Best Ramen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ramen

Sheesh, people talk like those packaged saimins are a plague.

Are thoses really bad? And if so, then what should we start eating?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      Sheesh, people talk like those packaged saimins are a plague.

Are thoses really bad?
      Are you kidding me? With the MSG and preservatives?

I have one in front of me:

14 grams of fat! In saturated fat you're getting 36% of your daily allowance right there!

1,560mg of Sodium! (from the seasoning packet) that's 66% of your daily allowance.

And then there's absolutely nothing of nutritional value in these noodles, except they're forced to use enriched flour so you'll get some trace amount of vitamins.

People assume that packaged ramen noodles are like dried noodles (like pasta). Most packaged noodles are fried in palm oil (which is practically the worst type of cooking oil you can use).
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

No, those pack of ramen & saimin noodles kept me going when I couldn't afford anything else except peanut butter. I no longer eat any noodle such as ramen or saimin simply because it reminds me of those days. Those days were not very much fun for me.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Re: Best Ramen: Sun Noodle

Here's a bowl of Chashumen I prepared last night, made from Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen...

Chashumen made with Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen with Gyoza and Ponzu Sauce on the side. I could've done better on presentation here, but I was in a rush to get the shot and eat the stuff before it got cold.

For the Ramen, the tan strips on the bottom left corner are Menma (Bamboo Shoots). The two small hard boiled eggs are Quail. I made the Chashu (Charsiu) by simmering pork in Sake, Mirin, Shoyu and fresh Ginger, then placing thin slices in ramen as shown. There's also Nori and Negi (Japanese Scallion). Notice the yellowish color of the FRESH (not dried) wheat and egg-based noodles. I also added some of the cooking broth from the Chashu into the bowl.

The Gyoza (pot stickers) are Ling Ling brand from Costco. Ponzu is Shirakiku brand.

Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen (manufactured in Kalihi) is available in the refrigerator section of most supermarkets around Oahu (not sure about the neighbor islands). Each package includes 2 servings of FRESH noodles and liquid broth packets.

Nutrition wise, 1/2 package contains 420 calories (calories from fat 40), 4.5 grams total fat, and 3,400 mg of sodium (not including garnishes as shown).

It's often on sale at Daiei for under $2.00 a package. Costco also has them in bulk packs of 3 for about the same unit price. There's several other flavors, including Miso and Tonkotsu.

To sum it up, Sun Noodle has captured the essence of authentic Japanese Ramen served in specialty shops and made it accessible for everyone to take home and enjoy. SUGOI OISHII DESU!
          Last edited by Pomai; August 28, 2006, 12:12 AM. Reason: corrected nutritional values
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I've eaten at every establishment in Lihue on my lunchbreak. I had to resort to eating at Hamura's AGAIN today.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Dam, Pomai - when ya cooking for the rest of us.....

Yummy!
              It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

i have never tryed that or heard of it
                *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiidreaming
                  i have never tryed that or heard of it
                  When you get to O`ahu, check out some of the places mentioned on this thread; try something new (and, of course, you'll have to report back to us and tell us what you thought.) Get yourself over to Ezogiku. At the most basic level, ramen & saimin are noodle soups, but with a lot of delicious options to go in them. If you find you like them, there are a lot of other kinds of noodles you can try, too, like udon and soba. You'll find a lot of noodle dishes end in the letters "men," "min" or "mein."

My preference is for ramen in a spicy miso broth, with char siu (slices of barbecued pork), kamaboko (fish cake), green onions and garlic. Spam would be welcomed, too. Second choice would be a curry chicken udon.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Tenkaippin yet? It's in Waikiki, on Kalakaua, sort of across the street from Beachwalk. If you haven't been there, you must give it a shot!

The broth is thicker than at other places, and sooooo tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
                      Has anyone mentioned Tenkaippin yet? It's in Waikiki, on Kalakaua, sort of across the street from Beachwalk. If you haven't been there, you must give it a shot!
                      Went to one in Kyoto - you are absolutely right, Paul. I finished off every drop of dashi.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        No Cases booth was giving the ramen away for free.... however... the cost of one package of ramen is nothing compared to the cost of one bottle of water... which a few of the other politicians were giving away for free....
                        Erika...don't make this ramengate
                        ...or worse -- another Watergate! (In this case, bottled-watergate.)
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Hey Paul -- howzit!!!

Boy this sounds good. I don't get into Waikiki very often -- and it's usually to cover or MC some sort of luncheon. Perhaps one weekend, after payday.

Where would/did you park when you went there?

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                            Hey Paul -- howzit!!!

Boy this sounds good. I don't get into Waikiki very often -- and it's usually to cover or MC some sort of luncheon. Perhaps one weekend, after payday.

Where would/did you park when you went there?

From Kalakaua, head mauka on Lewers and take your first left (Lauula??). As you head to the end of that street, you'll see parking there. I think we had to put some money in the pay box, but I can't remember. But you won't be sorry you had to pay for parking after you eat there.

Nevermind payday, get Nadine Kam to write about it and accompany her for free grinds.

Comment

Nevermind payday, get Nadine Kam to write about it and accompany her for free grinds.
                              Eat on the company dime/company time? Yeah, I could do that! Oh Nadine ...

Comment

Here's another bowl of Chashumen I made just about an hour ago for lunch...

Chashumen, "Tokyo Style": 1 serving Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen, low sodium chicken stock (for added broth flavor) and water. Toppings: Chashu (Japanese variant of Charsiu. Made from scratch; see previous post), Menma (marinated Bamboo shoots; that straw-looking stuff in the middle), Negi (Japanese LARGE green onion), Nori (that black thing on top) and Quail Eggs (with one slice of US grade medium egg for good measure). 2 tops of green onion for presentation.

Of course to make the meal complete, a side of Gyoza with Ponzu sauce are always in order..

Here's another shot of the packaging so you can see the fresh ramen noodles with wrapper removed...

As usual, this one comes out almost as great as the one from that little Ramen Shop in Ginza. Sugoi oishii desu!
                                Last edited by Pomai; September 4, 2006, 02:17 PM. Reason: more descriptive about ingredients
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X