Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawaiian Telcom

Default Re: Hawaiian Telcom

Quote Originally Posted by Konaguy View Post
    TThat being said, I'm sure you'd just hate if Hawaiian Telcom didn't exist and our only choice was Oceanic Time Warner.
    Aaron, like I said, I love competition, and I'm glad HiTel is around to keep Oceanic nervous. If I had to sell my soul to one devil or the other, it'd probably be HiTel. I'm always looking at alternatives to Oceanic's cable TV service, just to get away from them completely.

What I have an issue with is that HiTel is trying to be oh-so-cool and pointing fingers at others, when they haven't yet proven that they can keep their own house in order. They probably don't need to run those "forgive us, we're trying" ads anymore, but it's a bit early for them to get cocky.

Fore reasons I already mentioned, I don't think its too early for them to be cocky.Its not like HawTel is promoting their sterling customer service in their ads . Then I would have a problem with it. Since it relates to a head to head service comparison, I don't see a problem.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    I agree with Ryan's assessment about this commercial. Why? Because I guess the "parts" are still not in. Remember my earlier post about a damaged Hawaiian Tel transfer point in Hawaii Kai? This has been the landmark for about 10 months now. Them thar are some sloooowwww booaaatsss full of that special technical quipment!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...1&postcount=12
    For anyone that is interested, I got word this evening that this pair gain device is being repaired as we speak. Full repairs will be completed by January 2007.I've already let Lavagal know about this also.
    The Kona Blog

Default Re: Hawaiian Telcom: The Transition

Today's SB has a story about Hawai'i Tel dumping BearingPoint (the cause of so many of their transition woes) in favor of Accenture (formerly Arthur Andersen). Let's see if Accenture can do better than BearingPoint did. The wonder of it all is why it took so long for Hawai'i Tel to change vendors...it's been what? More than a year since the transition? Accenture's consultants are top grade, but can their other contract people actually do the work?

Miulang

Default Re: Hawaiian Telcom: The Transition

FYI, it looks like Hawaiian Tel is finally retiring the old Fujitsu DSLAM's. So if you are still using a Fujitsu DSL modem, it may be time to upgrade.

http://www.flex.com/net_status/

10 January, Wednesday del
    Old FUJITSU ADSL Equipment Being Retired
    Waikiki C.O. is the First to Go

Following is from HawTelecom:

> Also heads Up: We will be shutting down all Fujitsu DSLAMS at the
    > Waikiki Central Office and moving the customers to the ATM Network. You
    > have 5 Customers in that CO. (Me or my assitant will email you with the
    > information). Those customers will need to be supplied Westel Modems.
    > The date and time will be forthcoming.

So good news is that all our Waikiki ADSL users will be on ATM/Westells @ 3Mbps. Bad news is that your internet will be interrupted.
    The Kona Blog

Has anyone else been getting odd bills from Hawaiian Telcom recently (last month and this month for me)? Last month's bill showed enough credit so I didn't have to pay last month and still had $6 more in credit (and I didn't double pay). This month's bill shows the $6 credit being applied but Hawaiian Telcom back chanrged me for something from April of last year to this month so my bill is almost double my normal monthly bill but nothing on the bill indicates that they think my account is overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Adri View Post
    Has anyone else been getting odd bills from Hawaiian Telcom recently (last month and this month for me)? Last month's bill showed enough credit so I didn't have to pay last month and still had $6 more in credit (and I didn't double pay). This month's bill shows the $6 credit being applied but Hawaiian Telcom back chanrged me for something from April of last year to this month so my bill is almost double my normal monthly bill but nothing on the bill indicates that they think my account is overdue.
    I got a "final notice" a few months back that scared the heck out of me until I realized I had paid consistently up to that point. Took to the HT store where they said it was a mistake. Whew! But I pity the poor C/S folks who had to answer that question ad nauseam all day.

Yep! There's been a problem for a couple of months. Last month my bill was triple the normal amount. This month, about $8. more than normal. Htel told me to give it 2-3 months to get it straightened out. I asked them how many people were affected the same way 'cuz 2-3 months with that kind of overbilling can net Htel a hefty amount in interest earnings!

Okay, hawaiian Telcom was the topic of discussion at a recent Girl Scout meeting. Seems people are way over charged, and way undercharged! How's it going with any of you that are still with them?

Seems one household that has bare bones, as she says they dropped call waiting, conference, caller ID, all of the good stuff and have only the basic phone, and they got bills for five a month, eight, then credited back more than five the third month, then billed two and three dollars for a couple of mos...actually being credited back some of that eight, and last month I kid you not....73 cents or something like that!

GOOD GRIEF....no wonder they have money problems! how can any human looking at their bills miss seeing that the most basic service must be at least.....a dozen dollars?? then some tax, etc??

Shaking my head still, in disbelief.

Exclamation Re: Hawaiian Telcom

Oh boy!
    I've sure been lucky with the internet connection and my bills...
    All's good here.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

I haven't had a problem but then I haven't really been watching my bills. I know they've suffered a lot with the vendor they had that was doing the billing.

Due to my move I terminated my office phone service beginning 6/14 AND changed my address to where they could send the final bill. I just received a bill for service beginning 6/14 thru 7/13!!! It was sent to the office (old!) address! And, because it's automatically deducted from my checking account I can't just ignore it as the Haw Tel rep told me to do! I'll now have to monitor that situation as it'll probably take a few months to clear it up!

You CAN dispute the charge with your bank. Once you do that, the bank will have you probably sign a form stating why you are disputing it. Then THEY will contact Hawn Tel and request the funds back. At least this is what happened when I had a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    You CAN dispute the charge with your bank. Once you do that, the bank will have you probably sign a form stating why you are disputing it. Then THEY will contact Hawn Tel and request the funds back. At least this is what happened when I had a similar problem.
    Thanks, Fran. Good info. I'm actually keeping the old number and it's morphing into a new service...which didn't show on the bill, either! I'll give Haw Tel a couple of months to get on track as I do like casting their commercials. Great ad agency! Fun jobs!

Exclamation Re: Hawaiian Telcom

There were massive layoffs. Then Ron Mizutani left. Now, CEO Mike Ruley has been sent packing. Considering his paycheck was among the biggest in the state, that's certainly one way to cut costs.

So in short, I'm happy to see HawTel fight back against Oceanic. It well within their right to do so.
    I agree. Now, it's up to Oceanic to respond. How are they going to continue to service their phone customers during power outage? Can't they feed a little power through their cable, include a RJ-111 converter to use any one of the Princess model corded telephone?

and their billing system is still messed up. I cancelled an extra phone line in August, which their customer service people acknowledge, and kept getting billed for it. Every month I'd call and they'd say the person I spoke with in the prior month forgot to do something or did something wrong so it wasn't properly reflected in my records but the person I was speaking with would make sure it was fixed. But I still wasted/continue to waste time every month talking to them about the billing because they're showing an amount past due and I don't want it to affect my credit history since Hawaiian Telcom admits that I don't owe them that amount even if it appears on my billing. In November, the person I spoke with finally said that they couldn't fix it, that billing was a separate department so that customer service would put in a request to the billing department but the billing department was so backlogged that they wouldn't be able to fix my bill until January so to just ignore the bills and pay what I think is correct to pay until they get my billing fixed in January. Well, I just got another Hawaiian TelCom bill and it's still not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I agree. Now, it's up to Oceanic to respond. How are they going to continue to service their phone customers during power outage? Can't they feed a little power through their cable, include a RJ-111 converter to use any one of the Princess model corded telephone?

Hawaiian Telcom has backup generators at their Central offices which provide backup power in the event of a power outage. The cable headends have backup power. But the individual neighborhood nodes do not have backup power. If Oceanic wants to provide genuine carrier grade service, each node would have to have backup power.
    The Kona Blog

They hired a replacement to Mike Ruley. Stephen Cooper, a turnaround expert.

The cable headends have backup power. But the individual neighborhood nodes do not have backup power. If Oceanic wants to provide genuine carrier grade service, each node would have to have backup power.
    Well, will Oceanic remedy that in case of future power outages?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Hawaiian Telcom has backup generators at their Central offices which provide backup power in the event of a power outage. The cable headends have backup power. But the individual neighborhood nodes do not have backup power. If Oceanic wants to provide genuine carrier grade service, each node would have to have backup power.
    Aaron, some of these nodes are located in closets of people's homes too. My brother in law works for Oceanic as a fiber installer in Honolulu and he has a home in Ewa Beach. Oceanic pays him $500 per month rent to house a node in a closet in one of his bedrooms. I'm not sure if part of that rent is used to offset electrical useage to power the node.

Hawaian Telecom on the other hand has central offices that are typically housed in large unmarked concrete (sometimes wood) buildings throughout neighborhoods. They're easy to find as they look so out of place with a crapload of phone lines running in and out of it.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Aaron, some of these nodes are located in closets of people's homes too. My brother in law works for Oceanic as a fiber installer in Honolulu and he has a home in Ewa Beach. Oceanic pays him $500 per month rent to house a node in a closet in one of his bedrooms.
    Interesting! I aways thought the phone company had a better infrastructure for the future then cable, just as soon as they take care of the copper to the home. Thanks for confirming that.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Gee my sister in law writes a scathing letter to Walter Dodds about how Hawaiian Telecom's CEO did such a crappy job and look what happens Ya know Dodds is one of the chief investors of Hawaiian Telecom right?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Thumbs up Re: Hawaiian Telcom

Props! It never ceases to amaze me how many incompetent fools find their way into upper management. Out those crusty batards!
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Default Hawaiian Telcomm Nightmares..

Since the Carlyle Group bought out Verizon here in the islands, it has been second rate at best. Long distance calls are terrible. The connections resemble the kind you'd get in the 80's....plenty of crackling sounds in the background. The very sounds one would hear in a fireplace! But that is not why I've started this thread.
    It has come to my attention that several people have had some real nightmares with Hawaiian Tel Comm. So here is my nightmare to add to the pile.
    Over here ,on the Big Island we pay more for just about everything. But this is crazy. Through Hawaiian tel Comm our monthly bill was around $39.00 a month after their three month intro rate of $9.99 for DSL, it went up to the $39.00 a month rate . But our current bill jumped up to over $300.00 Why? They never billed us for the landline/phone service for seven months. Then the realized their mistake, and now they billing us for their mistakes that goes back seven months! I might also add that the first phone number they(HTC) gave us a phone number that belonged to some other business!!! So for three months I got phones calls for some nursery in Hilo, and was billed for that service too! Is this messed up or what? Should I have to pay back the owed money in one lump sum as they want it? Or should I be able to set the terms of the payback since they messed up?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast