King and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King and I

So this Hawaii Opera Theater show has come and gone, but I still see letters to the editor (mainly in the Advertiser) fawning about how good it was.

It wasn't.

It was swill. Gawdawful swill.

I hadn't commented about it, hoping it would fade away... but it didn't.

It won't go away.

People keep saying it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Where do I start? The microphones? Why was the cast using microphones? I thought this was opera... (oh yeah, they're doing Broadway...)

The sound system was complete garbage. It sounded like they were all singing and talking through AM radios.

The singing (aside from Anna the teacher) was weak, and the acting was often marginal at best.

I was ready to walk out as soon as intermission came along, but decided not to since I had plunked down $75 per seat to see it, and hoped it would get better.

The uncle Tom's cabin dance scene was great, though, and I'm glad I stuck around for that.

Overall it wasn't worth what I paid, and frankly I was a little mortified that HOT was putting on Broadway shows instead of opera. Last year's Pirates of Penzance was a great show, and I could see amplifying Frank DeLima, but I would have thought that everyone involved in this year's show could sing well enough that they wouldn't need microphones.

It will be interesting to see what materializes next summer. The jury's still out on whether or not I'll be going back. I expected a lot more from HOT considering how great the productions are during the regular season.

Others that I talked to also thought the show was bad. They too are considering avoiding the summer shows.

I'm not sure what the point of the summer shows are, now. Last year I thought it was a good way for those who are unfamiliar with opera to get their feet wet without plowing through six hours of Wagner or something. And Gilbert and Sullivan-esque operattas can achieve just that. But this venture into Broadway was a little hard to take.

Any other thoughts?

Re: King and I

was laughing all the way until $75.
    then shock and dismay. and felt yer pain.
    wow. too bad.

Comment

Please forgive my ignorance, but...does HOT usually do "O"? Opera, that is? And was their production of "The King & I" a special (like, one show a season) Broadway-style thing to draw in the folks who would otherwise run away from an "opera"?

Comment

Yes, Leo, Hawaii Opera Theater usually does actual opera, and does it quite well. The season usually is three operas long, or at least has been since I've been going. It's a good company. My mom, a high soprano, sang with the Miami Opera (long before I was born). She and Dad always had season tix to the Seattle Opera when I was growing up; he, a onetime jazz musician, was pleased when I was old enough to take his seat occasionally. And so was I.

Mom and I agree, the Hawaii opera company really is quite good. It's a lovely way to spend an evening, and we often run into Dick, all dressed up in a nice suit to complement his facial nuts and bolts, which delighted my mom the first time she saw him. There's a decent selection of wine, beer and liquor available before the first act and at halftime. It's a lot of fun.

Two thumbs up for HOT!

Comment

I am not an opera devotee so was quite excited about HOTs 'King and I'. I don't share your lack of enthusiasm, Dick, but there were issues I had with it.

First of all...I LOVED the movie. As a young teen I saw it 3 times! For me, Yul Brynner owns the role of the King. I can be happy with nothing less and ordered the DVD the day after I saw King at the Concert Hall.

I found the acting to be just fine. Richard Chamberlain did a wonderful job...however...for me, he just wasn't believable in the role of the King; an ethnicity issue, I'm sure. I had some 'believability' issues with a couple of other roles as well altho' I was comfortable with the acting.

The Royal Children were adorable. Uncle Tom's dance was terrific. The sound sucked, big time. I was proud as a mama hen of Jordan Segundo who, after all, was the reason I was there.

Had I paid more for my ticket (it was NOT comped), would I have been more disappointed? I don't know for sure but I don't think so. I've talked with many people who saw it and, for the most part, half feel the way you do and half feel the way I do! Maybe it depended on the individual performance. <shrug>

Comment

Hey. I woulda paid senny fie to see Tom Moffatt dance!

Comment

Yeah, I've been a season subscriber to HOT for many years, and I (like Madazza) go with my mom (who still rolls her eyes at the "nuts and bolts"). I always enjoy the productions (even Eugene Onegin... which was, ahem, a challenge). HOT is a really good company... and the halftime cocktail pre-orders rule. I''ve never understood why people stand in line at intermission to buy a drink...

I thought Chamberlain did okay, and his waltz scene with Anna in the second act was pretty good for someone his age...

I also think Segundo could have a future in these types of Broadway shows. He did pretty good, but he (along with others) seemed to have to hold back because of those damn microphones, which in turn I think really hampered the whole thing.

Comment

I didn't think it was the bestest production ever but I enjoyed it. I saw the movie ages ago (but somehow do not recall the King ordering the two lovers to be burned outside Anna's window, as the program notes). The children were adorable. I recall hearing Chamberlain saying that he was the last pick for the role. He wasn't my idea of "the King" but I did enjoy most of his performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                  I recall hearing Chamberlain saying that he was the last pick for the role. He wasn't my idea of "the King" but I did enjoy most of his performance.
                  He's a pretty good queen, though.

Har, har!

Comment

[...]I recall hearing Chamberlain saying that he was the last pick for the role. He wasn't my idea of "the King" but I did enjoy most of his performance.
                    Cary Tagawa was originally on tap for the King but had to pull out due to a movie, I think. Chamberlain came on board at the last minute.

What a wonderful experience for our local actors, esp. the younger ones, to work with 2 such seasoned actors, including Jan Maxwell. Most of the children who appeared in the production have been thru my office since then. All have shared their enthusiasm with me...not to mention it will look very good on their resumes!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Har, har!
                      that's not funny!
                      he actually DOES take pride in that.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Har, har!
                        His sexual orientation has nothing to do with his acting or this role and should not make him the target of derision or mockery.

Comment

well, yes, yer right adri, but we were referring to his wardrobe orientation.
                          (didja see his latest tiara/crown thing?)

Comment

His sexual orientation has nothing to do with his acting or this role and should not make him the target of derision or mockery.
                            It was a pun. It wasn't derision or mockery. Only a homophobe would even think such a thing. Do you have a problem with gays? Richard Chamberlain is out of that stupid closet, he doesn't have a problem with being gay, and I don't think you or anyone else should have a problem with it, either.

Jesus, what year is this? Do some people still think homosexuality is something to be ashamed of? That's so sad.
                            Last edited by MadAzza; August 13, 2006, 11:37 PM.

Comment

I enjoyed the King & I far more the second time I saw it. I saw it on the opening night and again a week later during the Saturday matinee. I wonder if it's typical to have a production improve as time goes on. I can't put my finger on what was different, but something was. I loved the music, the scenery, the costumes, and the adorable children! Of course, I could be a little biased since my daughter was one of the royal children!! Those kids were awesome and amazingly hard workers.
                              Originally posted by tutusue
                              What a wonderful experience for our local actors, esp. the younger ones, to work with 2 such seasoned actors, including Jan Maxwell. Most of the children who appeared in the production have been thru my office since then. All have shared their enthusiasm with me...not to mention it will look very good on their resumes!
                              Jan, Jordan, and Kristian were wonderful with the children! They always had time to talk with them. The kids got a big kick out of calling Richard "dad." It was our first experience with a production and my daughter is certainly eager to do it again. Now she'd like to audition for Annie and be in commercials. Is this how it all begins? Just gotta love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X