Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Yes, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers formed in 1984 (well after the slogans were already in existence) and the "Californication" album in question was released just 7 years ago, in 1999. (See this link for more info.) So the point stands that the slogan is from way before their time.

[/thread drift]
    I stand corrected. I grew up East Coast, so I never heard that term before.

KIMO...I was born less than a year beore the arrival of The Beatles to America...so, most likely not as young as you think. ;-)

And this "californication" or "mainlandization" "Big Boxation" , whatever of the Islands is a bummer, and even though I don't live there, I still empathize.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

It's happening in reverse: All kinds of Island Grill or Hawaiian BBQ restaurants popping up in California. Now I can get Mahi Mahi with two scoops rice, macoroni salad and kim-chee for lunch.

I first seen 'Don't Californicate Oregon' bumper stickers in the early 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
        It's happening in reverse: All kinds of Island Grill or Hawaiian BBQ restaurants popping up in California. Now I can get Mahi Mahi with two scoops rice, macoroni salad and kim-chee for lunch.

I first seen 'Don't Californicate Oregon' bumper stickers in the early 80's.
        Maybe we should make bumber stickers... "Don't hawaiifornicate California" and "haoles only".

I like those Hawaiian BBQ places tho' :-)

Comment

love how they call it that mainlandside.
          and don't forget to wear your "Hawaiian shirt" at the Hawaiian barbeque.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            If you want to blame someone for the "Hawaiian BBQ" name, blame L&L's Eddie Flores. He changed the name to make his restaurants more recognizable to all the haoles on the mainland... the former Hawaii residents would come no matter what it was called.

Comment

yes. I am aware.

"blame'.
              hmmm..
              no, not interested.

still is entertaining.

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              I come from the "I was born and raised here. You still flew here." faction.
              yes. again. we are aware.

and you are doing very well representing the "born and raised here" faction.

Comment

I come from the "I grew here. you flew here"
                faction.
                You seem to feel the need to remind people; so do I.

Comment

when it's apropos the subject. I don't wanna hit people over the head widdit...

bottom line, ainokea, really. I am happy to have anyone think. "eh haoleboy. he fahnee for someone who been here just a couple years."

in fact that just may be my next tact... yeah. a different angle.
                  why not.

Comment

and don't forget to wear your "Hawaiian shirt" at the Hawaiian barbeque.

Well, the food is supposed (yes, SUPPOSED to) to represent Hawaiian style cooking....aka plate lunch style...

You call Italian Food "Italian Food" at an Italian restaurant in Hawaii, but in Italy it's just a "restaurant" . Same thing. Sheesh.

Same goes for Chinese Food in China, Japanese Food in Japan, German food in Germany etc, on and on.

People like food from other cultures and places....Hawaiian food is no exception.

And also, there are LOTS of different styles of BBQ in the US...Texas, Memphis etc. All very different from Hawaiian. But, you know that already.

By the way...No Hawaiian shirts mentioned anywhere.
                    Last edited by tikiyaki; August 11, 2006, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                      People like food from other cultures and places....Hawaiian food is no exception.
                      nooo... that's an exception. most folks outside of Polynesia don't like Hawaiian food. Not that they have opportunity to try it. but if they do... nah. no like.
                      Last edited by kimo55; August 11, 2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

nooo... that's an exception. most folks outside of Polynesia don't like Hawaiian food. Not that they have opportunity to try it. but if they do... nah. no like.
                        I don't know man, I think that's a pretty big generalization. Maybe people are not exposed to it on a big scale, but those Hawaiian BBQ places are popping up all over. I'm not sure they represent Polynesian Food correctly, but people seem to be going for it.

Also...how about some good examples of Polynesian food. I know Kalua Pork (sp?) is the popular one , and of course there is Poi...but those are standards served at the tourist luaus.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                          I don't know man, I think that's a pretty big generalization. Maybe people are not exposed to it on a big scale, but those Hawaiian BBQ places are popping up all over.
                          it is a small generalization. first off 'Hawaiian bbq' is a new label. secondly, it is not "Hawaiian food."
                          we went thru this many times in previous threads.

Comment

it is a small generalization. first off 'Hawaiian bbq' is a new label. secondly, it is not "Hawaiian food."
                            we went thru this many times in previous threads.
                            SO is pasta and pizza for Italian food, but it still is Italian food.
                            I can guarantee you that the Italian food you eat at a restaurant and consider Italian Food is not like the stuff my mom or grandma used to make.

Now you're mincing words. "Hawaiian Food" , "Hawaiian Cusine"
                            A new label maybe, but does ANY of it represent local Hawaiian style cooking ? Just a question...

And if not... what are examples REAL Hawaiian cuisine ?

Well, Maybe someone of actual Hawaiian descent would be the better one to answer that question.

Comment

like I said we covered allll that previously.

what we are doing here is re-writing a newbie's intro to Hawaii, over and over.

Comment

like I said we covered allll that previously.

what we are doing here is re-writing a newbie's intro to Hawaii, over and over.
                                Right...the usual standard issue condescending reply complete with all the usual slew of insults.

Comment

Working...
                                X