This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 9

Killer carne asada burrito from Diego's. The boss picks up lunch for the office when we come in on quasi-holidays.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

Went and tried Poke Stop in Waipahu, next to Sizzler's, just off Ft. Weaver road. Owned and operated by Elmer Guzman formerly Exec Chef at Sam Choy's and trained under Emeril. Anyway, must recommend if you're looking for "gourmet" plate lunches. Had the combo of seared ahi and salmon belly....very ono! BTW, lots of Poke too, which I intend to try on my next visit.

Comment

tempura udon at Jimbos. It was good but next time I think I will try their curry (which smelled great!)

Comment

Pork and Shrimp Sari Sari (mixed filipino vegetable soup), Pinapaiatan (neva mind), Pork and Shrimp Balatong (Mungo Beans) with tang kong (ong choy) leaves, Pusit (squid) Adobo, and Rice from New Cafe Dalisay on Maunakea Street in Chinatown.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Cheeseburgers and a bottle of water.

Comment

Jumbo Jacks and a can of Mountain Dew.

Comment

The wife and our youngest joined glossyp and I at The Mandarin Cafe on Cooke Street (technically 725 Kapiolani, or Imperial Plaza). Koreanized Chinese... less sweet, more spicy. It was wonderful. Sweet sour pork (deliciously crunchy), a beef long rice dish, champong (spicy seafood and vegetable soup), and za jang men, which glossyp affectionately calls "axle grease," a thick, thick, thick noodle dish that just screams "comfort food."

For dessert, their unusual glazed apple treat (battered and deep fried, glazed with sugar, cinnamon and sesame seeds, and cooled to crisp deliciousness in an ice water bath). It was great, although it took 'em twenty minutes to make. The shocked look on the server's face when we ordered it makes me think some poor kitchen worker had to run over to Foodland for some apples!

Comment

I walked to the Manapua Truck on Pua Lane. I puchased the following:

cheese burger $1.00
                  french fries $1.00
                  fried noodles $1.00
                  1 fried chicken thigh 75 cents
                  1 T cookie 45 cents
                  1 almond cookie 45 cents
                  1 pepsi 60 cents
                  1 a&w root beer 60 cents

Total = $ 5.85 no tax

No. I didn't eat it all. I saved the cookies and pepsi for laterz!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    and za jang men, which glossyp affectionately calls "axle grease," a thick, thick, thick noodle dish that just screams "comfort food."
                    I assume the last photo is the za jang men. It looks so thick and spicy. Do you (or can you) drink the soup? Or is it just used as a sauce?

Comment

BBQ sandwich, pineapple-taro sweet bread, and Tim's Sweet Maui Onion Rings... mmmm... lucky we live by Uwajimaya

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        I assume the last photo is the za jang men. It looks so thick and spicy. Do you (or can you) drink the soup? Or is it just used as a sauce?
                        Actually, that's the champong. The broth isn't that thick, and I suppose you could slurp it... but I got full off the veggies and seafood anyway. The za jang men (glossyp's "axle grease") looks like this:

Thick, dense, heavy, black, slimy... and delicious. You could just tell it was a "comfort food." When the fridge is bare and the air outside is cold, I can just imagine sitting crosslegged in a small Seoul apartment slurping down this stuff and going to bed sated.

Comment

Jumbo Jacks and a can of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Chicken pasta, mac salad, mixed veggies and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              CHILI! World Class Chili, Pike Place Market - Texas style (diced beef), medium heat, over small shell pasta, topped with shredded cheddar, oyster crackers on the side, and a Dr. Pepper.
                              http://worldclasschili.com/
                              ...+ onions = today's lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                The za jang men (glossyp's "axle grease") looks like this: [...] Thick, dense, heavy, black, slimy... and delicious. You could just tell it was a "comfort food." When the fridge is bare and the air outside is cold, I can just imagine sitting crosslegged in a small Seoul apartment slurping down this stuff and going to bed sated.
                                Pzarquon, thank you for introducing me to another place on Oahu that serves Za Jang Men! That dish is one of my favorite comfort foods from my childhood. I make it a point to seek out and try it from every restaurant that I find serving it. I've not been to Mandarin, but thanks to you, I will soon. I wonder if your "less sweet, more spicy" description applies to how they make this dish, which would be good. (I think many Korean restaurants are too sweet, not spicy enough)

You can also find this dish at:
                                On Dong, Eastern Paradise, and Wang's Garden, and a hole-in-the-wall place in Wahiawa
                                Used to be served at:
                                Jade's Garden (Peking) on Keeaumoku, and I never got to try the one at the now closed Korean restaurant at 99 Ranch Market

Know of any others?
                                Last edited by mapen; October 12, 2006, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X