Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by timkona
    Considering that Kamehameha killed thousands of men, women, & children by tossing them over a cliff...
    Originally posted by sinjin
    Where do you get your information suggesting women and children were driven off the Nu'uanu Pali?
    Originally posted by Jewlipino
    yea seriously, it was nothing but warriors up there. I don't think that women and children were involved.
    Like I’ve said repeatedly, perhaps timkona would benefit from taking (or retaking) Hawaiian History 101. I don’t think he’ll do it, just so when he gets called for posting bullsh*t, he can feign ignorance (though so far upon being gonged, he generally responds with silence).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Ka Mo‘olelo o Kahahana, ka Hopena
      And because there were too many men, women. and children, children were thrown off a cliff,. and many people died.> 58. Kalaniulumoku, a son of Kamehameha ...

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/ka_hooi...1.2kamakau.pdf

This was all I could find on the internet. The source of my comment is a book I read many years ago. I cannot recall the title.

But I aint makin it up, as you probably wish I was.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I actually thought what Timkona posted might be true. I've read that a Hawaiian warrior's wife usually accompanied him into battle.

http://www.spiritofaloha.com/place/1199/place.html
        Kekuaokalani's wife, the high-born chiefess Manono, fought bravely at his side. A name chant for her tells of their travels through the pandanus groves and fields of Kona. She is described as a loving helpmate, carrying supplies for him and smoothing out a resting place in the open.

It was common for women, especially those of rank, to go into battle with their husbands. A wife's final duties to her mate were to protect his mortal remains from the enemy and to plead for his life if the attacker were a relative or if there were blood relationships to be preserved.

Manono's pleas were disregarded and much life was lost at Kuamo'o, including her own. Her lifeless body fell upon her husband's, and like the other fallen warriors, heaps of lava stone (which are visible today) were piled over them. Also lost that day were the remains of the old religion and traditional worship of the gods, for the supporters of the kapu had been defeated.
        Regardless of the truth, I don't think it is fair to characterize Kamehameha and his warriors as blood thirsty savages. There were many similarities between ancient Hawaiian culture and the tribal cultures of Europe. I just read the following article comparing Hawaii to Scotland. The Scots in Braveheart the movie seemed very similar to the Kanaka Maoli. Haoles were not all the same to them back then as they are now.

http://www.coffeetimes.com/scotland.html
        Last edited by Paul; August 21, 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

TuNnL -- apparently you missed this earlier:

Originally Posted by TuNnL
          I’m happy to be a non-Hawaiian defending Native Hawaiians
          And your qualifications for doing that are... ?
          And the native Hawaiians who asked you, as an outsider, to defend them are... ?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            TuNnL -- apparently you missed this earlier:
            Or maybe TuNnL just decided to ignore you...

Comment

Maybe TuNnL was in a tunnel and couldn't hear ya?

I think they got a point...

Back to Statehood thread...

The only thing that trips me out is... why would they have a Hawaii Statehood event 6 years ago in another state at all?
              I can understand why Hawaiians wouldn't want it done there... so why couldn't Slom take it somewhere else? Like say the convention center or something?

Comment

There is a historic appropriateness to holding statehood celebrations on the palace grounds. It's where statehood was initiated and ultimately granted AND the previous home of the State Legislature (which despite the wishes of sovereignty activists is the TRUE sovereign power in Hawaii). Furthermore the Palace belongs to the State and thus ALL of its residents (not just Hawaiian ones). There are far more non-Hawaiian Hawaiians (I'm gonna start calling my jewlipino arse Hawaiian just to be obnoxious, hell if I was from California I'd be a Californian) who celebrate and are proud of their American heritage than native Hawaiians and they should have the right to celebrate joining the Union if they want without harassment, just as the Hawaiians have the right to disagree with those of us not of kanaka blood (notice I said disagree, not badger and harass). On one level it was confrontational for Sen. Slom to hold his celebration on Palace grounds, but it provoked a discussion of the issue which is important within itself. After all we are all residents in Hawaii and regardless of the wishes of some sectors of the population we all have a right to be here and don't appear to be leaving anytime soon, we may as well start getting along.

Jewlipino

Comment

Every state in the union commemorates the day it joined the union, but some states don't mark it with anything special (e.g., a holiday or special celebrations, unless it happens to mark a milestone, like the Bicentenntial or Centennial). The people of Hawai'i should be more like the people on the CONUS: if you get a day off for Statehoood Day, just take the day off. Go to the beach. Go shopping. Otherwise, if there is no holiday, just ignore it and go about your day like usual.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; August 21, 2006, 05:20 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Every state in the union commemorates the day it joined the union, but some states don't mark it with anything special (e.g., a holiday or special celebrations, unless it happens to mark a milestone, like the Bicentenntial or Centennial). The people of Hawai'i should be more like the people on the CONUS: if you get a day off for Statehoood Day, just take the day off. Go to the beach. Go shopping. Otherwise, if there is no holiday, just ignore it and go about your day like usual.

Miulang
                    Dang Miulang...

So what is Washingtons? I lived there for so long and I forgot? I don't remember it being celebrated there in Washington as much as here in Hawaii.

I don't think they gave us a day off in Washington like they do here in Hawaii!

Please correct me if I'm wrong Miulang.

Comment

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

In 1893, all it took was 1500 citizens and 150 Marines (who never fired a shot).

Considering that Kamehameha killed thousands of men, women, & children by tossing them over a cliff, I wonder what happened to that great warrior mentality. It is ironic that a bloodthirsty, savage murderer is revered in a land where his progeny did nothing to defend their nation.
                      These comments are offensive, they should be removed. Fwiw, you are an asshole Tim.

Comment

There is a historic appropriateness to holding statehood celebrations on the palace grounds. It's where statehood was initiated and ultimately granted AND the previous home of the State Legislature (which despite the wishes of sovereignty activists is the TRUE sovereign power in Hawaii). Furthermore the Palace belongs to the State and thus ALL of its residents (not just Hawaiian ones). There are far more non-Hawaiian Hawaiians (I'm gonna start calling my jewlipino arse Hawaiian just to be obnoxious, hell if I was from California I'd be a Californian) who celebrate and are proud of their American heritage than native Hawaiians and they should have the right to celebrate joining the Union if they want without harassment, just as the Hawaiians have the right to disagree with those of us not of kanaka blood (notice I said disagree, not badger and harass). On one level it was confrontational for Sen. Slom to hold his celebration on Palace grounds, but it provoked a discussion of the issue which is important within itself. After all we are all residents in Hawaii and regardless of the wishes of some sectors of the population we all have a right to be here and don't appear to be leaving anytime soon, we may as well start getting along.

Jewlipino

There are so many foolish comments in this post that it would be impossible to respond to them. Jewlpino. Please go home.

Aloha and don't let the thatched door hit you on the elemu on your way out.

You are the typical immigrant Hawaiian Wannabe.
                        Last edited by kamuelakea; August 21, 2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

In 1893, all it took was 1500 citizens and 150 Marines (who never fired a shot).

That's because Hawaiians, unlike Palestinians and Iraqis, are more passive when it comes to organized revolt. Maybe Hawaiians should start acting more like them and justice might occur a little faster??

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu
                            These comments are offensive, they should be removed. Fwiw, you are an asshole Tim.
                            TimKona is full of comments about Hawaii. What amazes me is that he stays in a place of which he expresses such contempt and hatred for its people. (And let's hope he spares us from his usual "I'm here to save you from yourselves" type defense.)
                            Coming to Hawaii was the best thing that ever happened to me. Employers loved me cuz I passed the drug test AND showed up to work on time. Women loved me cuz I had a job and was not abusive. I loved the warm ocean and was in it nearly every day for the first 4-5 years. I got into a few fights early in my stay here (none of which i started), and was very relieved to learn that nobody in Hawaii knew HOW to fight. (compared with N. Cali)
                            Joe's Auntie Tittah is on the Burial Council, so we can't build roads
                            Joe's Uncle BoBo attends all the planning meetings to protest houses
                            Joe's friend from the mainland is a real environmental go-getter and says no to just about everything
                            Joe's Grandpa in Hamakua always complains about how Hawaii has changed, but always brags about his 24 grandkids.

Comment

Hey Kam, how do you KNOW that the majority of Hawaiians didnt vote for statehood?

The vote was 94% in favor of statehood. Maybe Hawaiians did not vote.

Apathy is not a valid excuse for anything.

Doesn't matter. Because even if every Hawaiian voted against it, the immigrants would still have won. That makes the vote pointless.

But more importantly, it was illegal since Hawaii was never legally annexed to the United States since there was never a treaty. Ahhhh, those silly little Western details like laws and things. Don't you hate when they get in the way?
                              Last edited by kamuelakea; August 21, 2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

5) OK, Hawaiians get angry, they yell, who cares? In the court of public opinion the activists have made the Slom-ites look like the reasonable party and the activists look like a group of bitter people trying to force their view on others. You tell me who wins.Jewlipino
                                Maybe to the ignorant.

Picture this everyone.

Newt Gingrich, Norm Mineta (Japanese Transportation Sec), Tom Delay, Condi Rice, Alberto Gonzalez.

On July 4th, they go to an Indian reservation and find a sacred historical site. They sing patriotic songs and wear Statue of Liberty costumes. Then they even sing a Indian chant, in an Indian language, that honors Indian culture.

How stupid would they look????????

Here's what Sam Slom and his band of Haoles and Asians were singing.

Hawaii's own true sons, be loyal to your chief
                                Your country's liege and lord, the Alii.1
                                Father above us all, Kamehameha,2
                                Who guarded in the war with his ihe,

That is "Hawaii Ponoi". Thats what they were singing TO THE HAWAIIANS. Am I the only one laughing? Yes I am. Because most of Hawaii's Hawaiian Wannabe population of Haoles and Asians have convinced themselves that being Hawaiian is something anyone can decide to do at anytime. It's just a decision. So singing a song you cannot understand in a language you do not speak using words you don't agree with makes perfect sense as long as it helps you to "feel Hawaiian", juss like Ben Cayetano said.

This is a far deeper concept than most of you can grasp right now and more than I want to try to explain.

But suffice to say, Slom and his gang of clowns looked like fools once again perpetuating psychological cultural genocide through their ignorace and actions.
                                Last edited by kamuelakea; August 21, 2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X