X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Telcom

Originally posted by lavagal
    any comments on the photos?
    Sorry for the delay, I had computer issues.
    Mahalo for the pictures. I'll forward them to some people I know in HawTel.
    It is in horrible condition indeed.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      [IMG]Hawn Tel Pair Gain device on Kaumakani Street in Hawaii Kai that has been damaged for about seven months.[/IMG]

The close up, which shows my keys, is of this disintegrating putty that was put all around the top of a pipe. It is now all crumbly and I think it will soon allow the lines enclosed to be compromised some.

The back story as I know it: On a Saturday evening back in February or March, at about 10 p.m., a car hit this pair gain device. No one reported it to Hawn Tel for who knows how long. We reported, after being on HOLD HELL for a damn long time when you're calling from your cellular--that we had no phone service on Monday or Tuesday. They said we'd have it by that Friday...well the guys were working there that Friday, and I hollered out of the van if they were checking my line. I gave them my number and they called me from the mess about 45 minutes later. What if I hadn't done that? We'd STILL be paying for no service?

This might not look so bad, but it is a symbol of how this utility provider is letting down its customers. And in a way, they are letting down their employees, too. This is not a good image and it's the "people" who are the face of a company, whether it's the only cable or telephone company shoved down our throats or not. Well, that's my feeling about it anyway!

@

That's not a pair gain hut. RT's are A LOT bigger, they are full of electronics and are usually housed in a small brick building or fully encased metal RT (about 5ft tall x 6ft length x 3ft wide)

those pictures are just of a typical 'splice' where underground cable runs and at some points come to ground to be spliced...
      Last edited by LocalMotion; October 6, 2006, 09:54 AM.
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
        That's not a pair gain hut. RT's are A LOT bigger, they are full of electronics and are usually housed in a small brick building or fully encased metal RT (about 5ft tall x 6ft length x 3ft wide)

those pictures are just of a typical 'splice' where underground cable runs and at some points come to ground to be spliced...
        Mahalo for the clarification, I thought it was a RT too ?
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
          Or just get two batteries and swamp one for the other when one dies (my cell never goes down unless I swamp batteries)
          If power is out for a prolonged period, the cell tower dies.

Comment

Hawaiian Telcom has a new television ad.

"The following is an actual emergency call from a cable digital phone subscriber to a 911 operator during a recent power outage," it says. Followed by ten seconds of silence.

As enjoyable as it was, I have to say as a HiTel customer that they've got a long way to go in getting their own house in order before they can take cheap shots at Oceanic. Recall the recent botched upgrade that seemed perfectly timed to follow Ann Nishida's proclamation that HiTel did a bang-up job during the blackout. In Hawaii, it seems, schadenfreude is quickly followed by bachi!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              As enjoyable as it was, I have to say as a HiTel customer that they've got a long way to go in getting their own house in order before they can take cheap shots at Oceanic. Recall the recent botched upgrade that seemed perfectly timed to follow Ann Nishida's proclamation that HiTel did a bang-up job during the blackout. In Hawaii, it seems, schadenfreude is quickly followed by bachi!
              Well when you compare the problems both HawTel and Oceanic have experienced, HawTel's are mostly customer service related versus an actual service issue which Oceanic had.

Yes, 25K HawTel DSL subscribers lost their connection due to faulty router upgrade. But these things cannot be foreseen and happen to everyone,including Oceanic. The islandwide power outage, although you can't predict when it will happen, should've been planned for by Oceanic. Oceanic decided to do the cheap and easy route and not get permission for carrier grade service (Like HawTel has). Carrier grade service requires redundant power backup.

So in short, I'm happy to see HawTel fight back against Oceanic. It well within their right to do so.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

See? No sooner had I posted about HiTel's new TV ad, gloating about having access to 911 during a power outage, did Joe Moore report that HPD was having problems with its 911 system, and that HiTel was working on the problem.

I'm all for competition. But HiTel seems to excel mostly at shooting itself in the foot.

Comment

I agree with Ryan's assessment about this commercial. Why? Because I guess the "parts" are still not in. Remember my earlier post about a damaged Hawaiian Tel transfer point in Hawaii Kai? This has been the landmark for about 10 months now. Them thar are some sloooowwww booaaatsss full of that special technical quipment!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...1&postcount=12
                  Last edited by lavagal; October 30, 2006, 06:13 PM. Reason: to insert previous post #
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    See? No sooner had I posted about HiTel's new TV ad, gloating about having access to 911 during a power outage, did Joe Moore report that HPD was having problems with its 911 system, and that HiTel was working on the problem.
                    The last time that happened it was a problem with the UPS supplying power to telephone interface at the police station.

That being said, I'm sure you'd just hate if Hawaiian Telcom didn't exist and our only choice was Oceanic Time Warner . Even though they've done things like screw up our latest phone bill among other things, I'm perfectly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. As I would hate if I ever had to go back to OTW.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

I agree with Ryan's assessment about this commercial. Why? Because I guess the "parts" are still not in. Remember my earlier post about a damaged Hawaiian Tel transfer point in Hawaii Kai? This has been the landmark for about 10 months now. Them thar are some sloooowwww booaaatsss full of that special technical quipment!

*sigh*, I'll try to find out whats up ?
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                        TThat being said, I'm sure you'd just hate if Hawaiian Telcom didn't exist and our only choice was Oceanic Time Warner.
                        Aaron, like I said, I love competition, and I'm glad HiTel is around to keep Oceanic nervous. If I had to sell my soul to one devil or the other, it'd probably be HiTel. I'm always looking at alternatives to Oceanic's cable TV service, just to get away from them completely.

What I have an issue with is that HiTel is trying to be oh-so-cool and pointing fingers at others, when they haven't yet proven that they can keep their own house in order. They probably don't need to run those "forgive us, we're trying" ads anymore, but it's a bit early for them to get cocky.

Comment

Fore reasons I already mentioned, I don't think its too early for them to be cocky.Its not like HawTel is promoting their sterling customer service in their ads . Then I would have a problem with it. Since it relates to a head to head service comparison, I don't see a problem.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

For anyone that is interested, I got word this evening that this pair gain device is being repaired as we speak. Full repairs will be completed by January 2007.I've already let Lavagal know about this also.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Telcom: The Transition

Today's SB has a story about Hawai'i Tel dumping BearingPoint (the cause of so many of their transition woes) in favor of Accenture (formerly Arthur Andersen). Let's see if Accenture can do better than BearingPoint did. The wonder of it all is why it took so long for Hawai'i Tel to change vendors...it's been what? More than a year since the transition? Accenture's consultants are top grade, but can their other contract people actually do the work?

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Telcom: The Transition

FYI, it looks like Hawaiian Tel is finally retiring the old Fujitsu DSLAM's. So if you are still using a Fujitsu DSL modem, it may be time to upgrade.

http://www.flex.com/net_status/

10 January, Wednesday del
                                Old FUJITSU ADSL Equipment Being Retired
                                Waikiki C.O. is the First to Go

Following is from HawTelecom:

> Also heads Up: We will be shutting down all Fujitsu DSLAMS at the
                                > Waikiki Central Office and moving the customers to the ATM Network. You
                                > have 5 Customers in that CO. (Me or my assitant will email you with the
                                > information). Those customers will need to be supplied Westel Modems.
                                > The date and time will be forthcoming.

So good news is that all our Waikiki ADSL users will be on ATM/Westells @ 3Mbps. Bad news is that your internet will be interrupted.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X