Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Telcom

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    now, can we just get rid of ALL the darn phone books?
    I understand there's a bill going though now that seeks to require that phone books be requested. I know what I've seen is that a pile of books lands by the mailbox and then sits there for months until we finally have to have them hauled off. There's what, 3 different phone books now? Enough!!!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I wished Hawaiian Telecom would start publishing the directory mainly on the internet or at least a CD as an option to the paper directory.
    I think they do have a CD, but you may have to buy that one. I'll have to check.

Edit: I found this site: http://www.htyellowpages.com/

I did see a reference to CD-ROM, but I think it's aimed at businesses.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; February 10, 2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

=GeckoGeek;184243]I understand there's a bill going though now that seeks to require that phone books be requested. I know what I've seen is that a pile of books lands by the mailbox and then sits there for months until we finally have to have them hauled off. There's what, 3 different phone books now? Enough!!!

yep. heard about this.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        I understand there's a bill going though now that seeks to require that phone books be requested. I know what I've seen is that a pile of books lands by the mailbox and then sits there for months until we finally have to have them hauled off. There's what, 3 different phone books now? Enough!!!

I think they do have a CD, but you may have to buy that one. I'll have to check.

Edit: I found this site: http://www.htyellowpages.com/

I did see a reference to CD-ROM, but I think it's aimed at businesses.
        I'd like to see the entire white/green/yellow pages on one disk. Or at least three separate disks. I would imagine that making an optical disk whether it's one or three is a lot cheaper than printing two (for each island/county) telephone books. Plus you can always update the media if it's online as opposed to disk or book.

Can you imagine if it's online and allowed to be copied to disk or some kind of removable media? Then Hawaiian Telecom can make changes to businesses and residents that hook up new or change existing telephone services mid year instead of waiting for the next published book. Plus if there's a mistake in your business phone number, it can be changed immediately and all Hawaiian Telcom customer's would get the heads up on a group email broadcast. Then you simply reburn another disk or reload the updated information onto your flash drive or SD card.

Think about all the paper saved as well as distribution costs for delivery. Heck a thousand disks weigh a lot less than a thousand telephone books and takes less warehouse space to store them than books.

I went to that link and it does have an online search for both yellow and white. I think that online search is pretty good.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 11, 2008, 09:39 AM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There's one BIG reason why phone companies still print a yellow pages.

it still makes LOTS of money. To advertisers, it's a guaranteed way to be put in the hands of everyone that has a phone line (land line).

Many people that have high speed internet may think otherwise, but there are more people that don't have internet than do...

and the stats for usage data favors the printed book as well

"US adults referenced them over 15 billion times last year. And that’s just the print versions. 90% of all adults reference them at least once a year, 75% in a typical month, and 50+% on average month."

I agree as for me it's a waste... but the money and business behind it make it why you can't find readily easy how to opt out of receiving one (which you can if you call the phone company)

If they make it "easy" for people to opt out, they will not be able to support their usage data and will start losing business (the printed version). right now they make money from both the printed AND online listings. Why would they want to get rid of half of that income?
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...ou-dial-first/

(808)

Comment

Working...
            X