Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Wow I guess it's the sofa tonight Kimo?
    Not necessary, he finally found his own place.

Originally posted by kimo55
    jeez. to be shat upon so vehemently.
    for my discussions and points of view
    maybe palolo was right.
    Hey Joe. ya might have yer wish after all.

not fun. not fun anymore.
    Shat upon? Are you kidding me?

You constantly insult me and other people from "the mainland" (whatever you think that is). You're rude to practically every newbie. You happily slurp up meals and drinks at those terrible mainland chain restaurants you so detest, then you scream in HT about how much you hate them, and *I'm* shitting on *you*?

Damn right it's not fun.

Comment

Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Craig: thanks for your eloquence.
      Maddie: thanks for your perspective.
      Kimo: thanks for your passion.

You all present different aspects in your postings that are accurate, educational, informative and enlightening.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
        Nobody I know on the mainland wants strip malls, either.
        Sadly, I do know them. A lot of people in my home town (Dallas) are only too happy to see the empty spaces fill up with new restaurants and stores. I mean they spend a couple of minutes lamenting the fact that "this used to be an open field!!" but then it's on to loving the convenience and cheap prices.

I mean heck, even I'm guilty of this a bit and I really dislike the box stores and strip malls. We were excited to see a New Seasons go in down the street. They are a Portland-based chain that sells mostly locally farmed produce, and they list the origin of all their products so you can go on the "100 mile diet" if you like. But somewhere in the founders' eyes you know there's the twinkle of national expansion. It's a good business right now (and relatively small), but it's a glass and concrete box store like any other. Our local department store chain (Fred Meyer) was like that too until they got bought by Kroger.

I think we're seeing capitalism at work here. On the whole people seem to want cheap prices and convenience more than they want to keep their good ol' days, their open spaces, and their countryside. The people with money are giving it to them. If people didn't want them, these stores would go out of business. It reminds me a little bit of turning a kid loose in a candy store (or some adults I know for that matter ). It's gorge, gorge, gorge, and I think we're collectively starting to get a bellyache now...

Then again maybe it's just progress and I'm one of the "oldies" now...

Comment

So when did Island Culture became an adversary to Mainland chains? Who knows...which store was the first from the Mainland to start business here in Hawaii? .
          The first Mainland chain store to open in Hawai'i was Piggly Wiggly Store in 1928. The store was located at Waialae and 10th Aves. in Honolulu.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            The first Mainland chain store to open in Hawai'i was Piggly Wiggly Store in 1928. The store was located at Waialae and 10th Aves. in Honolulu.

Miulang
            Ho man we had a Piggly Wiggly? Wow. I gotta ask my dad as he musta been 9-years old at that time.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Would I be happy with National Dollar Store, Ben Franklin, Kress Store, Peggy & Johnny's, Ooka Supermarket, TK Supermarket, Noda Market and all the little mom and pops that used to exist?
              This is funny - Kress used to be one of the biggest chain stores. Ben Franklin was likewise a national chain. In 2080 they'll be waxing nostalgic about "little hometown Wal*Marts of yesteryear".
              Last edited by beaker; August 14, 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                This is funny - Kress used to be one of the biggest chain stores.
                And if you go to the old Kress building in downtown Seattle...you'll find my office.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  And if you go to the old Kress building in downtown Seattle...you'll find my office.
                  I have a nice book about the architecture of Kress stores. They were long gone and forgotten in most places by the time I was a kid - the Hilo building is the only one I've ever seen. We had lots of Ben Franklins in Nebraska in the 1970's, though.

Comment

And if you go to the old Kress Building in downtown Hilo...you'll find one of my boy's public charter school.

Comment

And if you go to the old Kress Building in downtown Hilo...you'll find one of my boy's public charter school.
                      Isn't there a movie theatre in the space, too?

Comment

Isn't there a movie theatre in the space, too?
                        Dollar (or half-dollar) theater! Woo! It must be subsidized by the gubmint, somehow...

Comment

Wow Kress' in Kaneohe was where my mom and dad met... she used to work there.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                            Dollar (or half-dollar) theater! Woo! It must be subsidized by the gubmint, somehow...
                            No not subsidized at all. I believe it's a Wallace theater (I could be wrong) but their matinees are only 50-cents and that's for current releases! Can't beat that deal.

Comment

I guess I ran Kimo off.

Speak freely, my people!

Comment

I guess I ran Kimo off.
                                Aw, ya big meanie.
                                Speak freely, my people!
                                Will you be taking a new screen-name, one that blends MadAzza with Moses? MosAzza? MadOzzes?

Comment

Working...
                                X