King and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: King and I

I've directed four plays and every rehearsal and performance is different from every other. Usually, what one lacks on one night is made up for by something different that another performance lacks, so it all evens out, but there are SO many things that influence the effectiveness of a show that you just never know. I've seen houses two-thirds empty that for some reason inspired the actors to heights they never duplicated; then I've seen the same actors in front of wonderfully supportive audiences totally leave it all backstage.

Of course, these were high schoolers, so that comes with the territory, but still. You just never know. That's why live theater will always be more intimate, more immediate, and in my opinion more breathtaking than television or film.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by lelei
      The kids got a big kick out of calling Richard "dad." It was our first experience with a production and my daughter is certainly eager to do it again. Now she'd like to audition for Annie and be in commercials. Is this how it all begins? Just gotta love it.
      Wow, how great for your daughter! Chamberlain is practically a legend. She will have that experience with her for the rest of her life, lucky kid!

Sounds like she's got the bug!

Comment

Originally posted by dick
        ... and the halftime cocktail pre-orders rule. I''ve never understood why people stand in line at intermission to buy a drink...

I also think Segundo could have a future in these types of Broadway shows. He did pretty good, but he (along with others) seemed to have to hold back because of those damn microphones, which in turn I think really hampered the whole thing.
        What's this about pre-orders?!?!?! The reason people stand in line is because, like me, they didn't know about pre-orders! Tell me more!!!

As for watching "The King and I," I did go, but other than the one dance number, I too felt my money would have been better spent elsewhere. I went to see "The King and I" out of curiosity, having never seen any of the movies or anything. I also agree with your opinion of Segundo.

HOT's opera productions are much more enjoyable, though my boyfriend uses the "opportunity" of going to the opera as a chance to get a good nap in...as he does also at the symphony and other productions I drag him to. In fact, sometimes at the symphony concerts, I'll turn my attention from the music briefly to count how many of the husbands around me are nodding off under the cover of darkness while their wives are listening with rapt attention.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          well, yes, yer right adri, but we were referring to his wardrobe orientation.
          (didja see his latest tiara/crown thing?)
          Nope, I hadn't seen him or any pictures of him in years and years before this production.

MadAzza: Interesting deflection technique but somewhat overkill if all you meant was that wasn't what you intended to convey.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
            MadAzza: Interesting deflection technique but somewhat overkill if all you meant was that wasn't what you intended to convey.
            If that was what I meant, that was what I would have written.

AbsoluteChaos: Yes, you can pre-order and prepay for your halftime beverages before the first act, and avoid the lines later. They put all the pre-ordered drinks outside on a table and it's an honor system -- everyone is trusted to pick up their own drinks.

A couple of years ago my mom and I misunderstood each other. We both ordered drinks for the intermission, instead of just one of us doing it. I ordered two drinks, and she ordered two drinks. So we had four drinks waiting, and she only wanted one, so ...

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              A couple of years ago my mom and I misunderstood each other. We both ordered drinks for the intermission, instead of just one of us doing it. I ordered two drinks, and she ordered two drinks. So we had four drinks waiting, and she only wanted one, so ...
              Most fitting if you were attending Verdi's "La Traviata." That work contains the best operatic drinking song, a/k/a/ "Brindisi." (Trust me, most of you know this song, just not necessarily by name.)

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                What's this about pre-orders?!?!?! The reason people stand in line is because, like me, they didn't know about pre-orders! Tell me more!!!
                Yeah, go to the cocktail stand outside the front door before the show, order and pay, noting whether you'll pick up on the Ewa or Diamond Head lanai, and voila, like magic, when intermission comes along, your cocktails are waiting. You can order ahead for both intermissions should there be two.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                  Yeah, go to the cocktail stand outside the front door before the show, order and pay, noting whether you'll pick up on the Ewa or Diamond Head lanai, and voila, like magic, when intermission comes along, your cocktails are waiting. You can order ahead for both intermissions should there be two.
                  Thanks! Appreciate all the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X