Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hawaiian Telcom

Default Re: Hawaiian Telcomm Nightmares..

Hawaiian Telcom's billing has been a mess since Carlyle took over. I'm still trying to straighten out a phone # I cancelled mid last year. It took me a year to straighten out another number. And, yet another number that I had the service changed to a much less costly service, continued deducting my checking account for the higher amount (over 12 times higher) for about 4 months. Finally, after many complaints and promises that the problem was fixed, a customer service rep suggested I stop automatic payment altogether and not sign up for it again until after the mess was straightened out. That took a few more months. I felt like I had a 2nd full time job trying to get this mess under control. Each time I spoke with customer service I logged the date, time, name and brief notes. Each time I had to call back to complain once again, I read that information to the latest CS rep. Each rep promised s/he fixed the problem. The following month the bills didn't reflect the fix. I'd call again, each time being told that there was either no notes on my account from the previous CS rep or that the previous CS rep had submitted the change inaccurately. Talk about frustration!

To answer your question...yes, you will have to retroactively pay for charges for services even tho' it was HT's billing error. Have you contacted them to see if you can work out a payment plan?

The number for the nursery in Hilo might've been a business number which costs more than a residential number. Ask HT to check into that, too.

Must admit I haven't had the same experience as you regarding long distance calls. I am, however, not happy with their cell service.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Default Re: Hawaiian Telcomm Nightmares..

You think that's bad...when my wife moved her office from one room to another room in the same building, she had to get her DSL line transferred as well.

A Hawaiian Telecom technician came out and ran the new office lines (three of them) to the punch block and I came in and wired their entire office. The phones worked fine but in order for my wife to get their DSL service up, Hawaiian Telecom had to reprogram the CO to communicate with her DSL modem since the twisted pair was different than the one dedicated to her old office.

Hawaiian Telecom told her it would take a week to get their DSL line back up and running. Well four weeks later my wife still has no DSL service to connect to PATCH's servers on Oahu thru a VPN. So I run a physical telephone line from her old office to her new office just so they can get their internet service up and running.

Oh by the way Hawaiian Telecom was charging my wife for DSL service the whole time she was without it in her new office because the existing service was still running in the old office despite no DSL modem hooked up and running on it.

Hawaiian Telecom sucks big time. I hope this new restructuring guru they hired fixes all the f*ck ups that the current management team made.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Default Re: Hawaiian Telcom

now, can we just get rid of ALL the darn phone books?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    I agree! It used to be that telephone books were useful for getting connected. Now, these weighty monstrosities are only useful as doorstops (very heavy doorstops) or, as we did at our office recently, to use as a backing for a ramp so that we could roll off a multi-function printer/copier. Using the internet to find phone numbers/companies is easier, and much more eco-friendly.

some people don't have internet access so they should call the phone company and ask to have one (1) delivered.

honoruru: knew someone that made a christmas tree with the enormous tome! lol.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

I wished Hawaiian Telecom would start publishing the directory mainly on the internet or at least a CD as an option to the paper directory. Heck you could even download it onto your smart phone and really have a contact list. With today's 8Gb SD cards available, you could probably put an entire directory on one SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    [...]Now, these weighty monstrosities are only useful as doorstops (very heavy doorstops) or, as we did at our office recently, to use as a backing for a ramp so that we could roll off a multi-function printer/copier.[...]
    And don't forget they come in handy for post-highchair toddlers seated at the dining room table!

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I wished Hawaiian Telecom would start publishing the directory mainly on the internet or at least a CD as an option to the paper directory. Heck you could even download it onto your smart phone and really have a contact list. With today's 8Gb SD cards available, you could probably put an entire directory on one SD card.

brilliant idea!!!!
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

I'm remembering a CD or DVD a few years back. Can't remember the company but it was the Yellow Pages, iirc. Maybe it was the Paradise Yellow Pages? They left a bunch of disks with me which I left out for people to take. I never used it but I sure would now.

I think Carlyle seriously underestimated the magnitude of migrating 80 backoffice systems from the mainland back to Hawaii. They gave Bearing Point a year to do the systems integration. Now you can see the results of that poor decision via huge financial losses and a bad public image.

But there has been some bright spots. They've invested in building the infrastructure to offer up to 11Mbps/1Mbps speeds here. If Verizon still owned Hawaiian Telcom, it would be unlikely that we'd be seeing those speeds. Hell would have to freeze over if we were to get FiOS.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    I understand there's a bill going though now that seeks to require that phone books be requested. I know what I've seen is that a pile of books lands by the mailbox and then sits there for months until we finally have to have them hauled off. There's what, 3 different phone books now? Enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I wished Hawaiian Telecom would start publishing the directory mainly on the internet or at least a CD as an option to the paper directory.
    I think they do have a CD, but you may have to buy that one. I'll have to check.

Edit: I found this site: http://www.htyellowpages.com/

I did see a reference to CD-ROM, but I think it's aimed at businesses.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; February 10th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.

=GeckoGeek;184243]I understand there's a bill going though now that seeks to require that phone books be requested. I know what I've seen is that a pile of books lands by the mailbox and then sits there for months until we finally have to have them hauled off. There's what, 3 different phone books now? Enough!!!

yep. heard about this.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I understand there's a bill going though now that seeks to require that phone books be requested. I know what I've seen is that a pile of books lands by the mailbox and then sits there for months until we finally have to have them hauled off. There's what, 3 different phone books now? Enough!!!

I think they do have a CD, but you may have to buy that one. I'll have to check.

Edit: I found this site: http://www.htyellowpages.com/

I did see a reference to CD-ROM, but I think it's aimed at businesses.
    I'd like to see the entire white/green/yellow pages on one disk. Or at least three separate disks. I would imagine that making an optical disk whether it's one or three is a lot cheaper than printing two (for each island/county) telephone books. Plus you can always update the media if it's online as opposed to disk or book.

Can you imagine if it's online and allowed to be copied to disk or some kind of removable media? Then Hawaiian Telecom can make changes to businesses and residents that hook up new or change existing telephone services mid year instead of waiting for the next published book. Plus if there's a mistake in your business phone number, it can be changed immediately and all Hawaiian Telcom customer's would get the heads up on a group email broadcast. Then you simply reburn another disk or reload the updated information onto your flash drive or SD card.

Think about all the paper saved as well as distribution costs for delivery. Heck a thousand disks weigh a lot less than a thousand telephone books and takes less warehouse space to store them than books.

I went to that link and it does have an online search for both yellow and white. I think that online search is pretty good.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 11th, 2008 at 09:39 AM.

There's one BIG reason why phone companies still print a yellow pages.

it still makes LOTS of money. To advertisers, it's a guaranteed way to be put in the hands of everyone that has a phone line (land line).

Many people that have high speed internet may think otherwise, but there are more people that don't have internet than do...

and the stats for usage data favors the printed book as well

"US adults referenced them over 15 billion times last year. And thatís just the print versions. 90% of all adults reference them at least once a year, 75% in a typical month, and 50+% on average month."

I agree as for me it's a waste... but the money and business behind it make it why you can't find readily easy how to opt out of receiving one (which you can if you call the phone company)

If they make it "easy" for people to opt out, they will not be able to support their usage data and will start losing business (the printed version). right now they make money from both the printed AND online listings. Why would they want to get rid of half of that income?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123