Best Ramen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ramen

is a Japanese dish of noodles and broth originating in China.
    Ramen has a variety of toppings such as sliced pork, seaweed, kamaboko, green onions and even corn. Almost every locality, or "prefecture," in Japan has its own variation of ramen, from the tonkotsu ramen of Kyushu to the miso ramen of Hokkaido.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Ramen
    When I was growing up in the mainland... my mom would serve me "top ramen" and call it saimin. I didn't know what saimin officialy was until I moved to Hawaii much later in life.
    Saimin is a food developed in and unique to Hawaii. Inspired by Japanese ramen, Chinese mein, and Filipino pancit, saimin was developed during Hawaii's plantation era. It is a soup dish of soft wheat egg noodles served in hot dashi (stock from Japanese bonito fish or shrimp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saimin
    So what is your favorite brand? Or please list others...
    Top Ramen
    15.15%
    Nissin Cup of Noodles
    3.03%
    Maruchan
    9.09%
    Sapporo Ichiban
    24.24%
    Other (not listed)
    48.48%

Re: Best Ramen

I would think Top Ramen would rank higher because it is the most known ramen! I had never heard of anything else until I hit my late 20's...maybe I am sheltered.....

from noodles
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

we only eat da beef top ramen here in CA, but wen I do make it home to Kauai,only da Saimin shop in Lihue will do
      Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Ramen
        When I was growing up in the mainland... my mom would serve me "top ramen" and call it saimin. I didn't know what saimin officialy was until I moved to Hawaii much later in life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saimin
        So what is your favorite brand? Or please list others...
        You forgot S&S Saimin! We get 'em frozen up here. S&S is the saimin lots of places up here sell in their restaurants too.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by localgrl
          we only eat da beef top ramen here in CA, but wen I do make it home to Kauai,only da Saimin shop in Lihue will do
          Hamura Saimin, oh how I MISS YOU!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

How can you do a "best ramen" poll and only include instant ramen? Brrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              How can you do a "best ramen" poll and only include instant ramen? Brrrr.
              I'm a haole! Didn't even know what saimin meant until I moved to Hawaii...

Mom grew up here in Hawaii....and tried to pass the word down to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                You forgot S&S Saimin!
                Saimin, although a "localized" relative, is NOT the same as Ramen.

Saimin Ingredients (basic):
                Dashinomoto Soup Base
                Wheat Noodles
                Toppings usual are:
                Kamaboko (fish cake)
                Luncheon Meat
                Green Onions

Ramen Ingredients (basic):
                Shoyu/Pork Broth (ingredients vary greatly depending on the region of Japan it originates)
                Egg Noodles
                Toppings usually are:
                Menma (marinated Bamboo Shoots)
                Chashu (Japanese version of Charsiu pork)
                Negi (Japanese Scallion)
                Nori (dried seaweed)

Manoa, as Glenn mentioned, only instant/dry choices on your poll? The Ramen gods are angry!

O.K., if we're goin' with the packaged variety, I choose Sun Noodle's Shoyu Ramen. That's the fresh one you find in the refrigerator section. It's as close as I've tasted to that of the Chashumen (Pork Noodle) we used to eat in a small shop tucked away behind a Ginza alley in Tokyo.

Hopefully folks will chime in on the great ramen SHOPS around town.

I used to love Daruma, which was located on Keeaumoku st. at the front of the former Samsung Plaza.

There was also a great hole-in-the-wall in Waikiki called Ito Guruma. I'm sure there's some great ones today that we need to hear about.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I like going to Taishoken, that place is really good.

http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono...taishoken.html

they do tsukemen and ramen, and their gyoza are really good.

Comment

Ezogiku is great (but you gotta eat at the University one). I just had Hamura's for lunch yesterday and Monday. I'm getting tired of it
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Nori's here in Hilo is my favorite.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        Nori's here in Hilo is my favorite.
                        'Funnit!... Nori's (Big Island) and Hamura's (Kauai), like Shiro's (Oahu) are SAIMIN shops, NOT Ramen shops!

Please stay On-Topic.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                          Ezogiku is great (but you gotta eat at the University one). I just had Hamura's for lunch yesterday and Monday. I'm getting tired of it

That's one place I miss a lot. They have that combo with the Saimin and the pot stickers (gyoza) for a really decent price.

And Blueyecicle if you gotta put Top Ramen in the mix then at least try Ichiban Saimin. As the name says it all, Number 1 if you prefer that kind of saimin.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I don't even know where to get anything but Top Ramen and that stuff in a styrofoam bowl....I don't know the name I just know I ate the KIM CHEE flavor once.
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                              Ezogiku is great (but you gotta eat at the University one).
                              I love Ezogiku as well; I've been to the University one, as well as ones in Vancouver BC & Japan. We ate a lot of ramen in shops in Japan, one of which leads to this story:

We were looking around Ebisu for a specific shop that specialized in spicy ramen, called "King of Hell Ramen," but couldn't find it. We asked a resident, who told us it had closed, so we went to another shop we found nearby. As I'm a bit of a (*ahem*) "selective" eater, the AF (who speaks Nihongo) was trying to ask the ramen-master about ingredients, as I don't like most veggies and can't eat mushrooms. They went outside to look at the pictures of the bowls, and the AF used her limited vocabulary to explain my preferences.

Finally, they came to an understanding, and returned to the shop, where the ramen-master took one look at me and said, in very clear English:
                              "You need to eat more greens!"

His English was much better than the AF's Japanese, but he was pleased at her efforts. We had a wonderful dual-language conversation over the meal, which included our complaints at the dearth of good ramen in Seattle. After a few minutes in the back room, the ramen-master returned with several packets of ramen broth-makings for us to take home! (After getting back to Seattle, we shipped him an assortment of foods from here, including salmon.)

Comment

Working...
                              X