than anything else. ;-)

And while you type away on that Apple G-whatever you're using, consider the place it comes from...Cupertino...CALIFORNIA. So I'm guessing that the Mainland a-holes should keep exporting all the stuff you need to live, so long as they never set foot on your precious rock. THAT smells like teen spirit to me.

Either way, the point I was trying to make is, you're not the only one who is disgusted by the homogenization of your home town. It's happening everywhere, and hey I agree Hawaii has much to lose by this kind of thing, and I would hate to see that happen there.

Besides, if you read the rest of my post, you'd see that as a member of the community, you CAN get proactive and maybe keep some of that stuff from happening.
                          Last edited by tikiyaki; August 11, 2006, 06:16 AM.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            Nah, I remember the "Don't Californicate Oregon" bumper stickers in the late '60s and early 70s, long before the Red Hot Chili Peppers were a gleam in their mamas eyes.
                            All but one of the RHCPs are well over forty.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                              Egocentric....jeez, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Besides, how young do you think I am anyways ?
                              ethnocentric, i meant.

don't know how young, but you appear to be quite young.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                                All but one of the RHCPs are well over forty.
                                Yes, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers formed in 1984 (well after the slogans were already in existence) and the "Californication" album in question was released just 7 years ago, in 1999. (See this link for more info.) So the point stands that the slogan is from way before their time.

[/thread drift]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X