This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 9

Steamed manapua made at home (I had leftover char siu) and chow fun.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
      Pzarquon, thank you for introducing me to another place on Oahu that serves Za Jang Men! That dish is one of my favorite comfort foods from my childhood. I make it a point to seek out and try it from every restaurant that I find serving it.
      Well, I pass the thanks on to glossyp, who'd been urging us to try The Mandarin Cafe because of this dish for months. It's great to read what za jang men means to you, and that it's actually on the menu elsewhere (our outing was the first I'd ever heard of it!). I'm curious, now, too, to taste how it might vary.

I'd say the "less sweet, more spicy" is more a general observation of the Korean approach to Chinese food at The Mandarin Cafe... notable especially since local interpretations of Chinese and Korean food definitely trend too sweet. The za jang men itself had a more overall "smoky" flavor to me... unusual, but still good. Sticks to your ribs, as they say.

ObTopic: So delicious was this lunch on Tuesday, I'm a bit embarassed to report that I ended up at McDonald's today. Chicken Selects.

Comment

Polish sausage, chicken bake and a cup of Diet Coke from Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          I'm curious, now, too, to taste how it might vary.

notable especially since local interpretations of Chinese and Korean food definitely trend too sweet. The za jang men itself had a more overall "smoky" flavor to me... unusual, but still good. Sticks to your ribs, as they say.
          I love the descriptions...thick, dense, black, slimy, delicious, axle grease, stick to your ribs. So true :-) If you or your dining partners want to try a variation of this dish, On Dong (King St, makai, between Kalakaua & Kaheka) and Wang's Garden (Pearl Kai shopping center across from Pearl Ridge) both have "Gan Za Jang Men", which is a Seafood version. Basically they add small shrimp to the sauce. The sauce is so thick that you might not notice or taste them though, which is why I usually stick with the regular :-) BTW, this dish is available in packaged frozen versions at the Korean groceries, and even in a dry package version at Daiei/Don Quijote. These restaurants are Northern Chinese, which is spicier than Southern Chinese. I likee.

I'm sorry to have gone so far off this thread's topic
          Last edited by mapen; October 14, 2006, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Mapen, I'm so stoked to hear that Wang's Garden is still at Pearl Kai!

My late husband and I used to LOVE going to that place! Small, nothing fancy, but oh, the food!

Now, that was WAY before my Little Village Noodle House experiences, but if shopping out that way, I would totally go back to Wang's Garden and revisit the Kung Pao Chicken I remember so fondly.

OT: I don't yet know what's for lunch, but I'm working up some hunger and have yet to make my Costco trip today. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
            Last edited by Erika Engle; October 14, 2006, 11:56 AM. Reason: Tried to get back OT
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Noodles, a couple of chicken choices, spring rolls and a cup of Mountain Dew from U Choice Drive Inn.

Comment

Chinese 5-spice duck with noodle soup from Thai One On (yes. that is the real name of the place). This is one of my absolute favorite Thai soups in all the world (but then, anything with duck with it is usually good in my book).

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Can of chicken breast.

Comment

Char siu chicken, brown rice, mixed veggies from the HCC Cafeteria and a bottle of Mountain Dew from a vending machine along the way between the cafeteria and my office.

Comment

I am having a cheese and cherry tomato Quesida with water.
                      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Classic Italian Sub from Quizno's. I'm addicted.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

The "Catch of the Day" at Nico's Pier 38---pan-seared striped marlin with caper sauce. Mac salad and rice, diet Pepsi.

Hubby had chicken katsu, nalo greens, rice, fries. His was free, thanks to the coupon in the Entertainment book that I bought from a co-worker.

Comment

I had some garlic chicken from Grindz Restaurant as taken from Auntie Lynn. I checked out other places people posted in the downtown food thread, so I kinda ran into it as I got hungry.

(sorry to go OT here)
                            The description was right on. You had to hunt for it to find this hole in the wall place (there's a sign pointing at the door) but you enter through the kitchen, where the cooks great you. Compared to the other places I ate at downtown, I had my food in a couple of minutes.

Anyone got breath mints?
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Leftover chicken katsu from dinner last night. I'm a humble man, but I dare say my katsu turns out pretty darn perfectly!

Comment

Yummmy! I was downtown! I went to Rada's Paroski. A Beef and Cheese foa me, Fried Squid, and a serving of Pancit Noodles. Den I went to Starbucks and ordered a Fappachino(s) Mocha (no whipped cream) dey was all out!

I'm home. Stuffed.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X