Best Ramen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saimin Shops....

Try Shige's in Wahiawa....great homemade noodles that are not mushy....broth is wonderful! Owned by Ross and Joann...his family used to own a place called Nakai's in Haleiwa....across from Haleiwa Theatre. Nakai's had the best bbq sticks and burgers....all cooked over an open-flame....doesn't get any better......

Hamura's on Kauai and Nori's in Hilo have my vote as well....

Comment

Re: Best Ramen

Leo Lakio, just curious, but what's an AF?
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        'Funnit!... Nori's (Big Island) and Hamura's (Kauai), like Shiro's (Oahu) are SAIMIN shops, NOT Ramen shops!

Please stay On-Topic.
        Sorry! BTW... I hate Ramen
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
          Sorry! BTW... I hate Ramen
          That's ramenism, you ramenist!
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
            Leo Lakio, just curious, but what's an AF?
            Goes way back to an early thread, trying to find a term to describe my girlfriend, since "girlfriend" seemed inadequate for an eleven-year relationship, where we cohabitate, own property together, etc., but are not married. My favorite suggestion was "Alpha Female," so that's what I use now - often abbreviated.
            Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
            That's ramenism, you ramenist!
            And THAT's funny!

Comment

Re: Best Ramen & Saimin

O.K. you ramenists, saiminists or whatevahs, what's your favorite Ramen or Saimin toppings and side dishes?

> Kamaboko (Fish Cake)
              > Spam (Luncheon Meat)
              > Charsiu (or Chashu)
              > Boiled Egg (or quail egg)
              > Nori
              > Menma (Marinated Bamboo Shoots)
              > Green Onions or Negi (Japanese Scallion)
              > Wonton
              > Bean Sprouts
              > Kim Chee
              > Gyoza on the side
              > Hamburger on the side
              > Teriyaki Beef or Chicken stick on the side
              > Tempura on, or on the side
              > An ice cold beer
              > Other?

The Saiminist side of me chooses Chashu, Nori, Menma, Negi and a boiled quail egg. The Ramenist side of me chooses Hamburger (ala Zippy's!) on da' side!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I refuse to eat packaged ramen noodle bricks. That stuff'll kill ya. Bleh!

Comment

Re: Best Ramen & Saimin

Originally posted by Pomai
                  > Kamaboko (Fish Cake)
                  > Spam (Luncheon Meat)
                  > Charsiu (or Chashu)
                  > Nori
                  > Green Onions or Negi (Japanese Scallion)
                  The above.

As for bean sprouts...moyashi nai!

Comment

I wanted to vote for two brands of ramen, but could only choose one.

I was raised with Sapporo Ichiban; my mom always managed to find it where ever we lived on the mainland. Her head must have nearly exploded when we moved to Hawaii and she encountered the vast selection at the supermarkets!

Now that I'M a mom, I buy what's on sale, and Maruchan and Top Ramen are always, it seems, cheaper than Sapporo Ichiban.

I like the new flavors that have become available in recent years, sesame chicken, mushroom ... and my current favorite, though I don't know how Asian it tastes -- is creamy chicken.

Due to concerns about fat and cholesterol, I learned from my mom to drain the water and put new water (and let it come back up to temp.) before adding the soup base.

I'm not a fan of the Cup Noodle products -- but I DO love the Nong Shim Hot and Spicy Bowl Noodle! They also offer Kimchi flavor, (their spelling, not mine) but I don't like it as much as the other.

Ezogiku ROCKS. Their ramen is wonderful, but it's the gyoza that keeps me coming back. Sumo Ramen is also good -- their spicy mabo tofu ramen is really yummy.

Shiro's Saimin Haven has so many choices -- it's hard to decide. It's really good, though.

One thing that cracks me up at ramen/saimin/plate lunch places is that char siu is almost always misspelled on the menus -- to the point where I find myself wondering if it's SUPPOSED to be spelled char s-u-i ... but maybe that's due to confusion over hog-calling contests?
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

FWIW - at Ed Cases Politcal booth at the Kauai Farm Fair...they were giving away "Top Ramen" Packages.

He was also seen running around the fairgrounds giving away packages of it too people as they shook hands etc.

Comment

I'm no branding or marketing or campaigning expert, but whaaat? Giving away ramen packs?

So, the message is:

- Case feeds the hungry? (or the freebie-seeker?)
                        - You're so poor, this free food will make you grateful enough to vote for me? (But what if I'm homeless and have no way to cook it?)
                        - Sparky was famous for his navy bean soup, I'll be famous for the dehydrated/reconstituted ramen I serve office visitors in DC?
                        - I'm LOCAL too!(?)
                        - I'm the "Top" candidate and will use my noodle in DC?

Well, if Jeremy Harris can give away ice cold slices of watermelon to parched Kailua 4th of July Parade viewers, (which made total sense and was greatly appreciated in the heat of the day), I guess Ed can give away ramen.

Comment

Ok in all fairness...

Other politicians BOOTHS were giving away bottles of water...(it was $2.00 at the fair anywhere else)

Another was giving away Frisbees...etc...

However, it was CASE himself handing out Ramen Packs.... (5 for a dollar??? compared to the prices of 5 bottles of water?)

Also, seen personally in the crowd was Matt Matsunaga... etc...

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            Ok in all fairness...
                            Other politicians BOOTHS were giving away bottles of water...(it was $2.00 at the fair anywhere else)
                            Another was giving away Frisbees...etc...
                            However, it was CASE himself handing out Ramen Packs.... (5 for a dollar??? compared to the prices of 5 bottles of water?)
                            So, he was CHARGING for them? ... like as a fundraiser?
                            Now I'M the one that's confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                              So, he was CHARGING for them? ... like as a fundraiser?
                              Now I'M the one that's confused.
                              No Cases booth was giving the ramen away for free.... however... the cost of one package of ramen is nothing compared to the cost of one bottle of water... which a few of the other politicians were giving away for free....

No get me wrong...I think they may have had water at their booth to give away like in small cups or something... (however, I didn't see it...what I saw was the free packages of Top Ramen and I was also told he personally attempted to give someone I was close to a bag of Ramen along w/ the handshake...etc)

Erika...don't make this ramengate
                              Last edited by damontucker; August 27, 2006, 06:36 PM.

Comment

When I first moved to town from Waianae in 1964, my room mate & I were so poor that we survived on the dry noodle soup packages with the little seasoning pack (plain, just the hot water), peanut butter, & crackers that a waitress friend would keep us supplied with and not much else. To this day, I avoid those kind soups like the plague! They have such bad memories attached. Kind of wonder though - how come I still like peanut butter & crackers?
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X